Saving bone systems in props made in Carrara

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

How do you save the bone system for a prop made in Carrara so it works as a single prop instead of a texture map and a bone system? I know I can only use the prop as a .dae file that needs to be imported.

Comments

• edited December 1969

To clarify what I mean is. The prop when used as a.dae file or as an .obj file it has no bone system in it when used in Daz but in Carrara it has a full bone system. Is there a way to save the prop as an .obj and give it the bone system so it is able to be posed?

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I'm not 100% positive with the Carrara 8.5 release, but in prior versions if Carrara, bones were not transferable to studio.

If you built something in Carrara, you had to rig it in poser or studio.

Obj files do not transfer bones in either case, they (AFAIK) only carry the object shape and UV mapping.

ncamp

• cyborgty_074ff6c243cyborgty_074ff6c243 Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

Have you tried exporting as FBX? The bones should be included in that file format.
    I have Daz Studio 4.5 (but don't really use it) and it supports fbx import.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

actually not all object files are equal, while studio treats them as one mesh a number of my other programs indeed open some as seperate meshes including Carrara and with collada (.dae) boning and animation also carries over.
    All work with FBX export.
    I have gotten some into studio as collada imports too not FBX with seperate mesh and even animation but it is iffy at best.
    this has included stuff rigged with attach skeketon under animation in Carrara, it indeeds imports apparently weightpainted and animated bvh can even be applied but is unsaveable and easily broken.
    I have yet to solve this issue as I am too unfamiliar with studio rigging to know where to start.
    Blender also imports them from Carrara boned weightpainted and animated but oddly not Daz figures only stuff I and others have rigged in Carrara as indeed does iClone 3dxchange if exported as FBX and also Houdini apprentice, Unity and Unreal game engine my only issue with all those last two programs is I do not know what to do once I get it in there except play the animation!.

• edited December 1969

I will have to try the FBX export. I hope it works

• edited December 1969

Ok it still is not working I have no idea how to get it to work