Questionnaire From Animation Contest Sponsor

One of the sponsors of an animation contest sent me a questionnaire about my entry. (I go by my middle name, Steve):

1. Hi Gary, would you please give a brief introduction about yourself?
I'm a retired chemical engineer who has used a slide rule.  My primary hobby is short computer 3D animations.
2. How did you make the decision to step into the CG industry?
I didn't.  Just a hobbyist.
3. Did you still remember your first CG work, how does it look like?
Probably something in Bryce/Poser, maybe a NVIATWAS.  
4. How did you know about the Renderosity Contest?
I've been a member of the Renderosity community for many years.  I'm not a modeler, I primarily purchase Poser format figures and props since they load seamlessly into Carrara Pro 8.5, my main software for animation.  ...
5. What inspired you to come out with the idea for making the work "A Christmas Caper"?
The contest was titled "The Ghosts of Christmas Past" which brought to mind the great Dickens' story "A Christmas Carol".  The animation is sort of a parody of that.
6. Did you meet any difficulties when creating this work? If yes, how did you solve it?
I participate in the 48 Hour Film contest here in Houston, which requires a 5 minute video (most are live action) in two days, starting with an assigned character (name & occupation) and prop, and a randomly drawn genre (about twenty total - comedy, western, noir, etc.)  Two days is very little time for a five minute animation, there is no time for re-thinking or re-anything.  In this contest, I had a month or more, so the problem was not time, but discarding ideas which were too complicated, e.g. ghosts as in the Dickens' story.
7. Did you participated in any other CG competition?
See above.
8. Anything else you would like to add or say?
Computer animation is a very engrossing activity, I recommend it.  The good news is you have complete control over every detail.  The bad news is you have complete control over every detail.  Here is the animation, "A Christmas Caper":

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

though I myself don't do animation ( I just can't get into it! ) I always get a kick out of yours Gary... umm Steve....

awesome stuff yes

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

though I myself don't do animation ( I just can't get into it! ) I always get a kick out of yours Gary... umm Steve....

awesome stuff yes

Many thanks, this one came out better than some, I think.  E.g., the 48 Hour Film contest is a real hoot, with many videos clearly not finished (mine included).  A memorable live action video in the (dreaded) Western genre showed a gunslinger walking out into the hot deserted street of an old west town, drawing and shooting his fancy six shooter.  Maybe thirty seconds including the title (minimum is four minutes), then it cut to the credits, with about two hundred names scrolling by, with every movie cast/crew title you've ever heard of (including "caterer").  Then they did "Making of" interviews with the cast and crew.  "What do you mean 'the lights fading'?  We're shooting indoors!"  I laughed til I cried.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

man of talents Steve :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Great to learn more about you.  Very cool.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Thanks, guys, certainly the group here has been a lot of help.