Fair Isle Patterns

I've always loved Fair Isle garments and over the past few decades I've owned or still have round-necked and V-necked pullovers, sleeveless pullovers and cardigans (blue, brown, maroon and green based), but I've never seen full Fair Isle patterns on anything in Daz. The closest patterns I've seen are in the materials for the "Day at the Mall" leggings, but nothing else comes close.

In contrast to my loving Fair Isles, I've always loathed the Argyle diamond patterns, which to my horror have never been out of fashion in over a century! I mean, what's is that about?! How embarrassing if highly evolved alien couturiers visited this planet! ... Not surprisingly there are many Argyle garments in Daz.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

i had to look up the term as I have never heard of "fair Isle" patterns, probably because I don't live anywhere near the Shetland Islands, LOL.

if you google fair isle seamless patterns you get a bunch of images that you could probably use on existing clothing as tileable textures. Personally the designs remind me of Christmas sweater patterns.

• In the UK (where I am) classic Fair Isle patterns were probably at their most popular in the 30s, though they were around long before that decade and continued to be popular in the 40s and later. There was a revival in the late 70s and early 80s, but then they seemed to vanish again (while the horrible Argyles continue even to today!). Some of the patterns I can see as being Chistmassy particularly to Americans, but the majority aren't seen that way in the UK. I'm mostly interested in the classic style as in the first two images in this link: https://www.fraserknitwear.com/influences-on-fair-isle-knitwear-design-in-the-1920s-and-1930s

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2019

In the UK (where I am) classic Fair Isle patterns were probably at their most popular in the 30s, though they were around long before that decade and continued to be popular in the 40s and later. There was a revival in the late 70s and early 80s, but then they seemed to vanish again (while the horrible Argyles continue even to today!). Some of the patterns I can see as being Chistmassy particularly to Americans, but the majority aren't seen that way in the UK. I'm mostly interested in the classic style as in the first two images in this link: https://www.fraserknitwear.com/influences-on-fair-isle-knitwear-design-in-the-1920s-and-1930s

I beg to differ,  Fairisle patterns have been in and out of fashion since the 30s.  I still have rair isle jumpers in my wardrobe now  and you can buy them in smart shops if you try hard enough

Do yopu want an expensive one   or a cheaper one.     I have made fairisle textures in the past for my freestuff

It is not the easiest texture to put onto a 3d clothing item, especially the all over fairisle pattern, but it can be done. It does depend on how the item is UV mapped
    Iray Starter Scene: Post Your Benchmarks!

Fairisle winter wamer V4.png
    600 x 600 - 156K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

I have knitted many including the ones with the circular needle for the round neck

yes its more of a UV mapping issue than anything to do with the garments themselves 

something flatmapped could be matched up to a photograph 

I have knitted many including the ones with the circular needle for the round neck

yes its more of a UV mapping issue than anything to do with the garments themselves 

Never done a sweater like that but I diod knit a fairisle beret on 4 or 5 double ended needles whci had the same effect as using a circular needle.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    Chohole said:

Never done a sweater like that but I diod knit a fairisle beret on 4 or 5 double ended needles whci had the same effect as using a circular needle.

I have to resort to those as it nears the neck, have several lengths of circular ones but you can only go so small

• Chohole, I'm not quite sure what you beg to differ about. Fair Isle patterns almost certainly predate the Argyle (see link for a 1921 photo, though FI's wouldn't have been new even then) but while the Argyle diamond patterns have always been in fashion - there's not been a decade in over a century in which they can't be seen in fashion magazines and in period photography - Fair Isles, though always being around, were never as consistently fashionable. In the late 70s and early 80s there was a revival and Fair Isle patterned garments appeared in fashion outlets all over the UK. I lived in London at the time and I bought sleeved and sleeveless V-neck pullovers and cardigans (blue, brown, maroon and green based). I still have 2 cardigans from that period, purchased almost exactly 40 years ago, though one of them which I'm currently wearing over another pullover has accrued a lot of holes since then. But neither have lost their shape which is amazing.

As this link implies a lot of patterns which are called Fair Isles neither originate from that region nor are true FI patterns.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Isle_(technique)

I still say FairIsle has never really been completely out of fashion.   (And I blame golfers for Argyle)

• Chohole ~ it depends on how one defines 'in fashion'. To me it means the same as DS's "currently trending". So if Fair Isle patterns, and particularly the authentic ones, were always in fashion then they should be readily available in most high street clothiers, most online fashion outlets and common in fashion catalogues. I regularly receive catalogues either free inside other magazines or by mail but I never or extremely rarely see anything Fair Isle. The same goes for online fashion outlets while I've not seen any Fair Isle items in shops in literally decades. In contrast the Argyle diamond pattern is commonly seen in shops, online outlets and in catalogues.  The main Fair Isle market is probably just the UK, thus it's no surprise that FSMCDesigns had never heard of them, while the Argyle has literally always been commonly available in at least all English speaking countries and probably also in Western Europe. So while Argyles are even now "currently trending", Fair Isles, while always being available somewhere if one searches, aren't.