Skinny ribs for Genesis 8

Request for a DAZ3d PA to make a "Skinny ribs" morph for Genesis 8. I'm looking for a morph to make the Genesis 8 figure have her ribs showing as in the attached images. I'm not looking for a totally anorexic/zombie look, just very skinny as some women are naturally. If you care to add other skinny morphs to the package such as prominent hip bones, knobbly knees etc, that would be nice too.

I have tried modeling skinny ribs for Genesis 8 myself in Zbrush, but there are simply not enough polygons in the base mesh (thanks DAZ3d angry ) to make a realistic looking morph. This, unfortunately for me, has to be a HD morph.

skinnyribs1.jpg
840 x 560 - 44K
skinnyribs2.jpg
638 x 684 - 164K
skinnyribs3.jpg
286 x 176 - 8K
skinnyribs4.jpg
500 x 333 - 15K
skinnyribs5.jpg
250 x 376 - 11K

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

If you have https://www.daz3d.com/sakura-8 the 'Ribs Detail' morph works on other G8F figures - as do most (all?) of Sakura 8's morphs.

You could do a search in your Parameters pane (with any G8F loaded and selected) for ribs, and see if any morphs are there already.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Sakura's ribs are the best I have seen. However, they are a bit too uniform, too anime/stylized perhaps. They also seem to stop half way around the chest, appearing on the front of the chest only. I'd certainly be interested in an alternative, hopefully more realistic, skinny ribs morph,

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

If you own the G8F / G8M Body Morphs DAZ Originals than the emanciated morph is part of those.

I do have the G8F DAZ Originals Body Morphs. Unfortunately, the Emaciated morph is a full body morph and really is too anorexic/zombie like at 100%. Even at 100% the ribs are not nearly as clear as in the skinny girls shown in the images above. For some strange reason, they also only extend to the front of the chest and not the sides (as in the images above). At lower % the emaciated look is less, but the ribs become almost invisible again.

What I'm looking for is a torso only morph that gives distinct ribs that show all the way around the chest, as in real life. Additional separate "Skinny" morphs like prominent hip bones, shoulder blades, elbows, knees would also be nice, but these are easier to model myself in Zbrush as there are just about enough polygons to get a reasonable effect. However the G8F chest does not have enough polygons to model realistic ribs (as shown in the images above), I must rely on a PA  as they have access to DAZ3d HD technology. Since skinny fashion models are always popular, I think that a set of Skinny Morphs would sell quite well and be quite easy to make.

• andrushuk1andrushuk1 Posts: 342

This would be a welcomed product ,i been looking for a good rib morph as well.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited March 2019

Thar sort of rib showing you speak of is usually dependant in the arms being stretched up & out and breath being inhaled on a thin not very muscular person more than being really too skinny like emanciated. All of the DO waif style characters would show ribs like that but only in specific situations. It's not going to look right in other poses and I don't know there is financial incentive to spend so much time sculpting such a niche item. 

Why don't you buy X-Morphs and see if you can transfer only the ribs over to a seperate morph?

By the way - those pictures are using harsh, high contrast studio lighting, the models have deeply inhaled to expand and flex their rib cages, and to top it off, sucked in their guts. Hardly a realistic way to present the fit of clothing but whatever.

If you are animating you need to sync the ribs showing at the right time and that emanciated morph is closer than you think. Just don't dial it in all the way. And if you are animating then alternate between 25% emanciated & 50% or 75% emanciated depending on the current pose and whether in rib cage is expanded with an inhaled breath.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited March 2019

Thar sort of rib showing you speak of is usually dependant in the arms being stretched up & out and breath being inhaled on a thin not very muscular person more than being really too skinny like emanciated. All of the DO waif style characters would show ribs like that but only in specific situations. It's not going to look right in other poses and I don't know there is financial incentive to spend so much time sculpting such a niche item. 

If you look at the images I showed above you will see two with arms up and two with arms very much down, so the ribs showing does not depend only on arm position. Making a skinny ribs morph would not take a long time, it is a simple mesh morph, it does not require any special rigging, it simply needs access to DAZ3d HD technology as there are insufficient polygons in the G8F mesh to allow this without the HD technology.

Why don't you buy X-Morphs and see if you can transfer only the ribs over to a seperate morph?

I do have X-morphs but as I pointed out, the Emaciated morph does not show ribs at the side as would be realistic (as shown in the images above), so isolating the Chest part of the Emaciated morph would not work.

By the way - those pictures are using harsh, high contrast studio lighting, the models have deeply inhaled to expand and flex their rib cages, and to top it off, sucked in their guts. Hardly a realistic way to present the fit of clothing but whatever.

I'm not asking you to like a Skinny ribs morph and I don't want to get in to a discusion about what is artistic or not, that would be off topic.

If you are animating you need to sync the ribs showing at the right time and that emanciated morph is closer than you think. Just don't dial it in all the way. And if you are animating then alternate between 25% emanciated & 50% or 75% emanciated depending on the current pose and whether in rib cage is expanded with an inhaled breath.

As I pointed out, the Emaciated morph is not realistic as it does not show the ribs at the side of the chest, only the front. I'm sure its a wonderful morph for many purposes but not what I want.

Thanks for the tip on animating, I'll bear that in mind when eventually I get around to trying animation.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,587
    edited March 2019

About Male, I use 20% of Wither and X-Morphs (create body morph)

Post edited by Noah LGP on

Cool image Noah. Not quite what I'm looking for (Zombie/Anorexic) but nice image anyway.

• You could try this free set of 200 head and body morphs Sickle Yield:

http://sharecg.com/v/91888/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/SY-200-Morphs-for-Genesis-8-Head-and-Body

I've gotten a lot of use out of them you can come up with all kinds of combinations.

Hi PaganArtist, thanks for the link. Sickle Yield does some fine work and this is a very generous free package. I'm sure some of these morphs will be useful. As to the ribs, there is the ribcage morph which emphasises the lower edge of the ribcage and the FBM Skinny which creates a anorexic/zombie like figure. At low values the Skinny morph does add someribs especially to the front but not really at the sides.

I'm sure that SY would agree that the kind of fine detail shown in the pictures above is not possible in Genesis 8 without using the DAZ3d HD technology which is reserved for DAZ PAs, and specifically selling at the DAZ Store. Genesis 8 simply does not have enough polygons in this region to make those kind of realistic morphs on the Base mesh.

I'm sure one of the Artists here must be able to make a product like this.

• I'm sure one of the Artists here must be able to make a product like this.

No doubt someone could, but how likely is it to sell well enough to justify the time investment?

I'm sure one of the Artists here must be able to make a product like this.

No doubt someone could, but how likely is it to sell well enough to justify the time investment?

I don't know. In fact no one knows, and no one will know until someone does make the morph(s). This only requires a morph, no rigging, no texture, nothing fancy; so, for a skilled PA (such as yourself, for example wink ), surely not more than a mornings work. 

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631

Hi PaganArtist, thanks for the link. Sickle Yield does some fine work and this is a very generous free package. I'm sure some of these morphs will be useful. As to the ribs, there is the ribcage morph which emphasises the lower edge of the ribcage and the FBM Skinny which creates a anorexic/zombie like figure. At low values the Skinny morph does add someribs especially to the front but not really at the sides.

I'm sure that SY would agree that the kind of fine detail shown in the pictures above is not possible in Genesis 8 without using the DAZ3d HD technology which is reserved for DAZ PAs, and specifically selling at the DAZ Store. Genesis 8 simply does not have enough polygons in this region to make those kind of realistic morphs on the Base mesh.

Yep.  The free morphs are the best I could do at a legal poly count (can't release HD morphs for free, it's in all our contracts), but you would really need an HD morph.  I thought maybe there was something for it in Zev0's belly control morphs, but it looks like there's not.  I don't know if enough people would buy a "torso sculpt" pack for Daz to take it, but it might be worth a try.  Although it will take longer than a morning, lol.  Daz3d has too much overhead to sell a product that has only one or two partial-body morphs in it, so it's going to need 25-50 probably to get accepted.  I'll add it to the list to at least attempt after my current magic pack.

• Hi PaganArtist, thanks for the link. Sickle Yield does some fine work and this is a very generous free package. I'm sure some of these morphs will be useful. As to the ribs, there is the ribcage morph which emphasises the lower edge of the ribcage and the FBM Skinny which creates a anorexic/zombie like figure. At low values the Skinny morph does add someribs especially to the front but not really at the sides.

Yep.  The free morphs are the best I could do at a legal poly count (can't release HD morphs for free, it's in all our contracts), but you would really need an HD morph.  I thought maybe there was something for it in Zev0's belly control morphs, but it looks like there's not.  I don't know if enough people would buy a "torso sculpt" pack for Daz to take it, but it might be worth a try.  Although it will take longer than a morning, lol.  Daz3d has too much overhead to sell a product that has only one or two partial-body morphs in it, so it's going to need 25-50 probably to get accepted.  I'll add it to the list to at least attempt after my current magic pack.

Sounds good to me.

Hi SickleYield, thanks for the reply. I did download your 200 free morphs for the base mesh, thank you very much, I'm sure they will come in useful.

It would be great to have someone with your expertise working on this. I noticed that there are over 350 views of this thread (and I doubt that its due to our witty repartee), so there must be some interest. If there were 25 to 50 torso morphs, then I feel sure the interest would be greater.

Hi where are the free SickleYield  morphs , i can't seem to find them---thanks

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Hi where are the free SickleYield  morphs , i can't seem to find them---thanks

https://www.sharecg.com/v/91888/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/SY-200-Morphs-for-Genesis-8-Head-and-Body

Thanks Dragonfly_2004, and thank you SickleYield for the free morphs

I would also like to see a skinny rib morph product for G3F as well, i can't seem to find one anywhere.

• mavixtiousmavixtious Posts: 5
    edited August 2022

This is an old thread but I created a torso texture normal map which you can find here https://we.tl/t-w1xsU896ch or use the attachment below. You see, you can't create a morph showing individual ribs because the base body mesh is of low resolution, you can't add that much detail to it. Now, I use blender and I sculpted a high res version of the G8F body (using multiresolution modifier for those interested) and then I baked the normal map for the torso. It's only for the ribs, so it's best if you go to photoshop and combine it with any other torso normal map by using "overlay" as a blending mode. If someone knows how to create an HD addon body morph, like some daz models have, out of my sculpt, then I can maybe share my blend file. Oh and it's best if you use the "thin" body morph. Cheers.

SkinnyRibs_normal.png
    4096 x 4096 - 3M
    Post edited by mavixtious on