Carrara 8.5 crashes when I put the serial number

denglerdengler Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi, I having some problems because I can use the Carrara 8.5. It crashes when I try to introduce the SN.
I'm in a MacBook Pro with Os 10.8.5 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7, 8GB Ram, 1600 Mhz DDR3

Anyone with this issue?

Comments

• rdollardrdollard Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

I'm having the same issue when trying to enter the serial number for Carrara 8.5 (Mac 32-bit) version 8.5.0.243 on mac os 10.9.1. I installed it with Install Manager 1.0.1.108. I even tried reinstalling Carrara with root user and then entering the serial number - still crashed.

Every time I start Carrara and either enter the serial number or click on "Trial", the application crashes. I'm not sure it is helpful, but here is the snippet of the error:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
    abort() called

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9b9dd952 __pthread_kill + 10
    1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x9bf8d167 pthread_kill + 101
    2 libsystem_c.dylib 0x94095340 abort + 155
    3 com.eovia.carrara.macho.8.5.0.243 0x0047024d boost::date_time::day_clock::local_day() + 4496639

• rdollardrdollard Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Ok. I was able to successfully run Carrara 8.5 (Mac-32 bit) on Mac OS 10.9.1 when running it in a terminal window with the sudo command. This is what I did:

1) Open a terminal window
    2) cd to //Applications/DAZ 3D/Carrara8.5/Carrara.app/Contents/MacOS
    3) run sudo ./Carrara

• ricmortonricmorton Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That's crazy. We shouldn't have to do that. I just downloaded my new Carrara 8.5 and have the same problem. It quits when I enter the serial and hit ok. I'm on a Mac Pro with 10.9.3. Interestingly, it worked at home on my iMac also running Mavericks, although the first time I tried it crashed. I hate Carrara. There has NEVER been a bug-free Mac version. Ever.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

ricmorton said:
    That's crazy. We shouldn't have to do that. I just downloaded my new Carrara 8.5 and have the same problem. It quits when I enter the serial and hit ok. I'm on a Mac Pro with 10.9.3. Interestingly, it worked at home on my iMac also running Mavericks, although the first time I tried it crashed. I hate Carrara. There has NEVER been a bug-free Mac version. Ever.

I can understand you're upset about it. However in two threads, including a very old one you resurrected, you never mention if you tried any of the posted solutions. If you want help, people will more than likely try and help. If you want to complain, that's fine as well, but please keep it centralized. If someone needs help or answers it can be lost in the noise of multiple threads that all have the same complaint.

edited December 1969

I'm not just complaining. I'm stating my problem like everyone else does. It's frustrating. And it's true that they have never made a Mac version of Carrara without major bugs. I should be able to say that without being chastised for it. I've been buying it since version 3. This is a problem. It should not crash on install. I haven't installed in a root user. I shouldn't have to be concerned about that. I'm not concerned with any other program I buy. I shouldn't have to open Terminal at all. That's just ridiculous. I shouldn't have to wait a day and a half to get a tech support reply. There should be a phone number for tech support. They're avoiding the conversations. Responding only by email allows them to sidestep the problem and just offer "try this" scenarios but we can't respond if we've already tried it. What's worse than buying a program you need only to find that it doesn't work? Or, as in my case, worked on one computer and not the other. Expressing frustration isn't complaining. This is what a forum is for. It's a "forum".

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Look CLOSELY at which button you are clicking on.

When Mavericks gives you the "this program is new and I am scared" warning LOOK AT WHICH BUTTON YOU ARE CLICKING. Apple has reversed the [OPEN] and [CLOSE] buttons to prevent you mindlessly accepting scary programs from the internet.

edited December 1969

Hmmm. Don't get that. I'm trying to open the program for the first time and it wants my serial number. When I enter it, the program crashes.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited June 2014

Is this a fresh download from DAZ?

to paraphrase:
    You can launch Carrara and see the splash screen, but the program crashes to desk top when you press the enter key after typing in the serial?

If you got it loaded and installed on the iMac, can you copy it over to the new computer? You will still need to put in the serial...

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited June 2014

ricmorton said:
    I'm not just complaining. I'm stating my problem like everyone else does. It's frustrating. And it's true that they have never made a Mac version of Carrara without major bugs. I should be able to say that without being chastised for it. I've been buying it since version 3. This is a problem. It should not crash on install. I haven't installed in a root user. I shouldn't have to be concerned about that. I'm not concerned with any other program I buy. I shouldn't have to open Terminal at all. That's just ridiculous. I shouldn't have to wait a day and a half to get a tech support reply. There should be a phone number for tech support. They're avoiding the conversations. Responding only by email allows them to sidestep the problem and just offer "try this" scenarios but we can't respond if we've already tried it. What's worse than buying a program you need only to find that it doesn't work? Or, as in my case, worked on one computer and not the other. Expressing frustration isn't complaining. This is what a forum is for. It's a "forum".

Your post came off as a complaint, not a question. You say you asked for help, yet the help provided by other users to other users wasn't the answer you wanted, so you complained you shouldn't have to use the terminal. I didn't see you asking for help. I saw you bitching about having to use a work around which is a legitimate bitch. However, it was the same bitch in two different threads. That was my concern. I wasn't chastising you for your comment, but the way it was done, and since it is a forum....

Again, I'm not saying there is nothing to complain about, but you must remember, we're Carrara users and not employees. We have no access to the code, nor are we able to make DAZ do anything. The solutions that are suggested are what we, as other users, do to get around a problem. If you don't like it, then it is your choice not to use the suggestions that seem to work.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Please try and keep the thread focused on the problem,
    I quote bullet point #2 from the DAZ 3D Forum ToS

Criticism should be directed towards the subject or topic at hand, rather than an individual. Posts which make blanket, unreasoned criticisms - of other members, of DAZ 3D, of products or applications, or of merchants and their products - may be removed in a general effort to control negativity.