Why Does Victoria Turn Blue?

RonH1932RonH1932 Posts: 9
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Sorry to refer to an older version, but I was only recently able to afford to replace my Poser 6 with Poser Pro 2010. The program's great--EXCEPT for one weird anomaly. I've Googled endlessly without finding a reference to it.

The problem is that when I load certain figures from my library they enter the scene with their body's diffuse color a light blue instead of the original white. When I render them they look like they're dead. Which annoys me because I don't do zombies. In order to get them to look right I have to go item by item through the materials list and change the diffuse color back to white.

I've had this happen most often with the Michael 4 and Victoria 4 figures, though a couple of random Millennium Kids figures also turned blue. If I save the re-colored characters as PZ3's and import them they stay fixed. But if I save a re-colored character back to the library it often reverts to the blue shade. For some reason Victoria 3 library figures open properly without changing colors.

What's going on? Is there at least some script or something for changing all the material colors so I don't have to step through the whole list?

I did not install Mike and Vic in Pro. I am loading them from my original Poser 6 runtime , which I added to Pro's library. Could this have something to do with them getting the blues?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

I find that using different lighting is the secret.

will try to do a couple of quick renders to show you what I mean

Edited to add these. Same default set up, (witht he blue colour added) and 3 different light sets, all IBL lighting

fae_demo_3.jpg
    629 x 642 - 52K
    fae_demo_1.jpg
    629 x 642 - 49K
    fae_demo_2.jpg
    629 x 642 - 44K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited October 2013

V4 I know loads with a light blue diffuse by default. As Cho suggested, it could be your lighting.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • English BobEnglish Bob Posts: 113
    edited December 1969

Before Poser had SSS (sub-surface scattering), some character makers simulated it by setting a small amount of red ambient in the skin tones, then offset it by setting the diffuse a light cyan colour. This may have got reasonable results in conventional lighting, but turn off the lights and the figure would glow in the dark..!

Although some of what you're saying contradicts this diagnosis, I imagine it may be a related condition. When I come across one of these character sets, I fix it easily using Dimension3D's Material Utilities scripts - the Modify Materials script enables you to select all the skin materials and perform the same action - in the above case it is set ambient colour to black (and/or value to 0) and diffuse colour to white.

• RonH1932RonH1932 Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for your help. Both adjusting the lighting and adjusting the diffuse color has helped a lot. The fact that these are older models seems to be the main culprit.