Anime Style Speedlines in Carrara?

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Any way to make anime style speedline video in Carrara? You see these in toons behind characters during action sequences for effect.

Here is an example: http://videohive.net/item/speed-lines-/48743

I am thinking of maybe a running a animation of a plane that has a random changing texture/material on it or something. after about 20 frames, that would be good enough, then it can be looped.

I was thinking I could do it, but I've hit a roadblock in ideas...

(alternative methods are fine as well)

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

That's usually an effect you'd create in a 2D motion graphics program, although I could see it as a possibility in Carrara. For the example you linked to, I just seem to see a still splash screen that's not animated. That may be my older browser and flash plugin that's at fault though.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,471
    edited December 1969

Yea, its a video. When I am not sure how to make something, there is usually a way to get it done in Carrara....its my fallback. Maybe Dart knows if it is included in that Project Dogwaffle? I was thinking of getting it.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited December 1969

I remember seeing a demo using Fenric's ERC plugin which gave this kind of effect - so I looked it up for you:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/45426/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/Carrara-ERC-example-+-description-Motion-Trail

I hope this is useful.

edited December 1969

Thanks though I was looking more to use as a track as a video background. I found another sample on YouTube: http://youtu.be/6goVnFRHGuw

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited November 2013

looks like it might be doable using a formula, do not ask me how, not mathematically minded

added http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/carrara/06_six/22_using_formulas no help to me though

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Great minds think alike :)

I was earlier Googling "formula for scan lines" and such...haven't hit the right term yet.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've done it by animating the Realistic Sky. Set the X and Y ratios of the various cloud layers, and adjust the angle and movement speeds.

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

Hi, I am a real newbie here but, couldn't you use a shader to create a pattern on a long wall-like background plane? If you can make a wall of bricks that way, you should be able to come up with lines and spaces. You then fly your camera along it the desired distance and time to create your movie.
    Gus

edited December 1969

What about this - take any panoramic background image and apply horizontal motion blur in your 2D image editing software. Load that in the background and then animate your camera rotating 360 degrees. That should give you a seamless loop. You can then either composite that in or put it on the Backdrop when you render your subject.

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Why so complicated? Very large sphere (remove top and bottom have if necessary) > shader > let it spin. You can change direction. Slow it down. Change shader.

edited December 1969

OK, so this seems like it would work...take a sphere or cylinder really big, add a map with lines to it and rotate fast....but I am having the hardest time with getting the scaling right. I get 1 or two lines, when the image I create has hundreds...its all screwed up!?!?! ugh...bedtime.

edited December 1969

Or your UV mapping is wrong. It has to be set to sphere. Or play with tiling in the texture settings.

edited December 1969

OK, I think I am getting there. Here is a Flash example...of a quick test of white lines on a black background as a map on BB Env Sphere, spinning aaround. Thanks for your patience :)

Flash Speedlines

• EximorphEximorph Posts: 35
    edited November 2013

Try using a noise or other shader that can scale one axis much higher than the others, and animate the seed value. Use a curve filter or color gradient to change the greyscale to something you like. My example below is an animated .gif in case, so you might have to click it.

Alternatively, you could create a few line objects and use them as particles. I think this would be a more flexible solution.

Scanlines.gif
    320 x 240 - 53K
    Scanlines2.png
    746 x 552 - 81K
    Scanlines1.png
    722 x 345 - 59K
    Post edited by Eximorph on
    edited December 1969

Eximorph said:
    Try using a noise or other shader that can scale one axis much higher than the others, and animate the seed value. Use a curve filter or color gradient to change the greyscale to something you like. My example below is an animated .gif in case, so you might have to click it.

Alternatively, you could create a few line objects and use them as particles. I think this would be a more flexible solution.

Nice idea, Eximorph! Although I would be inclined to animate it using the Transform tab rather than the seed value.

edited December 1969

And very important, make the shader seamless. Otherwise a rotating sphere looks fake, because you see a jump with every rotation.

edited December 1969

That's works great, and making it on a sphere and rotating it really adds the directional look! Thanks!

That being said, using the shader as it was posted, how do I make it seamless? There is a seamless option with Texture map, but I dont see anything this way? (sorry, I am not great with shaders)

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Eximorph said:

Nice idea, Eximorph! Although I would be inclined to animate it using the Transform tab rather than the seed value.

Yeah, the Transform tab should work better.

That's works great, and making it on a sphere and rotating it really adds the directional look! Thanks!

That being said, using the shader as it was posted, how do I make it seamless? There is a seamless option with Texture map, but I dont see anything this way? (sorry, I am not great with shaders)

Setting the Space to Local should make it seamless for a sphere or cylinder primitive.

edited December 1969

Tried it, but it changes the lines to dots :(

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Tried it, but it changes the lines to dots :(

I made the original shader for a plane, so I only worried about the scale in two axes. For a 3D object, you need to scale all 3 axes. Scale 2 larger and one smaller. You might have to change the global scale depending on the size of the object and its distance from the camera.

Scanlines3.png
    926 x 362 - 95K
    edited December 1969

OK thanks I will try that now. I did try changing settings like that, but not into the thousands...and it looked like no effect. I'll retry it

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:

Yes, that is one option. Probably it should work. Rotate the sphere and look if there is a seam.

The other option is, making the image file itself seamless. You need an image editor for that, like Photoshop or Gimp (free). For horizontal only, you open the image > make a copy > mirror the copy and add it left or right against the original.

edited November 2013

I just did a quick Carrara scene file that generates roughly what you are after, feel free to download and adjust to your taste. It is set up to generate a single rotation but the texture is seamless so it can be looped.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4297440/Speedlines.car

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited November 2013

Thanks PhilW, I will give it a whirl!

Wow, that looks great! Pretty much exactly what I was after. I will compare it to what I was using, so I can learn how you did it.

I like that the color is changeable as well! :)

Thanks again!

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
    edited December 1969

You're welcome - glad to help. The fractal texture is vertically "squashed" by using the Transform tab, you may have overlooked that.