Question about UE

MegarigMegarig Posts: 88
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Simply, does it matter where I place the UE element itself for said lighting effect, or can I leave it in the default centered position? In other words, if I move it, will it make any difference in the final render?

Comments

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Megarig said:
    Simply, does it matter where I place the UE element itself for said lighting effect, or can I leave it in the default centered position? In other words, if I move it, will it make any difference in the final render?

Hi...

Well I guess it depends...do you mean the little C in the scene? If so, I do believe that that is just a place holder for the UE and doesn't matter if you move it.

If you mean the UE sphere... than yes, it could. If you have an image on it from one of the Presets, than moving or rotating the sphere will effect how the light is passed to the elements in the scene.

Have you read adam001's UE tutorial up in the Stickies? That might help you understand it allot better.

Hope this helps... :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,374
    edited December 1969

Moving shouldn't affect it, but rotating it will - like a distant light, environment lights shine from "outside" the scene, so their translation doesn't matter, but their facing does.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited June 2012

I just tested it, translation alone (even outside the sphere) gives no difference that my image editor can discern.

Post edited by ReDave on
  • MegarigMegarig Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

niccipb said:
    Megarig said:

Hi...

Well I guess it depends...do you mean the little C in the scene? If so, I do believe that that is just a place holder for the UE and doesn't matter if you move it.

If you mean the UE sphere... than yes, it could. If you have an image on it from one of the Presets, than moving or rotating the sphere will effect how the light is passed to the elements in the scene.

Have you read adam001's UE tutorial up in the Stickies? That might help you understand it allot better.

Hope this helps... :)

Well, yeah - I was referring to the element that appears when you load the UE into a scene (in the center, like any other light element), and I was wondering whether moving it around makes any difference. You mentioned the UE sphere and having an image on it - I haven't played with the UE much (not at all, really), so I'm not sure what you mean.

And no, I haven't looked at the tutorial, so maybe I will.

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Yes that little C will have no effect on the lighting if you move it, just don't delete or hide it. UE loads a large sphere in the scene, that is what projects the light. You can rotate the sphere to change how the light shines on your scene.

Below where you loaded the UE in the Content Tab are presets. Those have images that are placed on the sphere like a texture and the light and dark areas of the image determine the amount of light that shines on your scene and from where. Also there are the quality settings for the UE listed there as well.

The tutorial really explains allot about UE but if there is anything that you don't understand just ask.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,374
    edited December 1969

No, the sphere is a non-rendering preview tool - it allows you to see where the bright areas are on the environment map. The C is the actual light avatar and must be left in place.