Carrara Native Content....missing folders

Moss_35089Moss_35089 Posts: 20
edited November 2013 in Carrara Discussion

with the carrara native content comes a PDF catalogue listing the objects folders from Aircraft (1 & 2) to folder Writer, i'm missing 2 folders listed Landmarks and Life Forms does anyone know where they hide?
I've downloaded and re downloaded 8 different times since may 2010 when i bought Carrara pro upgrade and have yet to see them included, is this a mistake in the catalogue?, or do we actually get them, just excluded from my D/L file?

Post edited by Moss_35089 on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I don't have C8.5, but this is a common question I've seen posted before, so I'll help if I can.

When you DL Carrara, there should be a file called Carrara Native content, which shouldn't be confused with C8.5 Native content. The Native content file should be pretty darned large. This is the one you want. I seem to recall that the C8.5 native content had to do with Carrara shaders for Genesis or something Genesis related like that, so you'll also want that if you don't have it.

When C8.5 was originally released, there was a mistake and the Native content wasn't put up for download with C8.5. DAZ corrected that pretty quickly, so if you've downloaded Carrara after the first four days or so of its release, the file should have been available to DL.

As to using the download manager, and all that, someone else will have to help with that, if there are any questions about it.

• Moss_35089Moss_35089 Posts: 20
    edited November 2013

thanks evilproducer
    but this is for carrara 8 pro, don't have 8.5 upgrade, but same folder, its 178 +/- Mb, you get a choice, an .exe, or a zip, same content and since may 2010 i download it about every 5 months and still missing those 2 folders, "Landmarks" and "Life forms" that are listed in the PDF catalogue that comes with the native content, just curious if they actually do come with it or is it a mistake in the PDF?
    thanks again
    Moss

edited December 1969

Moss said:
    thanks evilproducer
    but this is for carrara 8 pro, don't have 8.5 upgrade, but same folder, its 178 +/- Mb, you get a choice, an .exe, or a zip, same content and since may 2010 i download it about every 5 months and still missing those 2 folders, "Landmarks" and "Life forms" that are listed in the PDF catalogue that comes with the native content, just curious if they actually do come with it or is it a mistake in the PDF?
    thanks again
    Moss

I have them in C7.2 Pro. Are you allowing the installer to install to the default locations?

edited December 1969

Moss said:
    thanks evilproducer
    thanks again
    Moss

I have them in C7.2 Pro. Are you allowing the installer to install to the default locations?

thanks, yes I allowed the installer to install to the default location and still in both C7 & C8 those 2 folders are missing

edited December 1969

That's strange that you don't have them.

You can't find them by searching your hard drive?

Here's a couple screen shots to show them in my objects browser.

Picture_2.png
    1017 x 294 - 76K
    Picture_1.png
    1008 x 202 - 68K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,990
    edited December 1969

I don't have them either... and can't recall ever having them :ohh:

edited November 2013

Maybe they're relics from C5? I used to have that before I upgraded to C7. I seem to recall that prior to C7 coming out, DAZ wanted to update some of the included scenes and models for scale and such. Maybe they were dropped for some reason?

C7 shipped with the C6 manual even though there was a C7 manual. They just didn't bother to, or forgot to update the install package with the new manual. Perhaps the same thing happened with the pdf file listing the native content?

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

File a support ticket and include as much info as you can in it.

Be sure to list the models and the location of the list in the PDF.

Mention that the C8 Native Content is also part of C8.5 in your ticket.

They are definitely missing from the C8 native content.

edited December 1969

went and found my old carrara 7 content file and installed it.... not there either.

edited December 1969

Those items must have been left out at some point after C5 apparently.

edited November 2013

Those items must have been left out at some point after C5 apparently.

thanks all
    they weren't in my C5 native content either, my C5 content has neither the catalogue PDF nor any of those folders, don't appear in my C6 nor C7 native content folders

going to try and download C5 content folder again see if they are in there, that folder was originally 440 + Mb, C6 was 181, C7 & 8 were 176

edited December 1969

I don't go any earlier than C5, so if it's not in there... I don't know what to say... I have them, that's all I know.

I can understand the frustration, I'm just not sure how to help, or why they aren't there.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

I have them but I cannot find my C8.1 content in my account either (lost it all accidently few days ago uninstalling)
    am using an earlier save possibly from C7 doubt it was from 5

edited December 1969

Found them... they are in the Carrara 3D xPress setup... ;)

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Hi Stezza,

What is 'Carrara 3D xPress'? I don't have those two folders either, and can't find an entry in DIM with that title? Thanks!

Rich S.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

LinkRS said:
    Hi Stezza,

What is 'Carrara 3D xPress'? I don't have those two folders either, and can't find an entry in DIM with that title? Thanks!

Rich S.

That was a "Lite" version of Carrara (stripped-down Carrara 6, I think).

edited December 1969

Yep, that's correct..

It was the first Carrara product I bought after getting Version 5 for free..

It cost about $20 or so it's not available now.

edited December 1969

I also noticed some new scenes as well with XPress which don't come with 7, 8 or 8.5 Pro :ohh:

I'd forgotten all about those :coolhmm:

edited December 1969

Hi Everyone,

I just filed a case with Customer Support about the Landmarks and Lifeforms objects missing. They said they are looking into it :-)

Rich S>

edited December 1969

LinkRS said:
    Hi Everyone,

I just filed a case with Customer Support about the Landmarks and Lifeforms objects missing. They said they are looking into it :-)

Rich S>

\

Hopefully it will go well!

edited December 1969

I'll post back here with the results :-)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

crazy thing is though most my native content is still missing as I go through the process of sorting and copying it from my C8.1 backup on my external
    (there is an awful lot of added stuff to skip from each folder so cannot direct copy)
    I did find those two missing folders are there untouched by the accidental C8.5 uninstall!!!

edited December 1969

LinkRS said:
    Hi Everyone,

Rich S>

thanks for that
    i went thru' all versions since C6 that i have stored on external HD, and redownloaded both the .zip and exe installers for C8 and no change, i don't have C8.5, but appears the folders haven't changed since C6 and not in any of them
    M.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

LinkRS said:

Still no word about making the landmarks, etc. available? It does seem that the files should be in an archive somewhere, so there shouldn't be a big problem making them available to Carrara owners of newer versions.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    LinkRS said:

Still no word about making the landmarks, etc. available? It does seem that the files should be in an archive somewhere, so there shouldn't be a big problem making them available to Carrara owners of newer versions.

Hi Diomede64,

I got a response from customer support saying that it was being sent to the appropriate department, but have not heard anything since. I will probably ping them again on Monday :-)

Rich S.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

crazy thing is though most my native content is still missing as I go through the process of sorting and copying it from my C8.1 backup on my external
    (there is an awful lot of added stuff to skip from each folder so cannot direct copy)
    I did find those two missing folders are there untouched by the accidental C8.5 uninstall!!!
    That IS crazy. But it does show that 8.5 doesn't know anything about the folders. Strange. I hope they put them back in.