My Own Brinnen Wings3d Noodling For Bryce - Gone Wrong!

franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Um...
I've been trying to do some 'noodling' in Wings3d to get a nice weird thing to texture and render in Bryce...
Only something weird is happening.

I started with an OctoToad, extruded similar square faces, rotated these 90 degrees, extruded them again, did scale uniform, then did mirror, got what looked like a nice odd thing, but when I went to add a different material to the large flat squares by selecting them and then growing the selection (and then selecting by hand all the inner large flat squares to match - added a new material to these, but when I deselected it looked like some of the inner faces had not got the right material.

But hover the cursor over such a face and wings says it does have the new material.
But one doing 'select/inverse' wings selects the inner nodules - AND some of the faces that have already had a new mat.
This is not making sense to me, what have I done wrong?
How can I fix it?
I tried selecting the whole object and using 'weld' it seemed to do something, but still the problem remains (I also tried 'cleanup' it didn't help.
The image shows the noodle shape and red dots or arrows show the oddly behaving faces. Help?

OctotoadComplexObject.jpg
983 x 691 - 108K

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Um...
    I've been trying to do some 'noodling' in Wings3d to get a nice weird thing to texture and render in Bryce...
    Only something weird is happening.

I started with an OctoToad, extruded similar square faces, rotated these 90 degrees, extruded them again, did scale uniform, then did mirror, got what looked like a nice odd thing, but when I went to add a different material to the large flat squares by selecting them and then growing the selection (and then selecting by hand all the inner large flat squares to match - added a new material to these, but when I deselected it looked like some of the inner faces had not got the right material.

But hover the cursor over such a face and wings says it does have the new material.
    But one doing 'select/inverse' wings selects the inner nodules - AND some of the faces that have already had a new mat.
    This is not making sense to me, what have I done wrong?
    How can I fix it?
    I tried selecting the whole object and using 'weld' it seemed to do something, but still the problem remains (I also tried 'cleanup' it didn't help.
    The image shows the noodle shape and red dots or arrows show the oddly behaving faces. Help?

If you can say what is wrong I might be able to help. But looking at the picture I can't see anything obviously wrong and I don't understand your description. Can you record a video? That would be easier to follow.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

If you can say what is wrong I might be able to help. But looking at the picture I can't see anything obviously wrong and I don't understand your description. Can you record a video? That would be easier to follow.

It's obviously harder to explain than I thought.
    I have a video camera, but no screen capture prog so I don't know if I can do a video - I'll try it tomorrow.
    Or I could send you the wings file if that would help...
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I have a video camera, but no screen capture prog so I don't know if I can do a video - I'll try it tomorrow.

You could post me the wings file and let me know which tutorial you were following at the time so I have some idea of the expected result.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

You could post me the wings file and let me know which tutorial you were following at the time so I have some idea of the expected result.

Um... Well actually I wasn't following one of your tutorials for this, I was foolishly trying to create my own after having followed a few of yours.
    I've now realised what I've done wrong - when I was mirroring, I ended up with more than 1 copy of certain sections - which is why some bits didn't show the assigned colour - because some bits didn't get it, being underneath the bits that did.
    I'll try it again and see if I can cure it, if not I'll do a video explaining how I got there...