Fast extrude a line created with circle from centre

I am following the tutorial from submergered in Hexagon from  @DigitalArtLive and @Arki. I cant seem to get past the first step She creates a circle from centre the selects the line, clicks on fast extrude then using the yellow centre dot on the gizmo extudes the line in toward the centre.  My hexagon does not do that, I select the circle line click on fast extrude then the centre dot on my gizmo doesn't turn yellow and won't extrude at all , it just unselects the line.  How do I extrude a line into the centre from a circle? I am trying to do this in the Hexagon Beta

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Is this what you are trying to do? If so, I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

Click the image for a video (expand to full screen to view the mouse clicks):

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

@de3an thanks so much for the video, that is what I was trying to do but for some reason on the gizmo to scale the circle the center dot was stayiing green instead of turning yellow so it wasn't doing anything.  I am not sure what I did different but I finally got it to work last night.  Thaks again for the help

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited February 2019

Wow. I never knew that Hexagon could even do that. Cool.

Subscribed.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • Kharma said:

@de3an thanks so much for the video, that is what I was trying to do but for some reason on the gizmo to scale the circle the center dot was stayiing green instead of turning yellow so it wasn't doing anything.  I am not sure what I did different but I finally got it to work last night.  Thaks again for the help

Hi Kharma,  sounds like you are using the wrong manipulator.  The basic translate manipulator won't let you extrude that way, it will stay green, so try with the universal manipulator. 

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Hi Kharma,  sounds like you are using the wrong manipulator.  The basic translate manipulator won't let you extrude that way, it will stay green, so try with the universal manipulator. 

I didn't even think about the other manipulators. My version of Hexagon (Mac OS) defaults to the universal manipulator on start-up, and interestingly, none of the manipulator icons are initially highlighted (as you can see in the example in my previous post), even though the Universal one is being used.

Indeed, Kharma's description sounds as if the Translate manipulator was selected.

Does anyone else have the situation where there appears to be no manipulator selected (highlighted) after freshly launching Hexagon?

If so, (or even if not), what version and OS are you using? Wondering if it's a Mac thing, or if it does this in Windows also.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

So I tested the different manipulator selections and that was exactly what I was doing wrong, so I must have just clicked on the right one by chance when it finally worked so at least I know for next time to select the universal manipulator before trying to extrude.  Thanks so much for all the help!

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited February 2019

Oh ya. Always have the universal manipulator switched on. Always. Not sure why Eovia included the other ones to begin with.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • MaxHancockMaxHancock Posts: 226
    edited February 2019
    Kharma said:

Oh ya. Always have the universal manipulator switched on. Always. Not sure why Eovia included the other ones to begin with.

I use the scale manipulator a lot, it has some cool hidden features I'll have to show sometime.  Otherwise, yeah, I think the translate manipulator exist in case the other gadgets get in the way, like when you are in front view.

Post edited by MaxHancock on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    de3an said:

I didn't even think about the other manipulators. My version of Hexagon (Mac OS) defaults to the universal manipulator on start-up, and interestingly, none of the manipulator icons are initially highlighted (as you can see in the example in my previous post), even though the Universal one is being used.

Indeed, Kharma's description sounds as if the Translate manipulator was selected.

Does anyone else have the situation where there appears to be no manipulator selected (highlighted) after freshly launching Hexagon?

If so, (or even if not), what version and OS are you using? Wondering if it's a Mac thing, or if it does this in Windows also.

I have seen from time to time that it seems like I end up with no manipulator selected (running on Windows). It's gotten to where I just treat that as another charming "quirk" of Hexagon and get used to checking to make sure the right manipulator is being used if it seems like stuff isn't working the way I expected it to.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    JonnyRay said:

I have seen from time to time that it seems like I end up with no manipulator selected (running on Windows). It's gotten to where I just treat that as another charming "quirk" of Hexagon and get used to checking to make sure the right manipulator is being used if it seems like stuff isn't working the way I expected it to.

Make sure you do not still have a tool active waiting for confirmation, are having an object in the scene selected and didn't accidentally hit SPACE to hide the manipulator.