Someone sent me a PM about fonts

DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Someone (not going to reveal a name. Maybe the person doesn't wish anyone to know about it. I can be private about this:

I tried PMing you back and it won't let me send to you. So here's my response. Feel free to PM me back, or post here, whichever you prefer.

I'm not really sure what you mean, so I opened Carrara and opened a new scene - but one that I have that already has lights set up.
I went 'Insert > Text' and the window pops up where you enter your text. The window fills the entire work area, like a model room.
Here I looked to see what font it was on. It was Arial, so that's what I typed: "Arial".
Then I went back into the Assembly Room (little hand icon in the far upper right) and there was the text: "Arial" in the scene. So I added a plane (Insert > Plane) to give the text a floor and did a test render.
Then I started typing this response and saved the screenshot I took.
I don't really know Hexagon... sorry.

~ carrara 8.5 pro will NOT show fonts in viewer just a bounding box. ~ will NOT render said fonts either no matter which font I choose...importing OR text tab will not work ~ also hexagon seems quirky with fonts...is it my video settings
Text_in_Carrara_-_Arial.jpg
1680 x 945 - 215K

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Not sure what the question is, but I take it the individual may be having trouble with fonts displaying correctly in the text primitive?

I also have a few fonts that don't display correctly. I used to like one that would work in Raydream called, Symbol, but this is what I get in Carrara and in my Text editor:

Picture_2.png
    631 x 406 - 61K
    Picture_3.png
    533 x 670 - 67K
    Picture_1.png
    591 x 138 - 15K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Dammit! Did you edit your response to include the question? Ah well. Never mind, it's not the issue I have described, which is probably more to do with the font family not being compatible with what Carrara can display.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Symbol always looks like that to me.. LOL

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited October 2013

symbol is a special character font. you need a truetype font for carrara to display it. i dont know if carrara is open font intelligent yet that would be ideal. but make sure all fonts are truetype (tt) not postcript in your OS fonts folder. Arial is a truetype font its part of the OS

Post edited by dot_bat on
  • Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited October 2013

I bet he had "bounding box selected".

boundingbox.jpg
    1109 x 541 - 109K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
    edited December 1969

it would still render though, yes?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

is it all fonts or specific ones as I use different fonts a lot in Carrara and all render inc the webdings and added ones like Gentium book basic.
    if Hexagon also, I suspect something is going on with his fonts themselves.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

True. Hmmmmm...

edited December 1969

if you are on a pc all fonts are truetype or new computer they might be openfont on a mac there is a mix of truetype tt, postscript ps and openfonts (otf). it could be his or her fonts. just have to make sure the have a tt or TT. might be the problem