The Carrara Challenge #4: The Twilight Zone Voting is CLOSED. WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

wow!

I got 2nd.. thanks to all that voted for my images.. very humbling..

.. such great work and it must of been very close for all.. everyone has done great work with these challenges and it helps so much with the WIPs to see methods that may not be thought of.. great learning experience. To those that missed out this time round your works were exceptional and I look forward to seeing more in future challenges, keep it going ;)

Thanks for your hosting of this comp FD a great challenge indeed.. and thanks to PhilW and DAZ for their support of this concept.. yay :)

Suggestion for future challenges:

I'd like to see more on the use of different cameras & lighting along with already mentioned items..

Once again congrats to the winner 1st Place: “Time Enough at Last” by evilproducer (#2) a great image

and also to

3rd Place: “Shhh!” by swordvisions (#5) - the most creepiest looking teddy ever.. love it

also Honourable Mention: A Game Of Shadows by MicioDue (#15) a great image which I was tossing up for one of my selections...

Looking forward to the next challenge... whatever it may be

Carry on Carrara-ing

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

wow!

and very well deserved as well - great stuff Stezza :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    wow!

and very well deserved as well - great stuff Stezza :)

I agree!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

even one should be happy with what they did - enjoyed them all !
    see you next time .

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    even one should be happy with what they did - enjoyed them all !
    see you next time .

I agree with that as well! I loved seeing the diversity of entries and the especially the WIPs. It's really cool to see an idea start at a concept and follow it through to completion. I also find the mis-steps and happy accidents along the way to the completed image very educational and interesting.

edited December 1969

Hi could the 4 winners please PM me their daz related email addresses? and I will send them onto Britney.
    The emails make life easier for Britney.

cheers

:)

edited December 1969

here's a quote from a few PM's I have sent - some hints and stuff for evil and future challenge sponsors:
    I'm sure Antara and FD will have other input.

Firstly let me say that you make the rules - that is the name of the game. So feel free to ignore these.

But you need to consider these things at the beginning and make them clear at some time to everyone.

1) what to do with anonymous votes. I got some flack in this regard.
    2) what to do if the same artist is going to win two prizes. My thoughts are that people should only be able to win one prize.
    3) what to do if there is a tie in the voting. How to decide.
    4) how to pick the Honourable Mention. It’s a good idea to get the Sponsor to pick this.
    5) WIPs: it would be a good idea if people put at least two wips in the WIP thread during the contest. This will keep your job easier as people will be posting on a more regular basis and getting and gaining feedback (hopefully) and encouraging themselves.

Theme:

You could use the title of any prose or poem to suggest and idea for people to illustrate.

Suggested TIMEs

A month for the contest seems good.
    Voting time seven days,

So

Day 1: announce contest rules in the WIP thread and ask for any questions people have.
    Three weeks later - open the Finished Artwork thread.
    One week later open voting in this same thread. (change the thread title too)
    Voting closes 6-7 days later.

About two days before voting ends you will have a rough idea of who are the place getters so you can ask your sponsor to pick an Honourable Mention from those who won’t win 1,2,3 places.
    Announce winners. (Change thread title again to reflect this)

Sponsorship.

The deal with DAZ goes on until it sours - ie we screw up. So the money prizes will stay the same. Let me know who wins and I will contact Britney.

It's important to rewards sponsors for their kindness so we need to make sure people are aware of who they are etc and provide links to their products. It's a win win situation - more sales by sponsors means more stuff for carrara means more carrara users etc. We also need to provide links to previous sponsors as well.

The aim of the challenge for me is:

To see people making great renders in Carrara.
    To get people seeing these renders and they themselves getting involved in Carrara.
    To get Pa’s to make plugins etc for Carrara which will make Carrara better software.
    The better that Carrara gets, the more things PA’s sell, the more things Pa’s will make and the happier Daz will be
    and in the long term the better Carrara will be.

So in the end we have a greater user base and more powerful software.

That said, I think it’s important that Carrara users produce work that doesn’t echo studio’s output,

Content:

To be honest I’ve always been keen on making my own stuff but after chatting with PA's I now understand Daz’ driving force.

Daz won’t spend much on improving Carrara because it is not economically viable.
    The way to make it viable to Daz is to show how much Carrara users spend with DAz, and to get Pa’s making stuff for Carrara.
    So I am all for focusing on content.!

But that is your choice.

If people use content like M4 I would suggest that they need to make him totally unrecognisable. That will help alleviate the cliches that we often see in renders.

But people should identify the content they are using and point towards the vendors sites.

Now I am sure I have left something out?

Oh when you post the rules to the ‘challenge’ (not contest ) best to l post them in a few places for you. EG commons Renderosity etc.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestions Andrew!

edited December 1969

pleasure! Thank you for being the Host :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Hi could the 4 winners please PM me their daz related email addresses? and I will send them onto Britney.

cheers

I was going to do that! I've already been liaising with Britney so she is expecting it.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    head wax said:

cheers

I was going to do that! I've already been liaising with Britney so she is expecting it.

sorry PhilW didn't realise you had been doing that! I'll be in touch via PM
    cheers,
    thanks again for your generous sponsorship !

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    here's a quote from a few PM's I have sent - some hints and stuff for evil and future challenge sponsors:
    I'm sure Antara and FD will have other input.

I think your list covers the field quite nicely. This past month's challenge ran so smoothly that I hardly did a thing! ... Which was good, since I have been distracted with PySwarm the past 2 weeks. :D

Challenge #5 is in capable hands. I'm going to enjoy watching this one unfold!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

In my defense, I had my wife standing over my shoulder, tapping her feet impatiently, waiting for me to get my ass in gear and run an errand! ;-)
    evilproducer's little wife is truly adorable! Beyond being tiny and cute, she is likely a tomboy - I think, because she seems very athletic - like she could totally kick my arse if she wanted to! ;)
    It's a good thing you hit 'submit' to come back later!
    edited December 1969

FD wroteth

I think your list covers the field quite nicely.
    Thanks FD :)

PhilW: I have sent you a PM

cheers :)

edited December 1969

Thanks all for the PMs - I have passed on your prize requests to Britney at DAZ so hopefully these will get fulfilled within the next couple of days.

edited December 1969

Hey all, I just wanted to let you know that unless there's a catastrophe, I'll post the new challenge WIP thread tomorrow.

edited December 1969

is that tomorrow your time?

as it's already tomorrow where I am ;)

edited December 1969

it's yesterday here :)

edited December 1969

Enough comments from the peni- I mean peanut gallery! :coolgrin:

edited December 1969

Hey all, I just wanted to let you know that unless there's a apostrophe, I'll post the new challenge WIP thread tomorrow.

aha, I hope there are no apostrophes then !

edited November 2013

Hey all, I just wanted to let you know that unless there's a apostrophe, I'll post the new challenge WIP thread tomorrow.

aha, I hope there are no apostrophes then !

I think your participle is dangling. Looks kind of painful. Ya' may want to get that looked at maybe.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

oh that's a past participle - nothing to worry about :)

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners! You rock, people!

And, EP, the next challenge theme is great and nicely wide open. I really hope I get some time this month to participate. Best of luck hosting! :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Antara! You and the past hosts have set the bar pretty high! I hope to be able to meet the standard!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Thanks all for the PMs - I have passed on your prize requests to Britney at DAZ so hopefully these will get fulfilled within the next couple of days.

Thanks philw for your support of the challenge very happy with my selection :-)

edited December 1969

Got mine today! Thanks Phil and Brittney!

edited December 1969

Sorry it's taken so long - I submitted the list to Daz to fulfil in early November and after chasing, thought this had all been resolved on 2 Dec. Glad you at least got it for the holidays - have a great Christmas!

• MicioDueMicioDue Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Sorry it's taken so long - I submitted the list to Daz to fulfil in early November and after chasing, thought this had all been resolved on 2 Dec. Glad you at least got it for the holidays - have a great Christmas!

I am still waiting, but perhaps Santa DAZ will bring my prizes in time for Christmas. ;)
    I have been really busy in november and I've had no time at all for Challenge #5... now I'm trying to fine a good phobia for the current one, I hope to post a first WIP soon. :)
    edited December 1969

MicioDue said:
    PhilW said:

I am still waiting, but perhaps Santa DAZ will bring my prizes in time for Christmas. ;)
    I have been really busy in november and I've had no time at all for Challenge #5... now I'm trying to fine a good phobia for the current one, I hope to post a first WIP soon. :)

Hi MicioDue, Please check your PMs.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Enough comments from the peni- I mean peanut gallery! :coolgrin:

I believed that North America is still very prudish!