Help going mad over carrara render nodes

DaveDave Posts: 178
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I ve been going mad trying to render using carrara render nodes , I did get it to work once and I know i had to change the ip address in the render settings because I have one wired pc and one wireless. so anybody know which combination is correct I know i had to change the ip address on BOTH machines in the preferences .One other thing is it essential to shut down carrara and its node and then restart the node first then carrara on the other machine after every change?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I use the default configuration with my mixed network of varying vintages of Macs and OS X versions. All the computers are on the same router though.

You need to launch Carrara on the host machine before the network nodes are launched. As long as you do that, you can open a scene, edit it, save it, load it into the Batch Queue and network render. See something you don't like? Abort the render, open the scene (if closed) make your changes, save, reset the scene in the Batch Queue and launch the render. No need to quit Carrara or the nodes. I do it all the time.

• DaveDave Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

That works now , i followed a guide on here that was saying to start the render node FIRST but that dosnt seem to work at all at least not on my system,the same guide said if it wasnt working and had both wired and wireless conected pcs you would need to edit the ip addresses ,but again that dose not appear to be the case.

edited December 1969

I'm glad you got it going. I know in the past, network rendering over a wireless network was not considered ideal due to how a wireless network handle it's packets and error correction or something. It was easier to have a render stall or hang on a wireless network. I suppose that the technology has matured enough that it's not as much of an issue.

• SpacelandSpaceland Posts: 132
    edited November 2013

Same for me,

Both of my computer can ping each other, they have the same subnet mask, I have disable the windows firewall, yet when I start batch render, nothing.

Both are using wireless network.

1 x Carrara 8.5 Pro build 243 64 bit
    1 x Carrara 8.5 Build 243 32 bit

Post edited by Spaceland on
  • EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Hello Denis,
    you have to run the Rendernode Application on the second PC. You get it with your Carrara 8.5 Pro.

And if possible: use LAN instead of WLAN/WiFi. Its much faster for transferring the data.

Eddy

Node.jpg
    659 x 778 - 146K
    edited December 1969

I know, the node version is install on the 2nd computer, I just gave the version when it load.

Second, I know lan wire is faster but the way I am setup, I need to be using wireless. I don't want to pass network cable all over my basement.

edited December 1969

It's not just speed, it has something to do with error correction. I'm no network guy, so I can only tell you what I've read in the most basic way. The wireless network has more tolerance in it's error correction for bad packets- or being wireless it has more errors or something. From what I've read, Carrara doesn't handle a lot of bad data very well. It can cause the render to fail. Not sure if it causes Carrara to not see the node computer though.

I have most of the computers in my home hard wired, but my router is a wired/wireless hybrid and I've launched a wireless node once or twice with okay results.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

I ve been going mad trying to render using carrara render nodes , I did get it to work once and I know i had to change the ip address in the render settings because I have one wired pc and one wireless. so anybody know which combination is correct I know i had to change the ip address on BOTH machines in the preferences .One other thing is it essential to shut down carrara and its node and then restart the node first then carrara on the other machine after every change?

Hi BigDave,

After some time playing around, I think I figured it out. If you are on a Windows PC, you will need to make sure to allow Carrara through your firewall on both the main computer and the "Render Node" computer. Once you have done that, figure out what your IP address is on each box, and select the "Manual" configuration is specified, with your IP and Subnet entered. Then make sure the port list matches on both your main PC and the render node, AND that port 0 is the one specified in the main applications preferences. Once I did all of that, I was finally able to get the node to show up in the manager on the main PC. However, it didn't seem to make it much faster (if at all), but I am only doing static renders, perhaps it helps more if you are animating? Good luck!

Rich S.

edited December 1969

LinkRS said:

Hi BigDave,

After some time playing around, I think I figured it out. If you are on a Windows PC, you will need to make sure to allow Carrara through your firewall on both the main computer and the "Render Node" computer. Once you have done that, figure out what your IP address is on each box, and select the "Manual" configuration is specified, with your IP and Subnet entered. Then make sure the port list matches on both your main PC and the render node, AND that port 0 is the one specified in the main applications preferences. Once I did all of that, I was finally able to get the node to show up in the manager on the main PC. However, it didn't seem to make it much faster (if at all), but I am only doing static renders, perhaps it helps more if you are animating? Good luck!

Rich S.

Hi there,

As soon as i setup manual for my main computer running carrara, it worked. in the render setting for network.

Thank you.

edited November 2013

I have tested it out again today at my job.

Lapatop Sony Ultrabook with Windows 8.1 64 bits with Carrara 8.5 Pro 64 Bits.
    Tablette Samsung 500T Windows 8.1 32 bits with Carrara Node installed.

My Wireless router is my Windows Phone Samsung.

Both Connected to the sharing of my phone, both can ping each IP address.

Was not working yesterday when I tried, today on the machine running Windows 8.1, the Sony one I went to File, Preferences..., Render room and choose Manual instead of automatic, make certain the IP is there.

Boom, it work.

Do not forget that in Windows Firewall, the authorization for Carrara was there.

Thank you LinkRS for the input.

Post edited by Spaceland on
    edited December 1969

I'm glad you two got it working!

For what it's worth, I mainly use render nodes for animations. Dropping each frame down just a few seconds can have significant time benefits over the length of the render!

Good luck to both and happy rendering!