Smoothing to selection possible?

I have one part of a project that needs smoothing while one part doesn't. Is there a way to add smoothing just to a selection. Iv'e tried by just selecting and adding smoothing but the entire model gets smoothed. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

Hi Samanthie,

Do you mean smoothing as in subdivision or shading?

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

In the Smoothing Tool you can define hard edges. Smoothing with the Soften Brush will not affect hidden faces.

• SamanthieSamanthie Posts: 308
    edited March 2019
    cdordoni said:

Hi Samanthie,

Hi cdordoni it's subdivision. I have created a model of a light bulb with a base and it is all one unit. The bulb is the part I want to make smoother. I guess I could cut it and paste it back and leave them as two separate parts. 

Post edited by Samanthie on
    Ascania said:

In the Smoothing Tool you can define hard edges. Smoothing with the Soften Brush will not affect hidden faces.

Hi Ascania, I didn't know that! It's late so I'll have to play around with it tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks for the tip! :)

• Samanthie said:

I have created a model of a light bulb with a base and it is all one unit. The bulb is the part I want to make smoother. I guess I could cut it and paste it back and leave them as two separate parts. 

Best practice is to break objects up into their separate parts when modeling.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    Samanthie said:
    cdordoni said:

Hi Samanthie,

Hi cdordoni it's subdivision. I have created a model of a light bulb with a base and it is all one unit. The bulb is the part I want to make smoother. I guess I could cut it and paste it back and leave them as two separate parts. 

You don't have to cut and paste. Select all the faces for either the base or the bulb, then use the Extract command to separate those faces from the rest of the object. This will create a new FormXX object in your scene window.

JonnyRay said:
    Samanthie said:
    cdordoni said:

Hi Samanthie,

You don't have to cut and paste. Select all the faces for either the base or the bulb, then use the Extract command to separate those faces from the rest of the object. This will create a new FormXX object in your scene window.

Thank you JonnyRay. I have never used the Extract command nice to learn something new.

Samanthie said:

I have created a model of a light bulb with a base and it is all one unit. The bulb is the part I want to make smoother. I guess I could cut it and paste it back and leave them as two separate parts. 

Best practice is to break objects up into their separate parts when modeling.

Thank you Shawn. Trying to keep things tidy. :)

Samanthie said:
    JonnyRay said:
    Samanthie said:
    cdordoni said:

Hi Samanthie,

Thank you JonnyRay. I have never used the Extract command nice to learn something new.

Oops yes I have used the extract command many times but not to make a new form, if I follow what you are saying.