Dforce Magnet

tdctdc Posts: 129

OMG! SPLENDID! Worth every penny! I just got done trying it out for the first time and it makes Dforce BRILLIANT!

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

That's good to know since I bought it right away. LOL

Laurie

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited January 2019

Yup; not had chance to try it out yet.

Actually, not downloaded yet.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,447
    tdc said:

OMG! SPLENDID! Worth every penny! I just got done trying it out for the first time and it makes Dforce BRILLIANT!

are you a dforce guru or it just works nice without messing around for two hours and getting all frustrated, then asking questions here and finding 2000 posts to wade through,  and then you realize you can be just as frustrated doing it manually with included DS tools and you could have saved $20 ... and then you have to try to return it. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    daveso said:
    tdc said:

are you a dforce guru or it just works nice without messing around for two hours and getting all frustrated, then asking questions here and finding 2000 posts to wade through,  and then you realize you can be just as frustrated doing it manually with included DS tools and you could have saved $20 ... and then you have to try to return it. 

I've watched the videos and as someone who almost always uses the Timeline when simulating, adjusting poses along the timeline to end up where I need them to be, this looks very easy and intuitive to use. I wouldn't call myself a dForce guru, but I do believe I'm competent with the feature.

As long as there isn't an extra incentive to purchase right away, (like "buy 2 and get an extra 30% off them,) I like to keep one new release in my cart just in case a flash sale with a new release requirement pops up with something I've been waiting for. At the moment, that new release is dForce Magnet. Not exactly sure when I'll buy it, but definitely before it loses the intro 30% discount.  I think the concept is brilliant. And coming from RiverSoft Art and esha, I expect the product to be brilliant, as well.

• Sadly, I have not yet had the chance to mess with it. Maybe next week? crying

edited January 2019
    L'Adair said:
    daveso said:
    tdc said:

I've watched the videos and as someone who almost always uses the Timeline when simulating, adjusting poses along the timeline to end up where I need them to be, this looks very easy and intuitive to use. I wouldn't call myself a dForce guru, but I do believe I'm competent with the feature.

As long as there isn't an extra incentive to purchase right away, (like "buy 2 and get an extra 30% off them,) I like to keep one new release in my cart just in case a flash sale with a new release requirement pops up with something I've been waiting for. At the moment, that new release is dForce Magnet. Not exactly sure when I'll buy it, but definitely before it loses the intro 30% discount.  I think the concept is brilliant. And coming from RiverSoft Art and esha, I expect the product to be brilliant, as well.

yes..for sure with those creators. The reason I'm skeptical, I bought some other dforce utilities and was totally overwhelmed and frustrated. probably my lack of overall expertise ,, but it was as i said in my other message. 
    I like the concept of dforce and how it works..what it can do for a render. any help to make it better, easier is a plus

Post edited by daveso on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,175
    daveso said:
    L'Adair said:
    daveso said:
    tdc said:

yes..for sure with those creators. The reason I'm skeptical, I bought some other dforce utilities and was totally overwhelmed and frustrated. probably my lack of overall expertise ,, but it was as i said in my other message. 
    I like the concept of dforce and how it works..what it can do for a render. any help to make it better, easier is a plus

If you have little experience with dForce or problems using it, I would not recommend jumping into using the magnets. In my opinion, they make things more complicated, not simpler. They add powerful new capabilities, and I am happy with the product. But I'm afraid you will be frustrated by the additional complexity that it adds to using dForce. Master the basics first to preserve your sanity.
    barbult said:
    daveso said:
    L'Adair said:
    daveso said:
    tdc said:

If you have little experience with dForce or problems using it, I would not recommend jumping into using the magnets. In my opinion, they make things more complicated, not simpler. They add powerful new capabilities, and I am happy with the product. But I'm afraid you will be frustrated by the additional complexity that it adds to using dForce. Master the basics first to preserve your sanity.

thanks .. i appreciate that advice. in the wishlist for later times smiley

• tdctdc Posts: 129
    daveso said:
    tdc said:

I am no way a guru. It took me about 20 minutes to read the instructions and try it out for myself.

I do have to say, most people developing these write horrible directions. Although not horrible, they could stand to write them as if we are using the tool for the very first time. Better than most I would say, though. It does work as it says it does with just a bit of a lift in learning.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990
    edited January 2019

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/208141/how-to-use-dforce-creating-a-blanket-draping-clothes-on-furniture-and-much-more-commercial#latest

There's also a webinar with advanced techniques and more tricks coming up at Digital Art in February where you can ask questions and get a demonstration to problem solutions: https://digitalartlive.com/event/more-dforce-discoveries-for-daz-studio/

(though I'm also thinking about buying the magnets, as they streamline the process a bit)

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Some similiar principle already has been used by two PAs at Renderosity for several dresses/nightshirts etc.

I consider this product a great help for those who don't want to delve too deep into the dark chasm of manipulating cloth with dForce by using primitives.. For me I'm not sure if it's worth the $ to achieve something, that I can usually achieve by using primitives *shrug*

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited January 2019

The above mentoned dresses/nightshirts use a slightly different way to achieve this as far as I can tell. There are tutorials online how to isolate polygons and un-dForce them. I mention this because to me all these things are a time/cost calculation. I'm sure there are enough tutorials out there that I could create an enire DAZ Studio library of my own content, however, as in this case, someone has created a great thing so I don't have to.

I cannot tell you how many sets I went through to get a towel to drape over primitive to end up with the result below (and it is positioned strategically to hide some stretching where the primitive was). This product seems it would have saved me a lot of time and effort. So well done to them.

towel.png
    350 x 350 - 225K
    Post edited by Haruchai on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

LIke most utilities for Daz you can always do it yourself.  The question is, do you have time to learn to do it?  And do you want to.  I buy stuff like this because I don't have the time to learn everything I want to learn, and this allows me to do it more qickly and much more easily.  To me, its easily worth the price.  But for others, they may prefer to learn and do the whole thing themselves.  Nothing wrong with that.  And I am by no means a Dforce expert, I consider myself still very new to it and I have found this very easy to use.

LIke most utilities for Daz you can always do it yourself.  The question is, do you have time to learn to do it?  And do you want to.  I buy stuff like this because I don't have the time to learn everything I want to learn, and this allows me to do it more qickly and much more easily.  To me, its easily worth the price.  But for others, they may prefer to learn and do the whole thing themselves.  Nothing wrong with that.  And I am by no means a Dforce expert, I consider myself still very new to it and I have found this very easy to use.

great to hear on the simplicity of it. 
    The learning with DAZ Studio is vast and deep. It seems there is something new to learn everyday .. a lot of stuff. Right now its dforce for me, but its lighting, materials, surfaces, posing, on and on

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    edited January 2019

lol damn I just spent like an hour making a pose using a thin cylindar primative to lift it up when this looks like it does all of that for me. SIGH. *opens wallet*

Watching the demo of wrapping a sheet around the pole makes me wonder how hard it would be to have a figure literally put on a shirt in an animation

Post edited by Paradigm on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    Paradigm said:

lol damn I just spent like an hour making a pose using a thin cylindar primative to lift it up when this looks like it does all of that for me. SIGH. *opens wallet*

Watching the demo of wrapping a sheet around the pole makes me wonder how hard it would be to have a figure literally put on a shirt in an animation

Finger movement is usally not recorded with motion capture at our level.  SO even if you had a good motion capture of someone putting on a shirt, the biggest hurdle would be the fingers.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    tdc said:
    daveso said:
    tdc said:

I am no way a guru. It took me about 20 minutes to read the instructions and try it out for myself.

I do have to say, most people developing these write horrible directions. Although not horrible, they could stand to write them as if we are using the tool for the very first time. Better than most I would say, though. It does work as it says it does with just a bit of a lift in learning.

Testing step-by-step guides is about only doing what the guide says, nothing more, nothing less.

... Writing guides is easy enough; testing that they work as intended is time-consuming

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,066
    nicstt said:
    tdc said:
    daveso said:
    tdc said:

Testing step-by-step guides is about only doing what the guide says, nothing more, nothing less.

... Writing guides is easy enough; testing that they work as intended is time-consuming

And then you turn it loose and feedback indicates that you casually left out a critical item between step 5c and 5d . . . it helps to have several proof-readers for this type of documentation, because after two passes the proof-readers will also start to miss key steps. I've done the documentation. I've done the proof-reading for others. It is - painful. I haven't had the time to play with this yet, but the doc looks to be well done.

• eshaesha Posts: 3,230

Thank you, namffuak! I do my best to make my documentation and tuts clear and easy to understand. smiley

In the meantime I've made two new tutorials, you can find them here:

Also check out this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/304546/released-dforce-magnet-commercial/p1
    It does contain some chatter but also a lot of information you might find useful. You could say it's our official support thread for the dForce Magnet. If you have any questions, ask them there smiley

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2019

Thank you for this awesome product bought it as soon as saw it.. Here is my first attempt using the awesome dforce magnet, the cloak used is a freebie Poser dynamic prop..  One thing have to work out is how to stop the over the top bunching around the right hand..  The other is to get the cloak to drape more smoothly and naturally..

2.jpg
    750 x 1250 - 421K
    Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,175
    ghosty12 said:

Thank you for this awesome product bought it as soon as saw it.. Here is my first attempt using the awesome dforce magnet, the cloak used is a freebie Poser dynamic prop..  One thing have to work out is how to stop the over the top bunching around the right hand..  The other is to get the cloak to drape more smoothly and naturally..

The image is too dark to see what you are having trouble with. The dFroce Magnet product does have presets to turn off collision with either hand. Maybe try that on the right hand.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,983
    barbult said:
    ghosty12 said:

The image is too dark to see what you are having trouble with. The dFroce Magnet product does have presets to turn off collision with either hand. Maybe try that on the right hand.

Thank you for the info yes it made a huge difference to the bunching up around the right hand.. :)

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited February 2019

Oops. Wrong dForce thread…

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Now that I have splashed out and bought Marvelous Designer 8, I wonder whether it would be easier/quicker to export/drape/import rather than fiddle with magnets? Or whether people with both find situations of either or both? I still have a lot of learning to do with MD so I still use dForce most of the time (mainly because my DAZ Studio wardrobe doesn't seem very compatible with MD).

• esha said:

Thank you, namffuak! I do my best to make my documentation and tuts clear and easy to understand. smiley

In the meantime I've made two new tutorials, you can find them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuTTsLe9

Also check out this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/304546/released-dforce-magnet-commercial/p1
    It does contain some chatter but also a lot of information you might find useful. You could say it's our official support thread for the dForce Magnet. If you have any questions, ask them there smiley

I'm watching your d-force YouTube tutorials and I think they are absolutely magnificient and impeccably produced. Its a great add on and exactly the type of scripts needed, great work. 

• CyberdeneCyberdene Posts: 72
    edited December 2019
    daveso said:
    L'Adair said:
    daveso said:
    tdc said:

I'm with you on this, I can't stand complicated stuff. These days people create things yet ignore the fact some people have learning disabilities or just can't figure stuff out at all but they continue to make things advanced as hell. I wanted this tool, but I watched videos on youtube, and it requires all sorts of steps to even use it, like having to fiddle around with certain things. You cant just add the magnet, and then bam! You can start pulling things, you have to actually mess around in other menu windows, etc. Thats one reason why I passed up on it. Probably why so many renders I see, nobody bothers with this stuff, because its annoying for the majority. Some people can say its easy for them, but that's because they understand what their doing. I had a tough time with Magnets in Poser as well.

Post edited by Cyberdene on
    edited December 2019
    Cyberdene said:
    daveso said:
    L'Adair said:
    daveso said:
    tdc said:

I'm with you on this, I can't stand complicated stuff. These days people create things yet ignore the fact some people have learning disabilities or just can't figure stuff out at all but they continue to make things advanced as hell. I wanted this tool, but I watched videos on youtube, and it requires all sorts of steps to even use it, like having to fiddle around with certain things. You cant just add the magnet, and then bam! You can start pulling things, you have to actually mess around in other menu windows, etc. Thats one reason why I passed up on it. Probably why so many renders I see, nobody bothers with this stuff, because its annoying for the majority. Some people can say its easy for them, but that's because they understand what their doing. I had a tough time with Magnets in Poser as well.

I bought it but gave up on it too. I don't know why DAZ didn't take the extra step and add the ability to pull the cloth during the drape. Marvelous Designer and VWD can both do that so, to my mind, dForce is only half developed and dForce magnets didn't make things any easier. TBH, I just use primitives to hold the cloth where I want it. Seems easier than fiddling with finding the precise vertex and using the geometry editor tool.

Post edited by marble on
  • what parts are you guys getting stuck on? i'm just curious cuz it seems pretty easy to me.

what parts are you guys getting stuck on? i'm just curious cuz it seems pretty easy to me.

My experience was that I followed the video tutorial and tried to apply the instructions to a scene where I wanted to have someone pull a cloth sheet from a bed. This meant a hand holding the sheet away from the bed. The magnet method took probably three times as long to achieve than just using a primitive. So I continue to use a primitive. 

• davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    edited December 2019
    marble said:

what parts are you guys getting stuck on? i'm just curious cuz it seems pretty easy to me.

My experience was that I followed the video tutorial and tried to apply the instructions to a scene where I wanted to have someone pull a cloth sheet from a bed. This meant a hand holding the sheet away from the bed. The magnet method took probably three times as long to achieve than just using a primitive. So I continue to use a primitive. 

I just tried that and I think youre right. it's way easier to use a primitive (or a hand) to latch onto a cloth.

they should've let you  child the magnet to something (like a finger) so you dont have to manually move it . But it can only be childed to the cloth.

Post edited by davidtriune on