This just in - New Carrara 8.5 Training by Phil Wilkes!

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Yes, I am the author of the Advanced Carrara title too. You can see a breakdown of content here:
    http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/advanced_carrara_techniques.html

It is presented assuming that you know the stuff from the first title and is structured around a number of projects which I hope relate to things that people might want to do in Carrara. So in a way, the first title takes you through all the tools and how they work, the second title focuses on how you put those together into complete projects to turn your imaginings into images and animations. There is also more modelling in the Advanced Carrara title.

I hope that helps.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    The answers that I have indicate that a special upgrade product will be created shortly, so if you already have Learning Carrara 8, I recommend holding fire for a few days and I hope that the upgrade path will become apparent.

Thank you for your patience.

I hope they do. I looked through my product library and I see where I bought the 7. I have the upgrade to the 8 training but can't find it in my library. Do you remember about when Daz started selling the 8, because when I look at the 8 training it doesn't show purchased even though I bought the upgrade at that time. I don't recall what the title would be and of course there is no search except manual through previous orders. I would love to pick up the new chapter on 8.5

I’m seeing this at 60% off in the store. Went in my cart at $39.98

Showing at $49.95 for me.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

In the Library here, I typed "advanced carrara" and it went straight to it.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:

anikad said:
    I’m seeing this at 60% off in the store. Went in my cart at $39.98

Showing at $49.95 for me.

Yes, it's back to showing 49.95 for me again. The store is acting very strangely.

edited December 1969

I think the price difference relates to the current promotion which gives an extra PC discount on the featured items for the first 24 hours after their launch.

Milo - Carrara 8 was launched in May 2010, so the training would have been updated to C8 and available through DAZ later in 2010.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I think the price difference relates to the current promotion which gives an extra PC discount on the featured items for the first 24 hours after their launch..

But the first 18 of the 24 hours there was no "Add to Cart" button here...
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

$40 - now I smile :-)

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Still 50 bucks here - and yes - I am PA

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited November 2013

argus1000 said:
    PhilW said:
    If you are an existing owner of Learning Carrara 8, they are doing an upgrade for $35 instead of the full price, you can contact Infinite Skills customer service here
    https://www.infiniteskills.com/contact-us.html
    and provide details of your original purchase, they will then send them the download codes for the new version.

How can we provide details of our original purchase? PayPal only keep transactions records for three months.

I can go back a couple of years on my Paypal acct view. Don't you have the little calendar icons at the top of the current history activity list that lets you choose a time range?

SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited November 2013

PhilW said:
    The answers that I have indicate that a special upgrade product will be created shortly, so if you already have Learning Carrara 8, I recommend holding fire for a few days and I hope that the upgrade path will become apparent.

Thank you for your patience.

I have the Learning Carrara 8 and if I choose the 8.5 one, it comes up as $49.98 and I'm a PC member as well, even when it gets to the cart.

Before I joined PC I paid $59.97 for LC 8.

So you think they will put an upgrade price up there fairly soon? I'm definitely happy to pay a reasonable charge to get the new info which I really want as your tuts are at just the right pace and I can navigate about the contents and go back to things or skip things I'm not ready for yet....and to hear your voice!

:) :) :) xx SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Don't you have the little calendar icons at the top of the current history activity list that lets you choose a time range?SileneUK

Yes, now I see it. I just didn't look patiently enough the first time. Thanks.

• JasonSWrenchJasonSWrench Posts: 379
    edited December 1969

Help!

OK, so I'm getting a little frustrated with Learning 8.5. I previously owned 8.0 and I just keep getting stumped in a few areas dealing with the differences (that are not addressed in the new version). For example, in Learning 8.5 in Lesson 3 you can clearly tell it's the old version because there is NO discussion of the differences between the content tab and the smart content tab within 8.5. The new tab makes following some of the instructions problematic because trying to navigate both tabs is a bit of a mystery at times because things from one tab don't always play nice with things from the other tab. I can completely understand reusing and re-purposing content, but these are differences that do exist and for those of us who are truly new to Carrara, it's just getting frustrating.

What other changes between 8.0 and 8.5 should I be aware of? Maybe Infinite Skills needs a better initial video examining the differences between what is seen on the screen and what is actually seen within the software.

Jason

edited December 1969

Help!

OK, so I'm getting a little frustrated with Learning 8.5. I previously owned 8.0 and I just keep getting stumped in a few areas dealing with the differences (that are not addressed in the new version). For example, in Learning 8.5 in Lesson 3 you can clearly tell it's the old version because there is NO discussion of the differences between the content tab and the smart content tab within 8.5. The new tab makes following some of the instructions problematic because trying to navigate both tabs is a bit of a mystery at times because things from one tab don't always play nice with things from the other tab. I can completely understand reusing and re-purposing content, but these are differences that do exist and for those of us who are truly new to Carrara, it's just getting frustrating.

What other changes between 8.0 and 8.5 should I be aware of? Maybe Infinite Skills needs a better initial video examining the differences between what is seen on the screen and what is actually seen within the software.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Sorry for the confusion. The differences and new stuff are covered in the extra "8.5" chapter so you could have a look there and see if that helps. There is no need to stick rigidly in sequence, particularly for that. We decided overall that there was minimal changes to the interface (although I accept there are some) and so all of the existing material is still valid, or can be adapted with minimum inconvenience. I hope you can find the guidance you need in the 8.5 chapters.

• SpacelandSpaceland Posts: 132
    edited November 2013

Hi Phil,

Just to tell you that i bought both Training for Carrara, the 8.5 and the Advanced.

I like what i saw in the free videos

Thanks

Post edited by Spaceland on
    edited December 1969

Spaceland said:
    Hi Phil,

Just to tell you that i bought both Training for Carrara, the 8.5 and the Advanced.

Thanks

Best TV in town!
    You'll love it!
  • SBerrySBerry Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

? closed caption ? sub title ? scrolling text ?

Not a biggie, I just thought I'd ask.

And too, prolly noone would need it but for me and very few others.

...would just make it easier, else you'd have to lipread....

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

PhilW, thanks for your reply regarding the Advanced Carrara course, and the link. It sounds really good. I'm deciding whether to get it via Daz or sign up with Infinite skills monthly to learn a bunch or other thing as well - seems to be a cornucopia of learning opportunities there as you did mention in relation to IPad users (I don't have Ipad by still seems a good opportunity perhaps).

All the best

edited December 1969

SBerry said:

I'll pass this suggestion on to Infinite Skills.

edited December 1969

Spaceland said:
    Hi Phil,

Thanks

Great - and thank YOU! I hope you get a lot out of them.

• SBerrySBerry Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    SBerry said:

I'll pass this suggestion on to Infinite Skills.

Thank you.
    I got the prev. Carrara toot. It just takes me a little bit longer to work thru, not being able to hear what's said.

Again, Thank you

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Is Infinite Skills US based? If so, there may be grants available through the government and the Americans With Disabilities Act. Might be something to suggest they look at if cost is a factor, Phil. That is if any are available in these times of austerity. Then again, the law was written long before the current batch of yahoos were elected. ;-)

edited December 1969

Is Infinite Skills US based? If so, there may be grants available through the government and the Americans With Disabilities Act. Might be something to suggest they look at if cost is a factor, Phil. That is if any are available in these times of austerity. Then again, the law was written long before the current batch of yahoos were elected. ;-)

Registered in Canada. I can confirm I have passed on the comments.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Registered in Canada. I can confirm I have passed on the comments.

Yes. InfiniteSkills directly gave me the whole tut for $35 when I told them I had previously bought the Carrara 8 version. They didn't even ask for a proof of purchase. Maybe they checked. Maybe they didn't. OTOH, me being a Canadian, they made sure I paid the tax on it . >:(

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,318
    edited December 1969

Hi, I have bought:
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/carrara-8-5-tutorial-video-11-5-hours-long-instant-digital-download
    How does it works with InfiniteSkills site. Can one access purchased curses from Daz3D on http://www.infiniteskills.com/download
    anytime, or is it limited in time or in some other way?

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Hi, I have bought:
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/carrara-8-5-tutorial-video-11-5-hours-long-instant-digital-download
    How does it works with InfiniteSkills site. Can one access purchased curses from Daz3D on http://www.infiniteskills.com/download
    anytime, or is it limited in time or in some other way?

Yes, get your serial number from DAZ and then go to http://www.infiniteskills.com/download to download your content. There is no time limit, you could wait years before doing this (although I don't actually recommend that!!)

• SpacelandSpaceland Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

InfiniteSkills gives you 3 chance to download each file (or disk), after the 3 x chance, is you need to download again you need to contact them to have the download reset.

You serial number will be in the your daz account with all the other serial numbers for your software.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,318
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the explanation, PhilW and Spaceland. Off to downloading the files, then.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

has it been confirmed that there is a discount for those who already purchased the training for C8 and only need the additional chapter for using Genesis in C8? I haven't seen anything posted as an addon

edited December 1969

If you already have the version for Carrara 8, you can now buy just the 8.5 updates here:

http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/carrara-8-5-new-features.html

I am trying to confirm if this will be available on the Daz Store - I hope so but am awaiting an email response to confirm.

edited December 1969

Wow... that's cool!