Need reduced poly chars in c8.5 pro

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I want o build a scene with multiple k4/toddlers in C8.5 pro. They don't need to be especially high quality. If I use the decimator in DAZ studio 4.6 pro, how can I bring in the reduced poly version so as to avoid taxing my system in c8.5 pro.

(I think carrara automatically uses lower resolution if character is far away, but these will be close up and I'm looking to reduce the amount of polys my system has to handle)

thanks

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

Have you considered using Genesis based characters and setting the Smoothing level to zero? The base Genesis figure is 3-4 times less polys in its unsmoothed state compared to a Gen4 figure.

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

didn't know that - will give it a try - thanks

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited November 2013

If you have the time I have a 4 part series on creating Low Poly animatable (non speaking) characters from scratch. I've put up to 132 in a single scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG55S3Lir4Q&list=PL511383E90B92CC0E&index=1

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2013

Do they have to be K4? Could you morph another figure? Predatron has some low rez figures (and not just a cow).
    see
    http://www.daz3d.com/lorez-casual-man-1

edit to say that I see that this figure has full body morphs for teens and children

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Do they have to be K4? Could you morph another figure? Predatron has some low rez figures (and not just a cow).
    see
    http://www.daz3d.com/lorez-casual-man-1

edit to say that I see that this figure has full body morphs for teens and children

The Predatron Lo-Res figures are great and very easy on system resources, so you can have loads in there for the "price" of one V4 (or K4).

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited November 2013

Also, don't forget that Carrara supports levels of detail, and you can get V4 herself (and M4) down to a very low resolution indeed if you just load them.

Runtime:Geometries:DAZPeople:blMilWom_v4b_LOD

Goes all the way down to 1K polys.

Post edited by Fenric on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the varied replies.

If I've already made some characters that I need to use in a single scene (includes K4, Millen Kids 3, Luke & Laura, Genesis, and V4) -

Can I load in LOD's for these characters and have Carrara use them without messing up the animations or clothing fits?

Also, for future reference (too late for this project), can I use Decimator in DazPro 4.6 to reduce an entire dressed character and bring that into Carrara without a problem?

Right now, I've taken to loading the clothing directly in Carrara because seems to have less problems - but I do lots of animations, so would like a way to reduce poly counts in the future.

And PhilW - am I better off shutting Smooth entirely or setting it at 0 (or do those do the same thing?)

Thanks

edited December 1969

A partial answer - you should be able to use LOD without messing anything up. LOD is aimed primarily at using lower res figures when they are further away, but you can force them to be used at any distance. This will only reduce the poly count on your figure and not on any clothes.

As far as I am aware, setting it to zero is the same as having it turned off, but you may want to turn it off just to be sure.

edited December 1969

And how do I force Carrara to load the LODs?

Fenric was nice engough to give me this location for V4's: Runtime:Geometries:DAZPeople:blMilWom_v4b_LOD
    but what do I do with that info?

Thanks

edited December 1969

And how do I force Carrara to load the LODs?

Fenric was nice engough to give me this location for V4's: Runtime:Geometries:DAZPeople:blMilWom_v4b_LOD
    but what do I do with that info?

Thanks

Under the Parameters panel you will see Add LOD and LOD options. Add an LOD model (or more than one) to your figure from the folder that Fenric suggested. You can then use LOD options to specify how to use it. The first option is Simple LOD, in which you can specify which model to use for the Viewport and when Rendering, and it will always use this. The other option allows you to specify the distance based options.