Carrara Skin Shaders

FetitoFetito Posts: 481
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

What do "Carrara Skin Shaders For David 5" improve exactly? The rendering?

Aren't those supposed to be part of the pro package?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

What do "Carrara Skin Shaders For David 5" improve exactly? The rendering?

Aren't those supposed to be part of the pro package?

They would be optimized for Carrara.

Carrara is not Poser, but can open Poser files. The shaders have to get translated because the shader system is different. Sometimes things are lost or done differently because of these differences. There are some common image maps for instance that sometimes don't load, such as specular maps because of the different ways that Poser and Carrara do things. Reflection maps also don't always load. In fact, Poser used to need reflection maps because it couldn't do reflections, whereas Carrara's renderer could do reflections.

It's fairly common for Carrara users to tweak the shaders on Poser type figures and props because of what I mentioned above. The other reason Carraraists tend to tweak their shaders, is because the powerful shading system allows for nearly infinite ways to customize the look of your shaders and textures.

Regarding what is or is not included in the Pro package, I can't say.

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

@evilproducer: Thank you! I think V5 and M5 already contain the Carrara shaders. Maybe because those were part of the C8.5 Pro bundle.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

@evilproducer: Thank you! I think V5 and M5 already contain the Carrara shaders. Maybe because those were part of the C8.5 Pro bundle.
    Yeah. D5 wasn't part of the bundle. Two V5 and two M5 multi-shader sets were included in the Carrara 8.5 bundle, with a third for each of them in the Pro bundle - amongst many other goodies.

To apply them, since they are multi-shader sets, is to select actor and enter the texture room. Drag the Carrara M5 or V5 shader set from the browser over the big, multi-colored ball on the far right side up toward the top. After that is a good time to go Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Yeah. D5 wasn't part of the bundle. Two V5 and two M5 multi-shader sets were included in the Carrara 8.5 bundle, with a third for each of them in the Pro bundle - amongst many other goodies.

To apply them, since they are multi-shader sets, is to select actor and enter the texture room. Drag the Carrara M5 or V5 shader set from the browser over the big, multi-colored ball on the far right side up toward the top. After that is a good time to go Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders.

You shouldn't have to go to the shader room to apply the multi-shader. You should just have to select the shader tab at the top of the screen if the Actor (for gen 5), or Model (for gen 4 and earlier), is selected in the figure's hierarchy to reveal the shading domain list, and it's multi-colored ball icon in the Assembly room. From there, you should be able to drag the shader and drop it as you describe. Unless they changed it in C8.5, which would be a change for the worse.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

You shouldn't have to go to the shader room to apply the multi-shader. You should just have to select the shader tab at the top of the screen if the Actor (for gen 5), or Model (for gen 4 and earlier), is selected in the figure's hierarchy to reveal the shading domain list, and it's multi-colored ball icon in the Assembly room. From there, you should be able to drag the shader and drop it as you describe. Unless they changed it in C8.5, which would be a change for the worse.

Yup, works exactly the same way in 8.5. What's funny is I didn't realize this for *years* and always went into the texture room to add my master shader, and only recently realized this could be done in the Assembly room :)