Pepper Hair - mirrored version?

XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello!

Referring to this product: http://www.daz3d.com/pepper-hair

This is a pretty cool hairstyle for my needs. But often enough I wish to have a mirrored version of it, so that the shaved part is on the other side of the head. Unfortunately this hairstyle does not offer a mirrored version like some others do.

So can this be done manually? Can I mirror it without loosing anything (textures, morphs)?

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Set the scale on the x-axis to -100%. You may need to right click the Parameters tab > Show hidden to see the scaling functions.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Hey Vaskania!

You are always very fast and helpful. I will try that. Thank you very much!

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Set the scale on the x-axis to -100%. You may need to right click the Parameters tab > Show hidden to see the scaling functions.

WOW.........such a simple thing to do.....works great on the Diva hair.......I wondered how that was done, saw it mirrored in one of the DAZ promo images..........hmmmm will this same technique work on clothing?

Thanks for sharing the info!

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

WOW.........such a simple thing to do.....works great on the Diva hair.......I wondered how that was done, saw it mirrored in one of the DAZ promo images..........hmmmm will this same technique work on clothing?

Thanks for sharing the info!

Using it on clothing yields some scary results, so I wouldn't advise it.

It is also useful for vehicles though to create US/UK vehicles. Just note that any textures with words/numbers will read backwards so you'll need to flip the textures to be backwards themselves so they flip to the right side when used on a negatively scaled vehicle.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

I had no time to test it yet, but I think this method should work with any kind of object, also on clothes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:
    I had no time to test it yet, but I think this method should work with any kind of object, also on clothes.

The problem with clothes is that the rigging isn't mirrored in its effects, so things don't git once the figure is posed. It works, without rerigging, only on static prop-type objects.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

I always hate it when the simplest and most logical of solutions is never obvious to me... :)
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:

The problem with clothes is that the rigging isn't mirrored in its effects, so things don't git once the figure is posed. It works, without rerigging, only on static prop-type objects.

Just trying to mirror some of my poses so that I can try mirroring some of the draping pose morphs on my sets, would be very cool if could make it work! Now......updated to Studio 4.6.1.17 release but have had this problem with previous version as well.....I cannot get a pose to mirror properly with these settings:

Nodes: Root
    Propagation: Recursive
    Direction: Swap Left Right
    Trunk Nodes: Mirror YZ

Is there a step I'm missing? I have Genesis selected prior to opening symmetry dialogue and all of the translation, rotation, scale boxes are left as is with all boxes check marked.

edited December 1969

XoechZ said:

Just trying to mirror some of my poses so that I can try mirroring some of the draping pose morphs on my sets, would be very cool if could make it work! Now......updated to Studio 4.6.1.17 release but have had this problem with previous version as well.....I cannot get a pose to mirror properly with these settings:

Is there a step I'm missing? I have Genesis selected prior to opening symmetry dialogue and all of the translation, rotation, scale boxes are left as is with all boxes check marked.

That should work, as long as the poses are pure joint rotations. if you've used any pose controls you will have to hand-mirror those (I did look at writing a script to handle it, but identifying all and only the pose controls that need mirroring looked too complex - though I think I missed a trick).

edited December 1969

XoechZ said:

That should work, as long as the poses are pure joint rotations. if you've used any pose controls you will have to hand-mirror those (I did look at writing a script to handle it, but identifying all and only the pose controls that need mirroring looked too complex - though I think I missed a trick).

I'll have to file a bug report I guess......it is purely not working for me!

symmetry_test_pose.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 118K
    symmetry_test_result.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 118K
    edited December 1969

What, if anything, shows if you select the root node (Genesis/Genesis 2 Female) and click on Used in the Parameter or Posing panes?

edited October 2013

What, if anything, shows if you select the root node (Genesis/Genesis 2 Female) and click on Used in the Parameter or Posing panes?

Here's a screen shot:
    Untitled2.png
    1920 x 1200 - 382K
    Untitled.png
    1920 x 1200 - 516K
    Post edited by Aave Nainen on
    edited December 1969

All I can say is that looks right, but symmetry is working for me. Could you send me the pose and I'll see if it fails for me? my daz3d.com address is rhaseltine.

edited December 1969

All I can say is that looks right, but symmetry is working for me. Could you send me the pose and I'll see if it fails for me? my daz3d.com address is rhaseltine.

Thank you Richard, emailed pose to you this morning.

edited December 1969

Symmetry seems to be working with the pose for me. Ack - I just noticed you screen shots is set to left to right, which copies the left side to the right, rather than Swap left and right.

edited October 2013

I don't know if there's an easy way to swap left/right, but there *is* a method. Use the symmetry feature to get your one side to the other, then select everything on the side you don't want and zero it all out and remake it to reflect what it needs to be.

I hope that makes sense. :ohh:

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Symmetry seems to be working with the pose for me. Ack - I just noticed you screen shots is set to left to right, which copies the left side to the right, rather than Swap left and right.

ahhhhhh

I had:

Direction: Left to Right

must be:

Direction: Swap Left and Right

Woot woot all is working fine now!!!!!!!

Thank you Richard!

edited December 1969

I'm sorry I was so slow to notice it in your settings.

edited December 1969

I'm sorry I was so slow to notice it in your settings.

Lol.......I didn't notice and it was right there in my face.....on my computer :)

• VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Wouldn't a simple solution be to flip the image in post work?

edited October 2013

Why did I never notice the Swap in the symmetry dialog? Meh. lol

Vanguard said:

That would only work if you rendered out the figure and hair separately so you don't flip the entire figure with it.

As for the pose, Aave's going for mirrors for draping morphs.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Why did I never notice the Swap in the symmetry dialog? Meh. lol

Vanguard said:

That would only work if you rendered out the figure and hair separately so you don't flip the entire figure with it.

As for the pose, Aave's going for mirrors for draping morphs.

Yes......exactly.......and finally figured out how to make that work. Now anyone with one of my outfits can get more bang for the buck......I did a quick tutorial for You Tube if anyone wants to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNdRs2w4XeY