Continued Bryce7Pro Installation Questions

franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I just installed Bryce7Pro version 7.1.0.109 and the content I donwloaded at the same time from my Daz3d account. Just began installing the ProContent and...

My current problem is that the installer now wants to uninstall a previously detected version of Pro Content.

I've installed Bryce, installed content, now I'm trying to install PROContent - my question is, is the installer detecting the 'CONTENT' I just installed, or is it somehow detecting the previous installation of Bryce ProContent from 2010?

I'm puzzled because I downloaded both Content and ProContent just the other day with the Bryce.exe file - I mean if I say 'yes' uninstall the detected content - will it uninstall the content I installed only a few moments ago?
(In which case what IS the point in providing both 'Content' and 'ProContent' is our Daz3d accounts online, if it's just going to uninstall that recent 'Content' installation?)
If it's talking about the older 2010 ProContent - why could leaving it alone cause conflicts?
I'm gonna copy over all my old content anyway once all this installation is over - that won't cause conflicts - it never has yet. So why should this?

I'm just a bit concerned about what the installer really means - can someone help?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

Tell it not to delete -- it's detecting the regular content.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Tell it not to delete -- it's detecting the regular content.

Okay, will do, and thanks very much.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I must admit I installed my content to a test folder and moved it myself. But I had seen other people posting about just that problem, so was forewarned.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,514
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge - If you install Bryce in the default folder and if there is already a Bryce installed, all your presets will be overwritten by the new ones or - in other words - deleted. Whatever you ever had is lost for good.

If you want to keep the default folder for Bryce, copy the Presets folder and any Content folders to another location and copy them back after installation.

A much better strategy is to install Bryce in a completely different folder, best on another drive. I have all versions since v4 installed in such a way and when beta testing during development cycles, I had always at least 20 different builds installed to determine when a new bug appeared.

I can only recommend that you get and read this document http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf.

Do not let the installer delete anything. It is made and optimised for Studio, Bryce works differently.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @franontheedge - If you install Bryce in the default folder and if there is already a Bryce installed, all your presets will be overwritten by the new ones or - in other words - deleted. Whatever you ever had is lost for good.

If you want to keep the default folder for Bryce, copy the Presets folder and any Content folders to another location and copy them back after installation.

A much better strategy is to install Bryce in a completely different folder, best on another drive. I have all versions since v4 installed in such a way and when beta testing during development cycles, I had always at least 20 different builds installed to determine when a new bug appeared.

I can only recommend that you get and read this document http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf.

Do not let the installer delete anything. It is made and optimised for Studio, Bryce works differently.

Oh Horo, I might not be an expert like you and David with lighting and dof and - well everything, but I've known about saving the presets for many a year now. I might not have as many presets as you two do but I hoard what I have jealously.
    I save them to the same C:/ drive - in a different folder,
    to other drives F:/ and G:/
    and to external removeable drives H:/ & J:/ (probably)
    and sometimes I also save them to DVD...
    Which reminds me it's about time I did a newer DVD again...

However, it's never a bad idea to remind people of this -
    BRYCE INSTALLERS OVERWRITE YOUR SAVED PRESETS.
    If you want to keep old ones - save save SAVE!