Making Sure Before Installing Latest Bryce7Pro

franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
edited November 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Okay, so I've downloaded the latest version of Bryce7Pro a few days ago...

I've now just saved all the presets from my current version of Bryce to somewhere else on the C/ drive,

(I make and save an awful lot of my own stuff, objects, materials, skies, etc etc)

plus the terrain maps, docs, data, Untitled.br7 and default.br7 - is there anything else I should save or do before installing the latest version?

Post edited by franontheedge on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I don't think so. Double check your back ups, and you should be good to go.

I actually installed Bryce on a separate (internal) HD , and have different versions in different folders, so I can run Br5 as an option if I want to, and I know Horo has actually got all previous versions installed, using a similar method.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I don't think so. Double check your back ups, and you should be good to go.

I actually installed Bryce on a separate (internal) HD , and have different versions in different folders, so I can run Br5 as an option if I want to, and I know Horo has actually got all previous versions installed, using a similar method.

Yes, I can revert to Bryce5.5 if I want to, 6.3 too come to that, what I can't remember is how to leave one icon connected to the current version of Bryce7.1 and also have a different icon for this newer version of Bryce - also 7.1
    ... something to do with the icon's properties I think - but I also think I had problems with assigning the version of Bryce I wanted (a Beta version) to one icon and the newer (non Beta version) to another icon.

In looking at the info for this version of Bryce7Pro, I see that it's dated Dec 16th 2010 - if that's the date I last installed it, then it will explain why I'm having trouble remembering what to do.
    Of course it could just be the build date...

What I've done is to make a folder under Program files/Daz3d called 'Bryce7ProPoint1Nov2013' where I intend to install this latest version of Bryce - I can't just call it 'Bryce7ProPoint1' because that's what the current one is called.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

should work

edited November 2013

Yeah, up to a point... see new thread. (I put it in a new thread because I'm sitting waiting for a reply with the installer box open - and I worried that no one would look at a longer thread - just swat me if that's wrong)
    Continued Bryce7Pro Installation Questions

Phew, it's sorted.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

When I upgraded to a newer Bryce I simply added a number, or letter, or whatever, to the version I was using so that version would be left alone. Because all of that program was still intact it wouldn't be hard to just put a shortcut on my desktop in order to have quick access to that version. I haven't put a shortcut on my desktop to do this, but it wouldn't take any time if I chose to.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,514
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge - If you have more than one Bryce installed, you will never know which version is launched when you click on a source file. You have to start the version you want and load the file in there.

December 2010 is a funny date. The most recent version 7.1 is from 15. August 2011. Run Bryce, click on Help, hold down Ctrl-key and click on About Bryce. You should have version 7.1.0.109.

edited November 2013

GussNemo said:
    When I upgraded to a newer Bryce I simply added a number, or letter, or whatever, to the version I was using so that version would be left alone. Because all of that program was still intact it wouldn't be hard to just put a shortcut on my desktop in order to have quick access to that version. I haven't put a shortcut on my desktop to do this, but it wouldn't take any time if I chose to.

I've done similar - except I used a slightly more descriptive title than just 1, 2, 3 or 4 etc etc. and except that this time I made a mistake and let the installer uninstall the previous Bryce7Pro - but I still have 5.5 and 6.3 available to use if I want to.
    It's been 3 years since I last had to install a new version of Bryce so I've also forgotten how to fix up a separate icon for a new updated version, while retaining the old version - but as I stupidly let the old version be uninstalled, that's now beside the point.

@Horo

@franontheedge - If you have more than one Bryce installed, you will never know which version is launched when you click on a source file. You have to start the version you want and load the file in there.

Yes, but I usually open Bryce first then choose the file to open - this is a habit now as it's only since Bryce7Pro that clicking on a scene file no longer results in just an error message.

December 2010 is a funny date. The most recent version 7.1 is from 15. August 2011. Run Bryce, click on Help, hold down Ctrl-key and click on About Bryce. You should have version 7.1.0.109.
    Yes well, no one told me there were any new updates - not at all, not since Dec 2010.
    I don't have to check, I can only have 7.1.0.109 - that's the version I just installed. I wouldn't want to disturb the current render anyway, it's been running since 6am this morning, very glass intensive. (actually I did look the first time I opened the new version)

I notice that they've managed to fix part of the naming problems - now I still get long complex names for parts of a model - much longer than the name I gave that part in Wings when I made it - BUT the entire name no longer vanishes or reduces to a mess when I try to correct the over-long name - which although only slight, is at least an improvement.