New Users Contest *November 2013* ►►► WIP THREAD ◄◄◄

124»

Comments

• firefly43firefly43 Posts: 0
    edited November 2013

As we may or may not know I am not very good at explaining stuff......That said.....What I want to know is how the computer views and separates this example into clothing....The dragon is a bust way too hard for a first time deal.... maybe later ...I want to make a new clothing set here for this... is it going to be really hard???? Have I picked out something hard again??? Thanks Trish

On the first page Chohole gave us the link to SnowSultan's Seam guide templates. they are really easy to follow, much easier then the pic you have above (for me at least).

I'm using the MFD and building my own design, trying to do the bump and other maps. Using all the instructions from Chohole and Jadarail and hoping my feeble little mind absorbed the concept and I'm making those right.

Quite honestly, I have no clue if I am doing it right, and if I'm not then I'm having a blast doing it wrong... LOL.

Because "I know nothing" (ha ha add a thick German accent and remember Sargent Shultz from the sitcom Hogan's Hero's) the first piece has taken me most of this month and I am not completely finished with it. Had to go back a tweak several times because of mistakes and still tweaking grrrrr. But once I'm done with it I am hoping the rest will move along more smoothly.

Don't give up ... you know more then I do and I know you will do great with whatever you choose. Just have fun with it! I figure if I don't make it before the end of the month, the learning experience alone has been worth the work.

Post edited by firefly43 on
  • SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

So my inspiration is the Color Vibe races (though there are several other ones out there that do the same thing).

I am using the K4 Basic wear tshirt and shorts, and editing a genesis skin to give the colorful effect of the paint.

What do you think?

I am not sure that the shirt and shorts match well enough... I am over all pleased with the skin I think.

Amy

3D_Vibe01.jpg
    1000 x 1092 - 863K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Ok this is my stab at it......let me know what you think...trying to re-dress Albert...not at allsure if I am doing it right??? Trish

new_clothes.jpg
    338 x 391 - 50K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh he looks good in his new togs. Bacon will be wanting a new collar to match. LOL

edited November 2013

Good...Thanks wasn't sure I was doing this right....ok one other quick maybe not so quick question the way I got it to show up was to go into my computer...ect..and pull the original texture out so this new one would appear on him...how can I get Studio to see this as an additional texture that I can choose....? Thanks in advance Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Good...Thanks wasn't sure I was doing this right....ok one other quick maybe not so quick question the way I got it to show up was to go into my computer...ect..and pull the original texture out so this new one would appear on him...how can I get Studio to see this as an additional texture that I can choose....? Thanks in advance Trish

Ah now I could tell you how to do that in Poser, but you will have to wait till a DS person come along to tell you how to do it in DS.

Neil does all the DS settings on my stuff :roll: but I am not sure how busy he is, has a bit on his plate at the moment.

I am sure Someone will turn up soon.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Trish thats easy. First be sure your textures are named different than the originals, then you can leave them in the same folder with the original one. Then do as you have done and put your texture on lets say the shirt. Go to surfaces select all the shirt with your textures on it. Go to File> Save As. Material file. This will create a one click file for you, it will save into Presets>Materials. You can if you like, which I do, save the new Mat to the same folder the items own Mats are in. Just browse to it at the time you save.

edited December 1969

Jaderail: thank you so much ...Can you believe I asked you an easy question for once......LOL

edited December 1969

LOL! I'll admit I did think OH BOY what deep thing will it be this time, when I read my mail today. :cheese:

edited November 2013

LOL: your bad....no 20 pages this time...I am kinda liking giving Albert new outfits here is one for the man about town....its kind of hard to get this right because his skin is his clothes if that makes sense

albert_suit.jpg
    318 x 861 - 134K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Yes I get that fully, I have many of the TOON things myself. Enjoy is all I can say at this point.

• Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

some nice work here while I've been off tweaking....so here's the latest version...got the splotchyness on the stockings somewhat under control now. Now to work a bit more on the pitcher...unless I can convince people that floating blob is just a big ice cube :-)

NovemberWIP11.jpg
    800 x 800 - 354K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

So my inspiration is the Color Vibe races (though there are several other ones out there that do the same thing).

I am using the K4 Basic wear tshirt and shorts, and editing a genesis skin to give the colorful effect of the paint.

What do you think?

I am not sure that the shirt and shorts match well enough... I am over all pleased with the skin I think.

Amy

That's a very cool look, and personally I do think the skin and clothing match just fine. To me it doesn't look exactly like the images in your link (those have more of a splattered appearance, while yours almost looks dyed), but I'm not sure if you're trying to duplicate the Color Vibe look, or just using it for inspiration.
    edited December 1969

LOL: your bad....no 20 pages this time...I am kinda liking giving Albert new outfits here is one for the man about town....its kind of hard to get this right because his skin is his clothes if that makes sense

Nice one! Fits very well with the character.
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:
    some nice work here while I've been off tweaking....so here's the latest version...got the splotchyness on the stockings somewhat under control now. Now to work a bit more on the pitcher...unless I can convince people that floating blob is just a big ice cube :-)

This is looking great--especially the textures! Very nice work, and I think you're on the right track as far as what to concentrate on next.
    edited December 1969

Thank you Scott: hopefully when I finish playing with Albert I will have learned more about using real things..just having fun right now...Trish

edited December 1969

Thanks Scott, this month has been more challenging for me....only my stubbornness makes up for my artistic skills of a colour blind troll with no sense of depth perception....ok I'm maybe not that bad.

But its all been a ton of trial and error....gave up on using the Morphing Fantasy Dress since no matter how hard I was trying I couldn't get my lines to flow across both sides of the template nicely...I now have a greater respect for those texture artists out there....and I have picked up a few tricks this month...so all is not lost...well not until I get distracted by another squirrel.

Anyway, I found that reducing changing the colour on my texture map to a bluish grey, and darkening the opacity map on the inner wall of the pitcher went a long way, the rest is reflection and refraction....and having something behind it of course...

NovemberWIP17.jpg
    800 x 800 - 365K
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Hi, all. I posted this in the Bryce forum and chohole suggested I provide the links here as well. If you're a GIMP'er, I prepared a couple of texture tutorials: Denim & Satin. They were created in an older version of GIMP, but shouldn't be difficult at all to follow. They also use filters that are pretty much standard in other programs (PS, PSP, etc.) and could be easily converted. I also wrote a script (mini program) that automates the silk texture process: Sating Texture Script

If you need some help, shoot me a PM.

Cheers!

Art

edited December 1969

Thanks for popping in with the links to your tutorials...the satin one has me going hmmmmm....in a good way.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the tutorials, have save them for when I get to blender!! LOL ... one program at atime.

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited November 2013

I'm not sure whether I can, want or should enter this in the contest (probably not, on all three - there's too little re-texturing in focus, really). Still, I'm putting it here to get some feedback :)

Shadow Fae
    One of the more unpleasant types of faery you can encounter.

I wanted to do something creepy with a usually nice concept, so I took a faery and mutated it a bit. The only thing I'm not content with are the wings, and that might be the fault of the wings as such. They were cheapish, and are - not surprisingly - more on the low end. I might try to re-texture them when I have time, but I don't know whether it's worth the effort.

The tree texture is based on a photograph I took on a walk recently. Made it tileable in Photoshop, and created maps from it.

As to nudity, I clothed any genitals in shadows, to the point where i think it's not really noticeable whether there is some sort of lingerie there or not. If this is still too nude, please tell me so, and I'll delete it.

Shadow_Fae.jpg
    800 x 600 - 210K
    Post edited by TobiasG on
    edited December 1969

I don't know much about how to do the things you did with this picture, so I could not say if anything needs to be changed or fixed.

But ... as for the render itself I like it. I agree if those are wings you might want to make them resemble wings more. I looked at the picture before reading because I assumed you would be looking for feedback. On my first visual impression I thought it was a background dead tree.

You might also bring the fingers and face out of the shadows more, it would give it a more profound creepy appearance. Maybe the eyes more visible and glowing or cornea and eye pronounced with shadows.

I don't see anything offensive to me, and with just a bit of tweaking for dramatic effect it would be okay to me, but then my opinion counts for little considering I have no say..... LOL

I really wish my talents were as progressed as what I see others do here. Though I am working hard on mine I doubt highly I will be done before the contest end date. Building an entirely new outfit is out of my comfort zone of knowledge, but that is how we learn. I will probably still post the finished project if I do not finish before the deadline with the hopes others will tell me what I did right and wrong

edited December 1969

Tobias I don't think you are quite getting the concept of this part of the contest. The idea is to create a new texture, using a texture template and Turning out a texture which can then be applied to a model.

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

firefly: thanks!

chohole: you're right, the tree is basically using a shader, not a texture. I guess I should have posted this somewhere else - my bad, sorry.

edited December 1969

LOL ... and there is the proof I had no idea about what you did! But ... I did say it was the render I was commenting on.

Sorry Chohole if I overstepped any bounds!!

No problem, glad I did not offend with my opinion. I like the render and if I was you ..... I would tweak it a bit and toss it in your gallery!

edited December 1969

mcjam24.....Your picture is great!!!!

edited December 1969

Thanks bullit35744, I had some doubts about being able to pull off what I wanted too....and indeed I overshot my capabilities when I was trying to redo the Morphing Fantasy Dress to resemble the shirt I ended up with....but it was fun, and now I have a graphics tablet on my wishlist for working in Gimp.

edited November 2013

bullit35744

Really nice work, I like outfit on Albert! The background is great too as from your post I am assuming it was all built as opposed to pre-built. Doubt I will be able to do as well as you did. Good Luck!

mcjam24

Nice work on yours too! I always have such a hard time posing things. They end up looking like they were in a car accident ... LOL. Good Luck to you too!

I will not be done in time to enter, kind of overshot my skill levels (on purpose) to learn more. I will still post when I am done but I'm not worried about it. The object here is learn and push the boundaries to learn .... so I am okay with not being done.

Good luck to both of you, and anyone else who enters. The work I see you folks do makes me strive to meet that quality .. so thanks!!

Post edited by firefly43 on