Better searchability?

mike_42547761mike_42547761 Posts: 129
edited February 2019 in Product Suggestions

The DB search in the Content Library pane is awfully innaccurate. I find that it rarely works, even when I'm searching for assets I know that I have or even am currently viewing. Often a basic word that should return many results doesn't, but I can find the item if I search my actual files in the content library pane. This is fine for easy-to-find assets, but sometimes requires a lot of time to manually search to find something that should be easily found by even a basic filename search algorithm. I've actually just been using my windows explorer to locate assets then go back into daz and pull them up becasue it's faster and more reliable than the built in DB search in Daz. Surely there has to be an easy fix to improve the searchability within the program?

Post edited by mike_42547761 on

Comments

• The Smart Content search has more options.

• That's fair, but I have a large library of third party assets on an external harddrive. If I want to search them in smart content pane I'd need to create metadata for all of them, and ain't nobody got no time for that. 

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

There have been several threads on this subject. We are still waiting. 

• I got tired of it and put all my assets on a spreadsheet.

• I got tired of it and put all my assets on a spreadsheet.

Same here, it was the only way to keep track and actually find stuff when I needed it.  I was spending a lot of time re-loading purchase lists on sites to figure out what I actually had, and file names, so I could actually use what I already had as opposed to buying something I didn't actually need (or already owned but had forgotten about!)

• Yeah, some categories of stuff I know I'm probably going to want to find again and again.... such as assorted toys for floor clutter, or certain sorts of rooms... I've taken to making a 3x5 card with all those particular type of products on it, and write down a path to where each of them can be found via the Content LIbrary tab, so I can readily find them all again in 6 months time when I need that danged purple six-armed teddybear from Zeta VIII again.  (No, someone hasn't actually made a purple, six-armed teddybear (yet?) but if they did, I'd snap it right up!  Hah!)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602
    edited March 2019

For me it is the little items in the sets which I often forget about.usually they are named oddly as well making the search impossible to usel

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • For me it is the little items in the sets which I often forget about.usually they are named oddly as well making the search impossible to usel

I could not agree more. Already a consideration of the "findability" in naming stuff would save a great deal of time. Not only when using, even when buying!