Instructions For Use Of Products

2»

Comments

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited March 2019
    Leana said:
    jake_f said:

Agreed. I feel that having some basic knowledge of 3D should be a prerequisite for using DS or any 3d app.

So, before using 3d software you should have some experience using 3d software? That could be rather difficult.

I would suggest an alternative plan, if DAZ3d wants new customers, would be to provide a beginners course with clear instructions on at least the major features of DS and the DAZ3d site too.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • jake_fjake_f Posts: 226
    Leana said:

"Forums" is one of the big links present at the top of each and every page of the site, it's rather hard to miss...

Said she who already knows the site forward and backwards.  In fact on the sales pages the Forums link is hidden behind an obscure icon.

Example:

https://www.daz3d.com/kassandra-hd-for-genesis-8-female

• jake_fjake_f Posts: 226

Agreed. I feel that having some basic knowledge of 3D should be a prerequisite for using DS or any 3d app. They all have learning curves and most don't have a 3D 101 class attached to them. if a user isn't willing to invest the time and effort needed to learn, then that is on them, not the company selling the app or content.IMO.

Yes, I agree. Every problem is always the user's fault.  This is the most winning sales strategy for sure.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388
    edited March 2019
    jake_f said:
    Leana said:

"Forums" is one of the big links present at the top of each and every page of the site, it's rather hard to miss...

Said she who already knows the site forward and backwards.  In fact on the sales pages the Forums link is hidden behind an obscure icon.

Example:

https://www.daz3d.com/kassandra-hd-for-genesis-8-female

What is your "example" supposed to show? The forums link is clearly visible at the top of this product page...

And if you're using the site on a mobile device it's in the site menu that you can access using the same "menu" icon as on most other sites.

2019-03-21_10h41_07.png
    1490 x 460 - 580K
    Post edited by Leana on
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited March 2019

Relying on the forum to provide immediate tech / product support is a bit misguided.

Yes, it is a treasure trove of information. But finding that information, particularly for the uninitaited, is daunting to say the least.

For example, the search function is wonky; either providing no or way too many results.

The basic request of including instructions is very valid and I am not quite understanding the outright resistenace to even suggesting such a change.

Yes, the vast majority of products are self explanitory and don't need detailed instructions.
    Yes, most of the complicated products that do need instructions usually include them.

However, finding products is extremely problematic. The nature of DS provides so much flexiability in this regard that it can be detremental. Including a manifest of file locations would be helpful. Currently locating of files can be done:
    1. The search within DS. (When I can remember the name of the product and appears to only work with Product names, not individual asset names.)
    2. Windows search on my various install directories. (Time consuming and has to be done multiple times.)
    3. DIM "installed files" option. (I don't like using this because of how long DIM takes to load up for me, too many installed products.)
    4. Picking through XML files in the DIM directories. (Really a pain. Last resort.)

As I mentioned previously, I have returned more than one product simply for the reason that it had no instructions.

[Edited because I type very poorly in the morning it seems. Probably all the time actually.]

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    Leana said:
    jake_f said:

Agreed. I feel that having some basic knowledge of 3D should be a prerequisite for using DS or any 3d app.

So, before using 3d software you should have some experience using 3d software? That could be rather difficult.

I would suggest an alternative plan, if DAZ3d wants new customers, would be to provide a beginners course with clear instructions on at least the major features of DS and the DAZ3d site too.

i stand by my statement. 3D is not a learn all, one step process, it is incremental. I started poking around the insides of a game I loved playing many years ago, then found a tutorial online about a certain type of modding for it, then found a simple app that let me create things for that game, and so on. Since that point I have tried nearly every modeling app there is, used numerous game engines, worked for 2 game studios, ran my own commercial addon site for a popular game and.....there are still things I don't know about what Daz Studio does, but I still learn things about it with each use.

Daz would have to start a whole other website with a whole new staff if their goal was also to get new users up to speed on 3d and what it is. Would it be beneficial in bringing in new customers and sales, sure, but would the retun on investment outweigh the extra time, effort and cost that comes in doing so.

There is already info out there on how many things work in DS,  from forum posts, to the wiki to the youtube videos. I have accessed all these places when I have been stumped on something and usually find the answers I needed. To many times I see a user both here and else where ask for a link to something when they could easily search for it themselves. Personal responsibility goes a long way when it comes to learning and sadly, many don't have any.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    Leana said:
    jake_f said:

i stand by my statement. 3D is not a learn all, one step process, it is incremental. 

Daz would have to start a whole other website with a whole new staff if their goal was also to get new users up to speed on 3d and what it is. Would it be beneficial in bringing in new customers and sales, sure, but would the retun on investment outweigh the extra time, effort and cost that comes in doing so.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that learning 3D should be a one step process. Of course there is a learning curve and after that there is a curve towards mastery of the process (which doubtless only a few if any will attain).  However I think the original poster asked for more instructions. Suggestions have been made to have a specific Forum for existing products, one thread for each product, to make the process of getting help easier and quicker. As to your last statement "Would it be beneficial in bringing in new customers and sales, sure, but would the retun on investment outweigh the extra time, effort and cost that comes in doing so." This is a no brainer; any company who does not encourage and invest in new customers is on a one way track to oblivion. I don't think DAZ3d has that goal.

• Daywalker DesignsDaywalker Designs Posts: 3,586
    edited March 2019
    If a content creator starts a thread, it's usually found in this forum: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/daz-pa-commercial-products , though some will post them in The Commons instead. Most of the DAZ Original content doesn't get an official thread, but there will be unofficial ones started in The Commons within a few minutes of the figure's release.

As for how to use them, there actually are available lessons included with the software that explains how to find the figure in the UI and use it; although that is mostly targeted for older Genesis generations, the principles are the same for all of them.

Post edited by Daywalker Designs on