This just in - New Carrara 8.5 Training by Phil Wilkes!

DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hey PhilW, is Infinite Skills going to sell this at DAZ, too?

Here's the new course:
Learning Carrara 8.5

Comments

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited December 1969
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't keep up with all the Carrara news!
    LOL

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Isn't this the same DVD as the 8.0? The only difference is that there has been added a final chapter?

Anyway, I love his DVDs. He teaches in a very clear way.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I can't keep up with all the Carrara news!
    LOLI know! But it sure is fun to try!
    Isn't this the same DVD as the 8.0? The only difference is that there has been added a final chapter?
    I doubt it. We'll ask Phil. I'm gonna buy it anyways ;)

Anyway, I love his DVDs. He teaches in a very clear way.Yeah... me too. And it's really entertaining, too! After I bought my first one, I was thrilled with the stuff I learned. I let it soak in as I ran my routes through Carrara. Months later I started watching it again. Now I watch a few episodes on a regular basis. Even though I he did teach me well the first time through, I still like to watch my Carrara TV.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Is the Advanced DVD going to get updated too? If so I'll just wait and get both as they most likely wait be offered in a bundle deal.

I'm also wondering if any tutorials are still going to be do able to a total beginner, given that DAZ changed up what content Carrara comes with. . I was thinking of getting the basic one as a Christmas gift for a friend that just got into 3D and jut bought Carrara and he just has Genesis & Genesis 2 stuff.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

If you have an Ipad, you can get the entire Infinite Skills library of tutorials for a lower monthly fee. You don't get the working files, though. Just this course would be many months of the entire library. It does appear that this course is primarily the original course with one additional chapter, but because I have the Ipad subscription, I automatically get it.

In his tutorials, PhilW doesn't just list tools and menus. He demonstrates projects. His explanation of shader trees is fantastic. If you prefer owning the course outright, do it. If prefer to get the monthly Ipad app, do it.

PhilW's tutorials are easily the best purchases I have ever made related to 3D art.

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I doubt it. We'll ask Phil. I'm gonna buy it anyways ;)

You guys shouldn't bug PhilW until after Saturday! He's got a very important and challenging task to pick an "Honorable Mention" for this month's challenge! ;)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    If you have an Ipad, you can get the entire Infinite Skills library of tutorials for a lower monthly fee. You don't get the working files, though. Just this course would be many months of the entire library. It does appear that this course is primarily the original course with one additional chapter, but because I have the Ipad subscription, I automatically get it.

In his tutorials, PhilW doesn't just list tools and menus. He demonstrates projects. His explanation of shader trees is fantastic. If you prefer owning the course outright, do it. If prefer to get the monthly Ipad app, do it.

PhilW's tutorials are easily the best purchases I have ever made related to 3D art.

They have the Carrara series for really cheap for Android as well. Again, no working files. I love those working files, though. They're like complete products in their own right - and you get so many of them!
    Still... it makes it so that you can bring PhilW with you on your phone! :)
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

They have the Carrara series for really cheap for Android as well. Again, no working files. I love those working files, though. They're like complete products in their own right - and you get so many of them!
    Still... it makes it so that you can bring PhilW with you on your phone! :)

I could listen to his lovely voice all day... there's something honest and reassuring about a northern accent.

:) SileneUK

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Phew - where to start!

Dart - you are quick off the mark! Even for a man who lives, breathes and eats Carrara!

Yes this is basically the 8.0 training with an added chapter to cover the 8.5 additions, there didn't seem to be a lot of reason to re-record the existing training as it is still valid, the interface (largely) looks the same, etc.

If you are an existing owner of Learning Carrara 8, they are doing an upgrade for $35 instead of the full price, you can contact Infinite Skills customer service here
    https://www.infiniteskills.com/contact-us.html

and provide details of your original purchase, they will then send them the download codes for the new version.

It will be available in the DAZ store very shortly, I am not 100% sure about upgrades but I believe there should be a similar upgrade offer.

There are no plans to upgrade the Advanced Carrara training at this point.

The Learning Carrara 8.5 is definitely suitable for 3D beginners, and also people who have tried DS or Poser and have migrated to Carrara, as many do. And Jay, as 8.5 includes he ability to work with Genesis, this will be ideal for your friend.

Thank you all for the very kind comments - especially Lauren, you've made my day! I am reminded of when Christopher Ecclestone took over as Dr Who and Rose asked "If you're an alien, how come you've got a Northern accent?". To which his reply was "Many planets have a North!".

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

I could listen to his lovely voice all day... there's something honest and reassuring about a northern accent.

Northern??? You mean he's a YANKEE??? ;)

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Anyway, I love his DVDs. He teaches in a very clear way.

The lesson on NLA ( a free one to view on Infinite Skills ) is the same as one I have from the first set of tutorials by Phil so I think it needs clarifying. All his tutorials are great and if this IS a new set I look forward to getting them.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited October 2013

PhilW said:

Thank you all for the very kind comments - especially Lauren, you've made my day! I am reminded of when Christopher Ecclestone took over as Dr Who and Rose asked "If you're an alien, how come you've got a Northern accent?". To which his reply was "Many planets have a North!".

Just being honest, your northern ENGLAND (Yorkshire?) voice is very good for narrating. I watch a lot of those kinds of programmes and they need a voice like yours. As good or better than Max Beesley I think!

Ooooerrrr..... I live down southwest in Bristol (as a NON native). For those who aren't from the UK the local accent, Bristolian/West Country is sort of like Sam or Pippin? the Hobbit in LOTR (though some say it's more Irish). Or, have a listen to the Wurzels. This is their version of Ruby.

They have been around for decades and are more well known for Combine Harvester (spoof of Melanie's "Brand New Key")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLE3IjTRb8

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

arr gods own county Phil...the 3rd highest tourist spot in the world.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

$100 - I am laughing >:-(

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    If you are an existing owner of Learning Carrara 8, they are doing an upgrade for $35 instead of the full price, you can contact Infinite Skills customer service here
    https://www.infiniteskills.com/contact-us.html
    and provide details of your original purchase, they will then send them the download codes for the new version.

How can we provide details of our original purchase? PayPal only keep transactions records for three months.

edited October 2013

Just to be clear, the new 8.5 version is the same as the version for Carrara 8 but with an extra chapter (around an extra hour's worth) on the 8.5 features.

It should be available very shortly on the DAZ Store and if you purchased a previous copy from DAZ, I have asked that a discount be automatically applied.

On the geographical discussion, yes I live in Yorkshire but I am not a native (I was born in Nottinghamshire and lived in over a dozen places as I was growing up!). Next year Yorkshire hosts the start of the Tour de France ( :ohh: go figure!), the third largest global sporting event after the Olympics and the (football/soccer) World Cup, so it will really be receiving some attention!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Phil, I am from Mansfield which is 30 minutes drive to Nottingham. It's a beautiful part of England.

edited December 1969

Phil, I am from Mansfield which is 30 minutes drive to Nottingham. It's a beautiful part of England.

Yes, I know Mansfield, I still have relations there!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I hear the Sheriff in those parts is a real tool! My friend Robin told me. ;-)
    edited December 1969

I hear the Sheriff in those parts is a real tool! My friend Robin told me. ;-)

Don't believe everything he says, he's a hood!

edited December 1969

Learning Carrara 8.5 is now available on the DAZ Store with a 50% off launch offer:
    http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-5-tutorial-video-11-5-hours-long-instant-digital-download?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Save+50%+on+Carrara+8.5+Tutorials!&utm_content=Get+40%+Off+Carrara+Items+&+30%+Off+PC+Memberships!&utm;_campaign=(11/01/13)+Get+40%+Off+Carrara+Items+&+30%+Off+PC+Memberships!

Also a special 40% sale on several Carrara artists - HowieFarkes, Dartanbeck, Fenric and DimensionTheory as well as my own PhilW store and the Advanced Carrara training from Infinite Skills - Fill you botts!!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Just to be clear, the new 8.5 version is the same as the version for Carrara 8 but with an extra chapter (around an extra hour's worth) on the 8.5 features.

It should be available very shortly on the DAZ Store and if you purchased a previous copy from DAZ, I have asked that a discount be automatically applied.

On the geographical discussion, yes I live in Yorkshire but I am not a native (I was born in Nottinghamshire and lived in over a dozen places as I was growing up!). Next year Yorkshire hosts the start of the Tour de France ( :ohh: go figure!), the third largest global sporting event after the Olympics and the (football/soccer) World Cup, so it will really be receiving some attention!

Will there be a discount applied through the store beyond the 50% discount for those that have already bought the original videos, and only need the additional info that was added? Even 49.98 is alot to pay for just the additional chapter on genesis.

edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    PhilW said:

Will there be a discount applied through the store beyond the 50% discount for those that have already bought the original videos, and only need the additional info that was added? Even 49.98 is alot to pay for just the additional chapter on genesis.

I totally agree, and a special price for existing users was discussed but I'm not sure if it will be automatically applied - I'll check with DAZ and Infinite Skills and let you know when I have a definitive answer.

edited December 1969

The answers that I have indicate that a special upgrade product will be created shortly, so if you already have Learning Carrara 8, I recommend holding fire for a few days and I hope that the upgrade path will become apparent.

Thank you for your patience.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    The answers that I have indicate that a special upgrade product will be created shortly, so if you already have Learning Carrara 8, I recommend holding fire for a few days and I hope that the upgrade path will become apparent.

Thank you for your patience.

Ok thanks for the info altho the training video is available for a powerpoint today only, I wonder if the upgrade will apply also for a point in the next few days, not that I need any more points, but its always a bonus. An upgrade discount on the video would be a better bonus for me. I haven't even installed C8.5 yet as had to do a major overhaul on my content, plus been shopping sales for 2 months.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I'm seeing this at 60% off in the store. Went in my cart at $39.98

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

(commercial)

If anyone is considering the Infinite Skills Ipad app, you would get both of PhilW's courses, plus a whole lot more, for $9.99 per month.

(copied from website)

Video Training Courses from Infinite Skills
    By Infinite Skills Inc.
    Open iTunes to buy and download apps.

Subscription Details:

Monthly Subscription: $9.99/month

This video training app from Infinite Skills gives you instant access to training for more than 170 courses, from Microsoft Word, and Excel to Photoshop, jQuery Programming, AutoCAD, Revit, Maya, Motion, Final Cut Pro and much much more. New courses are added weekly. You can view 10-15 full quality videos for EACH COURSE absolutely free, and subscribe to access ALL of the training courses for one low monthly fee

• Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
    • Your subscription automatically renews every month unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
    • Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period, and the cost of the renewal will be provided.
    • Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the your iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
    • No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
    • Privacy Policy can be viewed at http://www.infiniteskills.com/privacy-policy.html

edited December 1969

anikad said:
    I'm seeing this at 60% off in the store. Went in my cart at $39.98

I think being a PC member adds another 10% off!

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Can folks give their comments regarding the Advanced Carrara Techniques Course? Is this also by PhilW, and does it take one a lot further into the gnarly workings of Carrara and how to get even more efficient and amazing animations, fur, lighting and textures (shaders)? (This package doesnt seem to be described at InfinitSkills).

Would this be a great training set to get to really make progress after one has the general basics? (having already downloaded almost every Carrara video to be found free on the internet and worked with other DAZ 3D software (studio, Bryce,Hexagon)