"An error occurred while executing Save" If you've seen this please post here

de3ande3an Posts: 915
edited October 2013 in Carrara Discussion

I'm still getting intermittent error messages when performing a Save or Save As. A dialog box pops up at just about the point when the save would have completed stating "An error occurred while executing Save."

This was a somewhat common problem during the beta test, and was mentioned several times on this forum. There was also an unresolved bug tracker report on it before the tracker went off-line.

I'm curious if any one else is still experiencing this problem. I currently have an open Help Desk issue for it, and any additional information would be helpful, especially any method for reproducing it on demand. So far I haven't been able to force it to happen.

For me, it has only occurred with scenes that contain Poser figures.

Edit: Even if you're not currently seeing it let me know if it was a problem in the past, but now seems to be fixed.

Thanks,

An_error_occurred.png
1280 x 1024 - 1M
Post edited by de3an on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

I get it sometimes, always have
    grouping all and dragging to browser often works
    consolidating shaders removing temp files and stuff helps too

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

I get it sometimes, always have
    grouping all and dragging to browser often works
    consolidating shaders removing temp files and stuff helps too

Thanks Wendy.
    When it happens to me I usually only need to repeat the Save operation a second time, and it saves successfully. I think only once did Carrara lock-up on me and cause me to lose work. However, I think DAZ should really fix the problem. I don't think I've ever seen another program where I had to hold my breath every time I try to save my work. :-S

Just wish I could discover a sequence of actions that would produce the error on demand so the developers would have something to work with.

edited December 1969

I see that I'm not getting much response to this question.

Let me ask it in a slightly different way.
    For those of you that have had the "An error occurred while executing Save" error message in the past, are you still seeing the problem or has it been fixed for you in the current version of Carrara?

I think I remember Dartanbeck and holly wetcircuit mentioning that they were experiencing the problem. If either of you are reading this, do you still see it?

Anyone, please post any experience you have had with this.

Thanks,

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited October 2013

de3an said:
    I see that I'm not getting much response to this question.

Let me ask it in a slightly different way.
    For those of you that have had the "An error occurred while executing Save" error message in the past, are you still seeing the problem or has it been fixed for you in the current version of Carrara?

I think I remember Dartanbeck and holly wetcircuit mentioning that they were experiencing the problem. If either of you are reading this, do you still see it?

Anyone, please post any experience you have had with this.

Thanks,

I thought like you did - yeah, I've seen it but have no way to say anything more than that. No idea what causes it or how to reproduce it. And yes, I've seen this intermittently, and very infrequently, since I owned Carrara with every version from 6 through the recent beta (I never got 8.5 Real).

All useless information.

Since I have nothing useful to contribute, have a picture of a beautiful woman (It's not a cow, but it's almost as Sexy!)

lo1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 973K
    Post edited by Sockratease on
    edited December 1969

I thought like you did - yeah, I've seen it but have no way to say anything more than that. No idea what causes it or how to reproduce it. And yes, I've seen this intermittently, and very infrequently, since I owned Carrara with every version from 6 through the recent beta (I never got 8.5 Real).

All useless information.

Thanks Sockratease.
    Not useless information at all. It's another data point that shows that this is a real problem, and not a figment of my imagination. :)

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

I've got it a few times since upgrading to 8.5, but it's not nearly as common as it was with the beta. Like you, I just save again and it's fine.

On a Mac running 10.8.5

edited December 1969

I've got it a few times since upgrading to 8.5, but it's not nearly as common as it was with the beta. Like you, I just save again and it's fine.

On a Mac running 10.8.5

Thanks Brian. Good data. I'm still using Mac OS 10.6.8, so it's not OS version related.

• redhorseredhorse Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

I haven't seen it with 8.5 yet, but I would get this occasionally in earlier versions. In most cases for me, it came down to an imported object that had something wrong with it - deleting the object was the only way to make the problem go away. Unfortunately, I don't recall what that object was, otherwise I could provide it to reliably make the error during save message appear. The last time this happened to me was well over a year ago.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

hi I have 8.5 but still using 8.1 something or other

I haven't had the problem for ages
    when I did 98 percent of the time was directly related to me a choosing a texture in the colour (or other ) channel of a shader and then forgetting to put a texture in it

the other times I couldn't see a pattern.
    there is a slight probability it was related to me dragging one figure inside another's tree in the instances list

using win 7 c64 bit

edited December 1969

redhorse said:
    I haven't seen it with 8.5 yet, but I would get this occasionally in earlier versions. In most cases for me, it came down to an imported object that had something wrong with it - deleting the object was the only way to make the problem go away. Unfortunately, I don't recall what that object was, otherwise I could provide it to reliably make the error during save message appear. The last time this happened to me was well over a year ago.

Thanks redhorse.

I get the feeling that this might be unrelated to what I'm seeing. In my case the problem seems to occur randomly, and the problem goes away the next time I perform a Save. I don't need to delete any objects.
    I guess it makes sense that there could be a number of situations in which a Save error could occur for valid reasons, such as a corrupted object.

Thanks for posting.

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

Dean,

Do you think it's a Mac thing? It only seems to happen with complex scenes for me.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    hi I have 8.5 but still using 8.1 something or other

I haven't had the problem for ages
    when I did 98 percent of the time was directly related to me a choosing a texture in the colour (or other ) channel of a shader and then forgetting to put a texture in it

the other times I couldn't see a pattern.
    there is a slight probability it was related to me dragging one figure inside another's tree in the instances list

using win 7 c64 bit

Thanks Andrew.

I don't actually remember if I saw this particular problem in 8.1. It seems like it began during the 8.5 beta testing and isn't due to user error, since it occurs randomly and you can still save your file if you try a second time.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

ah yes, :) good luck. I can't afford to use Car 8.5 at the moment :( cheers

the 8.1 err0r wouldn't let you save at all.

edited December 1969

Dean,

Do you think it's a Mac thing? It only seems to happen with complex scenes for me.

Perhaps... But I'm pretty sure Dartanbeck described the same thing happening to him. And he uses Windows. But maybe his was a different issue.

It certainly could be related to the Mac version. I haven't seen enough posts from Windows users describing this particular form of the error to reach a conclusion.

I've had the problem in relatively simple scenes. Always with a Poser character in the scene however.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Yeah... I don't recall which build it was, but it was driving me nuts! Funny, though...
    before a new build was released, someone told me (Holly, Wendy, both, neither?) to go back to a previous build - so I did. After only a short stint in that previous build, somebody else (Spooky, I believe?) had me try that same build that I was getting the errors in. I didn't download a new copy or anything - just installed it again, and I was trying to get it to happen - and it never did. I'm wondering if there are legacy files within older Genesis installs that can cause problems?

Another huge thing that changed how 8.5 behaves for me was to completely (now don't just go running off deleting stuff... I'm just reporting!) obliterate all of my Genesis/DS content and clean out my registry with C-Cleaner, went through and cleaned everything up and started fresh with Daz Studio for fresh Genesis/DS files and it completely removed all of the "An Error Has Occurred" problems related to loading Genesis/Support content. That is how I eventually learned to become a huge fan of DIM - even if only for Genesis, but now I use it for everything.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Hi de3an,

I suffered from this terribly when I got Pro 8.5 Didn't have the problem in beta or in 8.1

You are luckier than I was...I rarely got a second chance. Saving at anytime took ages for my 100+ mb file which was Genesis heavy in characters. Would get "An error occurred" when trying to render sometimes as well. In the Render room the preview pane would just have a big yellow square with the number 1 in it. It would take waiting for several seconds and re-clicking Preview pane before the render would start. The rendering time alone wasn't too bad, as long as I did not use any indirect light or gamma, etc. Just bare bones.

When I'd look at my CPU performance under Task Manager, I'd be down to zero memory! If I could save I'd close the file/programme, then reopen (took ages as well) and then could perform some tasks before going through the same rubbish again.

I upgraded my memory from 4gb to 16gb and the problem, along with the absurd saving time, went away! CPU performance now shows I have memory. In my little mind I wondered if saving just ate up too much memory.

Also did as Wendy suggested...got rid of unused objects/shaders and consolidated shaders which reduced file size.

I have Windows 7. 64-bit on a 4 year old Dell.

I really sympathise with you... it's the "not knowing" what causes it or how to avoid it that horrid. Sort of like my herniated disc in my back!

:) SileneUK

edited December 1969

Yeah... I don't recall which build it was, but it was driving me nuts! Funny, though...
    before a new build was released, someone told me (Holly, Wendy, both, neither?) to go back to a previous build - so I did. After only a short stint in that previous build, somebody else (Spooky, I believe?) had me try that same build that I was getting the errors in. I didn't download a new copy or anything - just installed it again, and I was trying to get it to happen - and it never did. I'm wondering if there are legacy files within older Genesis installs that can cause problems?

Another huge thing that changed how 8.5 behaves for me was to completely (now don't just go running off deleting stuff... I'm just reporting!) obliterate all of my Genesis/DS content and clean out my registry with C-Cleaner, went through and cleaned everything up and started fresh with Daz Studio for fresh Genesis/DS files and it completely removed all of the "An Error Has Occurred" problems related to loading Genesis/Support content. That is how I eventually learned to become a huge fan of DIM - even if only for Genesis, but now I use it for everything.

It looks like the problem is as elusive for you as it is for me. I have a couple of scenes that gave me the Save error many times during their creation. But now I can't get the error in either of them no matter what I do. I'm not using Genesis figures, so I don't think that is a factor, and I installed the extra content that DAZ included with Carrara 8.5 via the DIM.

Thanks for the info Dartanbeck.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

For what it's worth I haven't come across this problem with any version of Carrara from 6 onwards.

Mine have been running on OS from XP thru to Win8 in this time.. both 32 and 64 bit.

The only thing I do for every scene I save is what is in the screen capture below.. if that helps any :long:

carrara_save.jpg
    363 x 411 - 29K
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Hi de3an,

I suffered from this terribly when I got Pro 8.5 Didn't have the problem in beta or in 8.1

You are luckier than I was...I rarely got a second chance. Saving at anytime took ages for my 100+ mb file which was Genesis heavy in characters. Would get "An error occurred" when trying to render sometimes as well. In the Render room the preview pane would just have a big yellow square with the number 1 in it. It would take waiting for several seconds and re-clicking Preview pane before the render would start. The rendering time alone wasn't too bad, as long as I did not use any indirect light or gamma, etc. Just bare bones.

When I'd look at my CPU performance under Task Manager, I'd be down to zero memory! If I could save I'd close the file/programme, then reopen (took ages as well) and then could perform some tasks before going through the same rubbish again.

I upgraded my memory from 4gb to 16gb and the problem, along with the absurd saving time, went away! CPU performance now shows I have memory. In my little mind I wondered if saving just ate up too much memory.

Also did as Wendy suggested...got rid of unused objects/shaders and consolidated shaders which reduced file size.

I have Windows 7. 64-bit on a 4 year old Dell.

I really sympathise with you... it's the "not knowing" what causes it or how to avoid it that horrid. Sort of like my herniated disc in my back!

:) SileneUK

Hi Silene, thanks for posting.
    Sounds like you were actually running out of memory. I thought that might be what was happening in my case, but since I can successively Save on the second try, and then continue working with no performance issues, it doesn't seem like that's the problem here. But I'll have to check my memory usage the next time it happens, and see if it's getting low. I guess it could still be a factor.

edited October 2013

Stezza said:
    For what it's worth I haven't come across this problem with any version of Carrara from 6 onwards.

Mine have been running on OS from XP thru to Win8 in this time.. both 32 and 64 bit.

The only thing I do for every scene I save is what is in the screen capture below.. if that helps any :long:

Thanks Stezza.
    I choose to compress the file when saving. I know that Carrara sometimes doesn't close a compressed file properly when saving and quitting at the same time, but I don't think that's involved with this issue. But I suppose that the act of compressing a file could possibly run into some other kind of glitch that ends up producing the error message. Maybe a combination of compression and low memory.

Post edited by de3an on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Stezza said:

Thanks Stezza.
    I choose to compress the file when saving. I know that Carrara sometimes doesn't close a compressed file properly when saving and quitting at the same time, but I don't think that's involved with this issue. But I suppose that the act of compressing a file could possibly run into some othe kind of glitch that ends up producing the error message. Maybe a combination of compression and low memory.

I don't have C8. but I've never had that error in C7.2 on my Mac. I did have some issues with Carrara hanging up during saves on large scenes, or taking excessive amounts of time saving, and I used to get a lot of errors opening those files because I suspect they became corrupted. I read about the file compression issue and so I quit using that option, and I haven't had an issue since.

I would also note that since Carrara has to compress the file during the save process, it takes longer to save, and it follows that since Carrara has to decompress the file to open it, it takes longer to open. With today's large hard drives, I never felt the disk space that was saved, was worth the hassle and potential issues with saving a compressed file. I do tend to save locally anyway, so the stuff isn't saved internally which helps reduce file size as well.