Vibrancy loss

murph101murph101 Posts: 68
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been crafting some pictures in Carrara 8.5, and, using the Gamma correction technique posted, am coming up with some very photorealistic pics.

However, when I save the render to either .PNG, .JPG, .TIF, or .PSD, a great deal of the vibrancy is lost. Areas that have light fall-off, especially on skin, come out looking patchy, like a .GIF. It almost looks like paint-by-numbers.

Attempts to fiddle with brightness, contrast, or saturation in Photoshop diminish the luster I saw at render time inside Carrara. Even if I render at 600 dpi (which looks fantastic in Carrara, BTW), in photoshop or just a windows viewer, it looks muted, and not as rich. I thought .TIF was supposed to preserve the best range of colors.

Any ideas on how to maintain what I see in Carrara once exported to another format?

Comments

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited November 2013

there are a number of things you can do, one make sure youare using the same color profiles in fotoshop as are in carrara. render rgb and make sure you are using adobe rgb profile in fotoshop and save from fotoshop as a rgb file. forget superrgb srgb and cmyk. start with rgb if you are going to convert to any other profile. all your image and vector apps should be set to rgb for consistent color. use no gamma correction in carrara if you are on a pc use 2.2 a mac 1.8. turn off gamma in carrara. mac has now switched its monitor and image profile to the pc 2.2 because of the web. the color gamut for 2.2 is far less than a color gamut of 1.8 meaning there are far less colors coming from 2.2 and much darker. no way to compensate for that, the color is not there. best 1.8 for wider color gamut. have you calibrated your monitor, if not do so

Post edited by dot_bat on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited November 2013

murph101 said:
    I've been crafting some pictures in Carrara 8.5, and, using the Gamma correction technique posted...

I realize some people just *love* the gamma correction. I do not. You can get a very similar look using a near white color chip (with just a hint of sky blue) in the Ambient Light at about 30% brightness…, but without the color clipping of Gamma correction.

Quick tricks are just that: tricks. If it works for you, great…, but there is always a compromise.

That said, I'm surprised you can see the clipping as it is not severe. I suggest testing some renders without Gamma and if there is no banding then Gamma is your culprit, but if you still see some banding artifacts either your image program, or your image viewer needs to be looked at.

TIFF and PNG are lossless. DPI is not a factor in color clipping as you describe it(rendering higher resolution images will not get your clipped colors back).

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

murph101 said:
    I've been crafting some pictures in Carrara 8.5, and, using the Gamma correction technique posted...

I realize some people just *love* the gamma correction. I do not. You can get a very similar look using a near white color chip (with just a hint of sky blue) in the Ambient Light at about 30% brightness…, but without the color clipping of Gamma correction.

Quick tricks are just that: tricks. If it works for you, great…, but there is always a compromise.

Not a fan of it either.