suddenly Carrara is imperial even though I choose metric

My Carrara has suddenly gone imperial

I am horrified

I cannot work with this archaic measuring system and it won't let me reset it in preferences, well says metric but it's not

WTF?????

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I can manually make it cm under interface in scene but why is it loading in inches?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

can loading a scene over ride the interface prefs?

Mystarra said:

can loading a scene over ride the interface prefs?

am wondering as now a new scene it is OK again

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited March 2019

I get this if I load an imperial item without loading an empty scene first... am taking meds, so sorry if I am misunderstanding.  frown  Silene

ETA:  If I drag a car, fbx or obj file into Carrara, whether it's open or not, and it's not coming into an empty scent, it creates a scene of its own.  So I have to save to browser and then drag it into a new carrara scene.... sort of.

Post edited by SileneUK on

I get this if I load an imperial item without loading an empty scene first... am taking meds, so sorry if I am misunderstanding.  frown  Silene

ETA:  If I drag a car, fbx or obj file into Carrara, whether it's open or not, and it's not coming into an empty scent, it creates a scene of its own.  So I have to save to browser and then drag it into a new carrara scene.... sort of.

yes think thats what happend, I opened an obj I had modelled and exported

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

crikey.... next it'll be left hand drive!  devil

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

I grew up with Imperial, but after getting into motocross and getting a Honda, I was thrilled at using the Metric system. Why on Earth do we use fractions for this? Decimals are so much easier!!!

what the best way to save a preset sohs it doesnt change customers measures type?

yoos all use cm ?

ca measures.jpg
    355 x 482 - 50K
    edited July 2019

For big scenes I use metres and cm and mm for smaller items.  It's how we measure everything so what we are used to it now. EG, our letter page size for rendering something for print is called A4 (210 x 297mm) and it is pretty close to your 8.5 x 11. It's been metric for a long time, but my husband grew up when it was still imperial here.  Luckily the UK has avoided measuring bust, waist and hips in metric. That would be too much to bear (or bare)!   surprise

Road measurements, speed, etc are still in miles and mph in the UK, but we buy our fuel/gas in litres so figuring the mpg gets interesting as our gallon is different as well!

wink Silene

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

For big scenes I use metres and cm and mm for smaller items.  It's how we measure everything so what we are used to it now. EG, our letter page size for rendering something for print is called A4 (210 x 297mm) and it is pretty close to your 8.5 x 11. It's been metric for a long time, but my husband grew up when it was still imperial here.  Luckily the UK has avoided measuring bust, waist and hips in metric. That would be too much to bear (or bare)!   surprise

Road measurements, speed, etc are still in miles and mph in the UK, but we buy our fuel/gas in litres so figuring the mpg gets interesting as our gallon is different as well!

wink Silene

Then there's the whole "stone" thing for a persons weight. Do you still do that? I don't think we've used stone for a very long time. I only hear it referenced in British TV, or read it in British books. I'm not even sure how many pounds a "stone" equals, so when I read it in a book, I don't know whether to picture fat or thin if they weigh X stone.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,307
    edited July 2019

wink Silene

Then there's the whole "stone" thing for a persons weight. Do you still do that? I don't think we've used stone for a very long time. I only hear it referenced in British TV, or read it in British books. I'm not even sure how many pounds a "stone" equals, so when I read it in a book, I don't know whether to picture fat or thin if they weigh X stone.

I have the reverse problem with peoples' weight in pounds - I have to divide by 14 to be able to tell whether they are "small" or "large"! (I'm UK too)

ETA: Actually I can picture people who weigh exactly 140 pounds (ie. 10 stone) or 112 pounds (a "hundredweight" here)!

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited July 2019

I like stones.... I weigh a LOT less!  But on the other hand, if I lose 7 pounds, saying you lost half-a-stone doesn't sound very impressive.

But Melanie is right... if you know abouts 10 stone visually, then it's 140 lbs.  It's harder for me with little kids, though... I still have to deal with them in kilos until they get to about 4 stone in weight.  

Odd that they have stuck with stones here, sort of like measuring horses by upteen hands or something old fashioned like that.

cheeky  Silene

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,307

I did my primary education in Imperial measures, but most of my secondary education in metric, so I don't have too much trouble with small quantities or very large ones in either, but I find the people measures almost impossible to visualise in metric.

I recall there were a lot of grumbles among the wider community when our semi-metrication happened, so I guess that's why we still use the old ways some of the time! My grandmother found metrication totally confusing and used to go into shops and try to buy litres of fabric. (Actually that's probably technically possible, but not what she meant - you'd get a lot more fine silk or georgette than denim or heavy woollen cloth)