Something is breaking my Carrara 8.5 install (Windows 10) [solved]

PGrePGre Posts: 95
edited January 2019 in Carrara Discussion

This is the second time in less than a month where Carrara fails to launch. The first time I spent three or four days uninstalling and reinstalling and fiddling with antivirus settings. I thought i might have installed the wrong version of PyCarrara as it was one of the last things I did before it started to crash. Then I was chasing down the preferences files in case they were corrupt. Google turns up the symptoms but everyones solution seems to be different and not applicable to my situation. I had to do a reinstall of Windows to get it working again and I really dont want to have to keep doing that. This morning I launched some newly update software from steam and it installed a Microsoft VC++ redistributable and now I'm wondering if thats causing the issue. Its hard to imagine not having access to Carrara after all these years but maybe its time to move on.

Post edited by PGre on

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

chickenman had a long problem with his Carrara

turned out to be display drivers for his daughters graphic tablet..

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/255036/preferences-file-carrara-crashing

so, probably something you installed at sometime caaused the problem.. 

• PGrePGre Posts: 95
    edited January 2019

Interesting. I have a Huion tablet as well. Earlier I noticed the tablet icon in the taskbar was crossed out. I just assumed that I had unplugged it from the USB port. When I checked it was still plugged in so I tapped it with the stylus to see if it would function and it did, And now Carrara opens.

Come to think of it, I remember being on the phone with tech support at Metacreations in the early 90's trying to figure out why Ray Dream was crashing out. As it turns out, it was caused by a driver for an HP printer. Weird

Post edited by PGre on
  • Can confirm the same behavior. I'm running Carrara 8.5 on a Windows 10 machine, and everytime I install the driver for my Huion 580 tablet, Carrara just refuses to open past a brief flash of the program window. Unistalling the driver immediately restores Carrara functionality. Guess I just have to never use Carrara and Photoshop at the same time! 'xD
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    PGre said:

Interesting. I have a Huion tablet as well. Earlier I noticed the tablet icon in the taskbar was crossed out. I just assumed that I had unplugged it from the USB port. When I checked it was still plugged in so I tapped it with the stylus to see if it would function and it did, And now Carrara opens.

Come to think of it, I remember being on the phone with tech support at Metacreations in the early 90's trying to figure out why Ray Dream was crashing out. As it turns out, it was caused by a driver for an HP printer. Weird

Ray Dream!

• PGre said:

Just bumping this thread. Had the exact same issue with 8.1 closing immediately on launch. Seems that yes not having my huion tablet unplugged was causing the issue.

What happens if my tablet dies - does that mean I can't use carrara until I get a new one? When box modelling I never use my tablet so I like to unplug it so I have more room around my workstation, now I won't be able to do that when using carrara.

Hopeing someone from Daz will look into this annoying issue.

• you could try creating a shortcut on your desktop to the driver and rightclick rename it to driver name.extension.bak whenever you need it disabled 

I do that to a few things that annoy me in other programs