Kai Krause spotting

alymacalymac Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

There's been a few rumors of what he's been up to. Good news, he's working on iPad apps. I found a beautiful one from from called frax.
This brings my hopes up that eventually there may be a type of Bryce for the iPad eventually.who knows?
Those who know, check it out and let me know if it's our Kai .

Comments

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited December 1969

alymac said:
    There's been a few rumors of what he's been up to. Good news, he's working on iPad apps. I found a beautiful one from from called frax.
    This brings my hopes up that eventually there may be a type of Bryce for the iPad eventually.who knows?
    Those who know, check it out and let me know if it's our Kai .

Yes, Frax is definitely by the same Kai Krause who worked on Bryce and Kai's Power Tools.

I can't decide whether Bryce for iPad would be a good thing, although I guess there's no reason why you couldn't have it. In terms of CPU power and memory, my iPad blows the doors off the Mac IIci that I used to use to run Bryce 1. If there were such a thing as a 680x0 or PowerPC Mac emulator for iPad, you could probably run older versions of Bryce faster than they ran on the machines they were built for.

I haven't found any 3D landscape modelers on iPad - there are a few 3D modeling and rendering programs - so that's a niche that could still be filled. DAZ?

Incidentally, Frax demonstrates an approach that might make 3D landscape rendering practical on tablets: with Frax, you can 'design' your fractals on the iPad, and then offload them to a render farm (which they call the 'Frax cloud') for rendering. This means that you're not limited by the processing power of the tablet when it comes to creating the final render (it also means that Kai and friends get to charge you for the privilege, but that's just how it goes).

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831
    edited December 1969

Just for anyone who's interested, the Frax applications for iOS are on sale for 50% off today (so the iPad app costs $1.99, and the iPhone app costs $0.99). The upgrade to the 'Pro' version (via in-app purchase) does not appear to be discounted.