Footprints!

Just now looking at a Now Crowds Billboard beach scene reminded me of a problem I've often come across when using beach or desert scenes: footprints are very conspicuous in their absence. Even in the only sand product I have where there's a "footsteps" material (First Bastion's "Rolling Plains") the prints when added are barely discernable. But is it possible to create a morphable footprints product which can be applied to any sand environment? [I've also had the same thought re adding morphable streams to flat land environments].

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I haven't seen anything good for footprints. If you use photoshop there are some decent brushes and tiretracks which can be used. That combined with a sandy layer style will work pretty well.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Hmm maybe dForce some high density mesh would work...or maybe use a pushmodifyer and paint the footprints...or displacement maps...or...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814

walkit a DAZ studio plugin by pilning is used by some

I cannot link it as third party

I don't have it

• Thanks to all respondents. Now having seen the walkit plugin (thanks Wendy) I think there must be a way of creating footprints to add to sand and other surfaces, but as Sven mentioned it would probably have to be dForce as the prints would need to have some variable depth to them.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814

Thanks to all respondents. Now having seen the walkit plugin (thanks Wendy) I think there must be a way of creating footprints to add to sand and other surfaces, but as Sven mentioned it would probably have to be dForce as the prints would need to have some variable depth to them.

I think FLUIDOS can

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited January 2019

Quick test with a push modifyer on a primitive plane, certainly possible, haven't tested dForce but this is atleast pretty straight forward. Took me about 5 min;)

FOOTSTEPS.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited January 2019

One of the threads about dForce had an example of footprints in snow.  I think that thread has some PDF files made of the various posts.  I was pretty impressed by it.

Also, some time ago there were some obj files up on Sharecg that were tracks...animals, tires, and people feet, I think.  Probably would work well with dForce.  I'm just guessing, though.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Easy Environments: Winter II has them. "The ground plane comes with several Morphs like foot and sled tracks." https://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-winter-ii
  • Thanks to all for some excellent suggestions and links. yessmiley

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,983

“all in all ,  an interesting subject.”

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,062
    It's also something I would expect to be capable of being done with a normal map and/or displacement map if those shader channels don't already have a texture map applied.