New Smith Micro "La Femme" base figure for Poser at Rendo

Comments

• Anyone working on converting her for Daz Studio?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited January 2019
    Cybersox said:
    3anson said:

she does look good, and Blackhearted has done a lovely job with his 'High Definition' character. but , tbh,  it is going to be another figure that will likely 'die on the vine'.sad

i think very few vendors will support her, unless they do freebies or create products just for the love of creating. sadly the Poser userbase is now a lot lower than that for Daz Studio.

True, though I have to wonder if the Poser base really has become smaller now, or if they just don't buy as much since after XX years there's very little new that comes out for V4 that they don't already have multiple variations of.  Either way, though, the end result is the same.       

Well, if I am any judge, considering I said I would NEVER change - installed DS at least 10 times and uninstalled as many times in the years before I actually started using it because I got frustrated - that I now know others who have switched who said the same thing as I - I might assume that there are more DS users than Poser. Also consider the fact that the Poser program itself has nearly stalled in recent years and you might not have a mass exodus, but you may have a good many who switched just to get some newer features. I can't say for sure of course, but it's a pretty educated guess ;). By the same token some may have gone to software like Blender and iClone's character software, among others and not necessarily to DS.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

she does look good, and Blackhearted has done a lovely job with his 
    'High Definition' character. but , tbh,  it is going to be another figure
     that will likely 'die on the vine'.sad

i think very few vendors will support her, 
    unless they do freebies or create products 
    just for the love of creating. 

Indeed I see the same pattern emerging
    First an overwhelming rush of excitement over the shear "newness" of it all.
    the flood of  Ooooohh me too!!!, mutual validation renders posted.
    the calm, measured input from the creator(s) answering questions
    and the polite  general  response posts that assure them:

"I am looking foward to working with her"

But after a while when the initial excitement subsides  people will
    become impatient at the speed at which  new products are appearing
    (or not appearing)
     particulary morphs to change the default face,ethnicity etc etc
    and eventually its becomes yet another also ran with a core group of fervent loyalists
    for certain.

But alas Another young, pretty ideal BMI white girl that people will rarely bother veering
    from the defualt shape. 
    A replacement for V4 in poser??? unlikely in my estimation.

A reason for any Daz Genesis 1,2,3,8 user  or content creator or animator
     to seriously consider poser again??
    Absolutely no... not in this universe.

Poser IMHO has an existential, strategic marketplace position problem that wont be 
    solve by yet another pretty white girl.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825

La Femme Base Figure for Poser 11(1 @ 0) - $ 0.00
    Bags of Business Outfits for Genesis 3 Females(1 @ 2.38) - $ 2.38
    Pleated Hobo Bag(1 @ 2.7) - $ 2.70

I grabbed a couple nice handbags

need handbags but again I needed 2 to go over 3:50 but they are nice handbags 65% off

• While I think she is a wonderful advancement in poser figures I myself can’t support another figure especially for poser.

I rarely open poser any more which I thought I’d never say being one of those that was such a hard core, looonnngggg time poser user. You’d would have had to pry poser from my cold dead hands. 

I’ve defected to Daz Studio and not looking back.

I wish nothing but great success to the creators and kudos to their hard work La Femme looks like the most superior poser figure I’ve ever seen come out for poser users. It’s a shame that SM seems to have abandoned poser.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154

I I have poser 11 and so I downloaded and played with the La Femme base. this is my opinion of  La Femme base

1) it is a new poser character (About Time) that is well done the SSS maps render beautiful with plenty of options for adjustment for superfly .and when she is rendered it looks very much like Blackhearted GND character.

2) I was able to parent any v4 hair type to her very well. pretty3d hairs looks fabulous on her. . But she does not accept any type of v4 clothing(at all) that i tried to conform to the base figure it just would not conform no matter what clothing item i tried leaving me the impression she will need her own clothing line to truly make her useable..

3) I was able to pose her easily with any v4/a4 pose set I had tried with little or no adjustments need to correct the poses which i was pleasantly surprised. the rigging was excellent done and she poses very easier with just using the dials .

My conclusion is This is new character is beautiful  and i really like her design & the shape and face & body buttons are a refreshing change for changing the morphs & she was offered free with any $3.50 or more purchase at renderosity,  But somehow I feel like this new character fits in to the Daz Genesis sales gimmick. where you get the base for free but you will need to purchase the clothing, morphs, skins ect to get the full functions of use. which is a good idea SM are trying to revive poser user base interest..

Lastly because I do not have clothing i could fit to La femme i am not able to post the test renders I did of her because they are nudes. I do like the looks of La femme over all & I will properly will invest in her when the products are released to expands her usability ..

That is my 2 cents

• She’ll be quickly forgotten by the general populace in a few months, by both buyers and content creators (save for a few hangers on), I’m calling it now. It’s happened before and I see no reason why it won’t happen again.

Also, another pretty white girl figure? Yawn. 

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    scorpio said:
    Cybersox said:

I'm not sure what to make of this.  The base is currently available for free over at Renderosity for those who want to play with her, and she's got a pretty solid production team behind her (Blackheatered, Nerd3d, Rhiannon, Deecey, & Smith MIcro but she only works in Poser 11 and up.  Personally, I suspect it's a llittle too late to significantly change the current arc of the market, especially given that we already had one other new Poser based female figure launch this year with little impact, and I prefer the aesthetics of f the G7 and G8 female figures in any case but... well, at least Smith Micro is finally doing something. 

Its not really free as you need to spend at least $3.50 to get her free.

So it's just like Daz3d's 'freebies' then ;)

No its not - Daz's freebies do not require you to purchase something look at the freebie page, the weekly freebie is free to PC memmbers and with a purchase to others this is clearly listed.

Rendo are trying to launch a new figure incouraging people to use Poser  this does not help.

Ivy said:

I I have poser 11 and so I downloaded and played with the La Femme base. this is my opinion of  La Femme base

1) it is a new poser character (About Time) that is well done the SSS maps render beautiful with plenty of options for adjustment for superfly .and when she is rendered it looks very much like Blackhearted GND character.

2) I was able to parent any v4 hair type to her very well. pretty3d hairs looks fabulous on her. . But she does not accept any type of v4 clothing(at all) that i tried to conform to the base figure it just would not conform no matter what clothing item i tried leaving me the impression she will need her own clothing line to truly make her useable..

3) I was able to pose her easily with any v4/a4 pose set I had tried with little or no adjustments need to correct the poses which i was pleasantly surprised. the rigging was excellent done and she poses very easier with just using the dials .

My conclusion is This is new character is beautiful  and i really like her design & the shape and face & body buttons are a refreshing change for changing the morphs & she was offered free with any $3.50 or more purchase at renderosity,  But somehow I feel like this new character fits in to the Daz Genesis sales gimmick. where you get the base for free but you will need to purchase the clothing, morphs, skins ect to get the full functions of use. which is a good idea SM are trying to revive poser user base interest..

Lastly because I do not have clothing i could fit to La femme i am not able to post the test renders I did of her because they are nudes. I do like the looks of La femme over all & I will properly will invest in her when the products are released to expands her usability ..

That is my 2 cents

long dynamic skirts that cover the feet and dynamic hair enlightened

might take a bit of playing with the morph brush to fit some made for other figures 

she has a few morphs under poses you inject

and rigged labia and butt cheeks so she doesn't need clothes for some users devil

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

So Paul (err - Pauline) is dead

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited January 2019
    mrposer said:

So Paul (err - Pauline) is dead

They were dead the day they were released.  As were Rex and Roxy.  The last Poser figures that had any lasting traction were Alyson 2 and Ryan 2, and that was only because of Blackhearted's astounding work transforming them into Anastasia and Tyler.  

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727
    edited January 2019

Like, for the record: I’m no program loyalist. I’ve tried Poser and actually own a copy. It’s not my preferred thing: I like the versatility of Genesis 3-8 and Iray. And dForce, though flawed, is much easier for me to grasp than the Cloth Room. But I’ll use it if it suits my need. Same with Blender and Marvelous Designer.

And not to (completely) dunk on LaFemme and it’s creators:  it’s well crafted, but it offers nothing new to the table in my opinion. It just seems like Smith Micro is oblivious to the fact they’ve lost a huge amount of market share in the past 5 years, and are continuing to put bandaids on something that needs to be overhauled if not replaced by something new.

Other Poser-exclusive figures that have tried to compete with Victoria 4 and the Genesis line -Dawn/Dusk, Scarlett, PE, Bella, et al- have had strong starts... but all have largely flamed out within a year (or less) and, outside of a few dedicated hanger ons, have virtually none of the major content creators supporting them, because -as is often parroted by PAs here- there’s “no market” for them. In that they don’t provide enough steady stream of revenue to justify the time/effort into making content for them. Which I do understand.

In all fairness, I wish success for them and their efforts pay off. But as a new generation of content creators raised on Daz Studio grows and the Poser demographics shrinks, I think Rendo and SM are going to have to have a “come to Jesus” moment and wonder if it’s financially worth continually slapping bandaids over it. 

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on
    Ivy said:

That is my 2 cents

long dynamic skirts that cover the feet and dynamic hair enlightened

might take a bit of playing with the morph brush to fit some made for other figures 

she has a few morphs under poses you inject

and rigged labia and butt cheeks so she doesn't need clothes for some users devil

I did use the injection morphs that cam with it and she does come with hair skull cap as wel for dynamic hair.  but the morphs injections didn't give me enough variance to fit anything v4 to her.  . I'll try some of Alyson content later & I did not have a chance to try her with Dynamic clothing or hair as i went to bed before getting that far.   I am sure your right though it that should work pretty well I've had pretty good luck with poser dynamics in the past I'm just slow at setting up all the perimeters .  later tonight when i get home from work I'll  give her a try with dynamic content and see how that works .

Over all I like her she reminds me of Alyson very much only a little curvier

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited January 2019

And not to (completely) dunk on LaFemme and it’s creators: 
     it’s well crafted, but it offers nothing new to the table in my opinion.
     It just seems like Smith Micro is oblivious to the fact they’ve lost a
     huge amount of market share in the past 5 years, and are
     continuing to put bandaids on something that
     needs to be overhauled if not replaced by something new.

Poser problem is a simple strategic one.
    For what it costs there is no compelling economic reason for any demographic beyond
    the existing loyalists. to pay even the $209 sale price on offer.

Growth comes from gaining NEW users.

Assuming you are a savvy consumer yet complete newbie at 3D figure programs
     with a $250 dollar budget.
    Why would you buy poser instead of getting Daz studio free and spending that $250
    on Genesis content ??certainly not just for Lafemme??

Assuming you are an owner of some other 3D (Lightwave Maya C4D ,modo)
    program but need ready made human figures instead of modeling your own.

Why would you buy poser instead of getting Daz studio free and spending that $250
    on  genesis content ??...certainly not just for Lafemme??

I mean **some** poser people are very excited about this figure but only in the relative context
    of undeniably substandard figures Like Pauline,Roxy,Alison
    and the failed promises of "saviour" figures like "Project E"

That said ,Blackhearted and co. to their well  deserved credit, did some very smart things.

They kept this figures existenance well hidden during development
    and did not create alot a fervently high hopes by essentially promising the faithful a "Genesis killer"
    while also boasting a magical V4 clothing conversion process that turned out to be a prohibitvely
    tedious grunt process that few average users were willing to undertake and most merchants neither.
    The made the base essential "free"& avablable at rosity from Day one  not  at some offsite store.

Screen Shot 01-30-19 at 02.08 PM.PNG
    1029 x 675 - 357K
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • ^^^ Exactly. You could make the argument that you get more for that price, rather than the “carte blanche” approach of DS. But on the same token, being able to pick/choose the plugins and add ons you want (albeit at varying prices) without a ton of them bogging down the software is also enticing.

And again, there is a generational aspect to it: people in my generation -and the one after it- are more reluctant to buy high priced software and will often gravitate towards free to affordable priced software. That’s another Achilles Heel for Poser trying to regain lost market share today.

That said... competition does make for healthy markets, so I can only hope it gets its act together sooner rather than later.

edited January 2019

I got my Poser11pro upgrade from PP11 which I paid $45 for for $50 and I know people who grabbed Debut for free who did it for $50 too

having a quick go with a dress I modelled the dynamics only good for 140 frames before it went all messy so a short ani will be done soon

a SAV prop hair

lf wendy dress_0052.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

my animation

I now quickly rigged that dress to her in the fitting room and am going to render a longer animation

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,704

I made a purchase yesterday morning at Rendo and forgot to add her to the cart.  They seem very understanding and gave her to me since I was not planning on making another purchase any time soon.  My issue with her right now is that she has no clothes or hair.  I wish I could afford some clothes and hair for her but not right now.

my animation

I now quickly rigged that dress to her in the fitting room and am going to render a longer animation

Woo Hoo Wendy.. great job.  I can't get anything to stick to her...lol she like teflon

• Can someone tell/show us how La Femme bends, please?  How is she rigged - Weight Mapped or like Victoria 4 and earlier?  Is she "better than" Dawn or V4 Weight Mapped?

I don't think it would be too difficult to make a G8 clone of her.  I may make a $3.50 purchase from Rendo, so I can give it a try.

animation of my rigged dress and a SAV hair rigged using fitting room

are just V4 animations and work fine

was reading a tutorial where you can use the morph brush to shape clothes to fit to other figures

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2594/creating-conforming-clothes-from-an-obj-file/8

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803

La femme is a surprisingly decent figure. Her only one problem is, that she is ...ahm... incomplete. ;-) She includes a well done set of JCMs ( - finally), that gives her a real good posing. Her shoulders look a little weird, when lowering her arms though. Her only limits are due to the Poser app limitations, such as cracking her geometry, the lack of an auto fit system and no geografting tools.
    If she will be a fail, don't blame her creators for it. It's either SmithMicro's  the vendors, the buyers , or all of them's fault.

La femme is a surprisingly decent figure. Her only one problem is, that she is ...ahm... incomplete. ;-) She includes a well done set of JCMs ( - finally), that gives her a real good posing. Her shoulders look a little weird, when lowering her arms though. Her only limits are due to the Poser app limitations, such as cracking her geometry, the lack of an auto fit system and no geografting tools.
    If she will be a fail, don't blame her creators for it. It's either SmithMicro's  the vendors, the buyers , or all of them's fault.

Might be the 3.50 minimum issue too.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

I got my Poser11pro upgrade from PP11 which I paid $45 for for $50 and I know people who grabbed Debut for free who did it for $50 too

How did they get a $50 upgrade from Debut? Is there a coupon somewhere? The SM site is showing $100+ for an upgrade from any non pro version.

I do not need another copy of poser at the moment.  Might in the future but not right now.

that offer is long over now I am afraid 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    3WC said:

How did they get a $50 upgrade from Debut? Is there a coupon somewhere? The SM site is showing $100+ for an upgrade from any non pro version.

There was a limited-time offer to upgrade for $49.95 when they released P11.1 pro.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

Oh, ok. Well there is an offer right now to upgrade any pro version to P11 pro for $50, but to upgrade from any regular version it is $110.

edited January 2019

animation of my rigged dress and a SAV hair rigged using fitting room

are just V4 animations and work fine

was reading a tutorial where you can use the morph brush to shape clothes to fit to other figures

https://forum.smithmicro.com/topic/2594/creating-conforming-clothes-from-an-obj-file/8

Thanks Wendy.  I seen where La Femme set did come with a clothing dev preset with morph channels you can load to dev our own clothing. , so I tried that to make a body suite or top & pants set. but it appears Python does not support Lefmme or i missed a step in the user guide. hmm maybe i need a addon for python script but it keeps saying unsupported character , I'll keep messing with it I am sure i am missing something,

Capture.JPG
    1919 x 1039 - 201K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,482

Cracked Rearview Mirror.