Shading Regions on a Cube

edited November 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hi, all. Using Cararra Pro 6. I'm trying to map a different image onto each facet of a primitive cube but it's only giving me one shading region to work with. How do I break that up into six shading regions, one for each side? Or am I going about this entirely wrong?

Post edited by william.bichteman on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,374
    edited December 1969

Moved to Carrara Discussion.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Either convert your primitive cube to a vertex model (Edit > Convert to other modeler) or start with a new cube in the vertex modeler. Vertex Object cubes default to having fewer polygon - just FYI - because they'll start with one polygon per cube face, unless you ask for more segments. I always (in this situation) just use a single polygon for each side - equaling six polygons. Anyways:

In the Vertex Modeler, select one of the faces that you wish to be separate. Note that primitive cubes have two triangle polygons per cube side - so select all that you wish to use the same map.

In the "Global" tab (half way down in the tray on the right), scroll down to "Shading Domain Management" and click ADD. When asked if you wish the new domain to be applied to the selection, answer: "Yes" and then go and type your name in for that domain.

Repeat that step for each of the six sides of the cube.

• edited December 1969

Dartan, you are the bomb. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the quick response!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I try ;)
    Well, I've done that very thing many times.