This just in - New Carrara 8.5 Training by Phil Wilkes!

13»

Comments

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

When I download this product, there are 6 'disks'. Do I have to use the player packaged in each disk to play the lessons on that disk, or is there a way to put them all in one folder so I can use ONE instance of the player to go through all the lessons?
    Gus

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

I can't think of any reason that it would not work, but can't say categorically with 100% certainty that it will. Can I suggest you try copying a few chapters from one of the other "disks" to your "master" disk and just try it, hopefully this will work, in which case you should be OK to consolidate the whole pack.

edited December 1969

I tried that and it didn't work. Each of the disks ha an 'xml' file which seems to be for the menu. If I knew more of html programming I could probably cut and paste them together to get it to work. You may wish to suggest that option to Infinite Skills.
    This is only a petty annoyance so don't get me wrong, I really like your tutorial! I'm still unsure about what to do about the working files as a separate download, though. I'm kind of wondering if I should just put a copy of them all in each or the 'Working Files' directories in each disk directory, or just find them with Carrara.
    Gus

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

For the working files, I just added them to My Browser in one of the My Presets category - so I can just open them in Carrara through the browser.

• SpacelandSpaceland Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

That is a nice one Dartanbeck, i have to do this.

By the way Phil, they are great video, i was looking at the ones for modeling, i really like what you are showing and all the input you can give.

So greate video and i am happy to have bought them, great work.

Regards

edited November 2013

Gusf1 said:
    I tried that and it didn't work. Each of the disks ha an 'xml' file which seems to be for the menu. If I knew more of html programming I could probably cut and paste them together to get it to work. You may wish to suggest that option to Infinite Skills.
    This is only a petty annoyance so don't get me wrong, I really like your tutorial! I'm still unsure about what to do about the working files as a separate download, though. I'm kind of wondering if I should just put a copy of them all in each or the 'Working Files' directories in each disk directory, or just find them with Carrara.
    Gus

Answer back from Infinite Skills: "It can be done but the XML file needs to be edited too and the movies need to be placed in the correct folder. We don't give instructions on it since it depends on the individuals ability to work with XML and document formatting".

As this is not something that I am familiar with, you may just have to live with how it is. Hopefully it does not affect your enjoyment of the actual training.

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

Spaceland said:

By the way Phil, they are great video, i was looking at the ones for modeling, i really like what you are showing and all the input you can give.

Regards

Thank you!! :-)

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Spaceland said:

Regards

Thank you!! :-)Actually, thank YOU, PhilW!
    See, here's the thing. There are tutorials around the web similarly priced. I see people here and there scoff at spending the hundy. I can understand that - after seeing some of my friends getting burnt by some that are up there in price that really aren't that good. Yours really comes from the heart - and packs enormous value, exactly in the topic promised. So the training is totally worth it on its own -hands down, any day. The re-watchable value is there, too. Great stuff. But then there's the working files. I surely didn't buy it for the those, but I see now how I certainly could have. Great stuff, my friend!

• rjoynerrjoyner Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've been a Daz user for years and I have made a post here and there through out the years.(it Doesn't show) I just enjoy reading the posts in these forums and own Carrara, Studio, Bryce, Hexagon, etc. and I haven't used them as much as I use to.( Only because I'm learning other software) I know how to use all my Daz software but my personal favorite is Carrara. I bought Carrara 8 training Bundle because I wanted to learn more and remind myself how good Carrara can be.(Also I will never claim to know everything about any software) and I was inspired by PhilW teaching and Dartenbeck's love for Carrara. I have dusted off my Carrara 8 and started using it again. All I want to say is thank you, keep up the good work to PhilW and Dartenbeck and to all the users who love Carrara! (Now I'll go back to my hole in the wall)

edited December 1969

Answer back from Infinite Skills: “It can be done but the XML file needs to be edited too and the movies need to be placed in the correct folder. We don’t give instructions on it since it depends on the individuals ability to work with XML and document formatting”.

As this is not something that I am familiar with, you may just have to live with how it is. Hopefully it does not affect your enjoyment of the actual training.

Not at all! If it really bothers me, I'll just try editing the XML file. It looks like a fairly simple system. I also agree with Dartanbeck.
    Gus

edited December 1969

rjoy said:
    I've been a Daz user for years and I have made a post here and there through out the years.(it Doesn't show) I just enjoy reading the posts in these forums and own Carrara, Studio, Bryce, Hexagon, etc. and I haven't used them as much as I use to.( Only because I'm learning other software) I know how to use all my Daz software but my personal favorite is Carrara. I bought Carrara 8 training Bundle because I wanted to learn more and remind myself how good Carrara can be.(Also I will never claim to know everything about any software) and I was inspired by PhilW teaching and Dartenbeck's love for Carrara. I have dusted off my Carrara 8 and started using it again. All I want to say is thank you, keep up the good work to PhilW and Dartenbeck and to all the users who love Carrara! (Now I'll go back to my hole in the wall)
    Cool! I'll keep writing my enthusiastic stuff then!
    Sometimes I wonder... ;)
    Yeah... I sure do love Carrara! The endless possibilities just keep on getting more and more as I learn new things I can do with it!
    I agree, PhilW has such a great method of teaching. Makes me want to do everything!

I have to go back and read about the whole XML thing. I am xml illiterate, so it goes right over my head. Just in case, if it has to do with the player, I don't use that. I've gone into the data folder, where all of the movie files are, and made playlists for each chapter for use in Media Player on one of my machines, and Media Player Classic on another. Works great! Then I just house those playlist shortcuts in my videos folder :)

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

have we heard anything from daz allowing the purchase of the 8.5 portion only like the one from infinite http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/carrara-8-5-new-features.html

I bought 7 then the 8 update and would love to get the 8.5 (I found the serial for the 7 and 8 purchase). Should I just order the update from infinity skills directly (I guess if you heard anything from daz or not)

edited November 2013

I have been assured that it will be available through the DAZ store, but I'm not quite sure of the timing, sorry. So it depends on how urgently you want it as both will be an option. Thanks for your support, whichever way you go!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    have we heard anything from daz allowing the purchase of the 8.5 portion only like the one from infinite http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/carrara-8-5-new-features.html

I bought 7 then the 8 update and would love to get the 8.5 (I found the serial for the 7 and 8 purchase). Should I just order the update from infinity skills directly (I guess if you heard anything from daz or not)

you want to wait - trust me you want to wait
    you might be better off to get the next update when Carrara 9 comes out next year .

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Isn't this the same DVD as the 8.0? The only difference is that there has been added a final chapter?
    I doubt it. We'll ask Phil. I'm gonna buy it anyways ;)

It is sorely tempting. I think $100 may be a bit steep if most of it is the original (and totally awesome) 8.0 training that I already own. I'd love to see a complete breakdown of the new stuff rather than just that tiny little tree-view on the Infinite Skills page.

I don't blame Phil for going back to Infinite Skills either - but I must confess, I am not impressed with their viewing tool. It is far better if you explore the directory structure to find the movie files themselves and then watch them in your preferred viewer.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    If you are an existing owner of Learning Carrara 8, they are doing an upgrade for $35 instead of the full price, you can contact Infinite Skills customer service here https://www.infiniteskills.com/contact-us.html

WOOT! Thank-you Phil! I knew I should have read this thread before responding!

Alright...I definitely will buy C8.5 and the upgrade training immediately after paying off my new flooring and renovations. I think I get a raise next month...maybe that will help?

:-) Can't wait!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Thank you all for the very kind comments - especially Lauren, you've made my day! I am reminded of when Christopher Ecclestone took over as Dr Who and Rose asked "If you're an alien, how come you've got a Northern accent?". To which his reply was "Many planets have a North!".

Haha! Bravo!

Seriously though; a good speaking voice is a must for things like this. The PhilW equivalent in the LightWave world is probably Dan Ablan; his video training for LW is excellent and a big part of it is his voice.

edited December 1969

I've just realised that I made a critical typo in a previous post! The upgrade price from Infinite Skills for existing owners is $25 (not $35 as I seem to have typed before!) - sorry for my mistake, but it is definitely $25 (well, $24.95 actually!).

edited December 1969

Gusf1 said:
    When I download this product, there are 6 'disks'. Do I have to use the player packaged in each disk to play the lessons on that disk, or is there a way to put them all in one folder so I can use ONE instance of the player to go through all the lessons?

Nope, you can use any player that you like...but it is not obvious on the surface. The one from Infinite Skills is rather annoying...but that's not Phil's fault.

For example, here is my complete path to the training videos: J:\3D\PhilW Training\Advanced_Carrara_Techniques_Disk_3\Advanced Carrara Techniques - Disk 3\data\movies

In the "movies" folder, you will find MP4 files. They are not intuitively named (0601, 0602, 0603, etc) but you can view them in any other media player that supports MP4.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Answer back from Infinite Skills: "It can be done but the XML file needs to be edited too and the movies need to be placed in the correct folder. We don't give instructions on it since it depends on the individuals ability to work with XML and document formatting".

An XML file is just text...any editor will do. But the formatting does matter and can render (hahahah..."render"...get it?) the file unusable. Be sure to make a backup copy of it, just in case.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited November 2013

bigh said:

you might be better off to get the next update when Carrara 9 comes out next year .

Why is that... I would want the 8.5 and then the 9 wouldn't I?

Post edited by Milo on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    [quote author="bigh" date="1383996648"

I said all I can .
    the mods will delete any thing else .

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited November 2013

bigh said:
    -_Milo_- said:
    [quote author="bigh" date="1383996648"

I said all I can .
    the mods will delete any thing else .

Insert sinister music: Da-da-dummmmmmmm! ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Insert sinister music: Da-da-dummmmmmmm! ;-)

Aaaaaaand, cue lightning bolt!