YouTube help

I was wondering about YouTube and playlists.  I created a playlist of Carrara tutorials but they are in no order.  Is there a way to put them in order?  Or is there a playlist for beginners already made?  

I searched YouTube for tutorials but got some Blender tutorials.  Any good Carrara ones out?

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

There is an information manual in the sticky posts at the top of the forum.  Thank you, Dartanbeck.  There are links to tutorials at the following post within the larger thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/233895/#Comment_233895

Can start there.  If you have further questions, please ask.  Folks are generally helpful.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

There is an information manual in the sticky posts at the top of the forum.  Thank you, Dartanbeck.  There are links to tutorials at the following post within the larger thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/233895/#Comment_233895

Can start there.  If you have further questions, please ask.  Folks are generally helpful.

Cripeman videos are excellent. Although not utube, PhilW's videos are an excellent resource as well.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

Which one does Carrara 8 pro read better?  Daz DUF or Poser format?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

For Victoria 4 / Michael 4 and earlier content, I find Poser format (cr2, pp2, etc.) easier to deal with.  Most of that older stff is only Poser format, so that is generally seamless.

For Genesis 1,2,+ rigged figures, I find duf easier than converting to the Poser companion files.

For props, distinction doesn't matter as much.  I find it best to use something set up for the 3Delight render engine because there is less hassle with the shaders than for Iray.  Iray can till be used, but have to spend more time fixing shaders in my eperience.

Others may have a different opinion.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

depends on who the modeller is I think.. and how they go about packaging it all up.

as an example Ken's SBRM Poser birds load into Carrara ok but his DUF for Daz SBRM birds doesn't and HW3D Poser models don't work in Carrara but the DUF for Daz models do...

why?

I dunno... someone else will have to answer that Q

frown

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

poseeer weight mapping.

something changed in the poser verse.  supposedly La Femme uses new features. but dunno what they are.

sending thanks to tutorial makers using hd.  Thanks!  you know who you are smiley

on the lookout for carrara weight mapping tools video toot

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

I was wondering about YouTube and playlists.  I created a playlist of Carrara tutorials but they are in no order.  Is there a way to put them in order?  Or is there a playlist for beginners already made?  

I searched YouTube for tutorials but got some Blender tutorials.  Any good Carrara ones out?

YouTube playlists go together in the order they are created, which can be anoying for me, because when folks do tutorials chronologically, we end up getting a playlist in reverse! angry

So when I make a playlist of other folks' tutorials (or whatever) I start with the last one and work my way through (or is it the other way around? It's been a while)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

I used to be leery of buying DUF-Only content because of the whole incompatibility with Genesis 3 and 8. However, I gave up that fear and now I just buy whatever I think looks useful (or just plain cool!) to me, unless it's for Genesis 3 or 8. I know many folks here use G3 and 8 stuff, but I'm just not there yet.

For example, I just recently grabbed some really cool DUF-Only products, like The Outpost, Cold Fusion, Dystopian Destruction, Arachnid Class Transport (and many more) and I've had very few issues with them in Carrara. Sometimes the morph/pose dials don't work, but those are controllers for bones, so I can simply move the joints manually with very little effort for my purposes (animation). 

One thing I love about a lot of the modern products is the introduction of Iray materials. Yeah... Iray material setups might not translate directly to Carrara, but the Textures folders contain more maps for us to play with when building our own shaders. I've noticed that there can be big differences in how different artists create materials, so I have to make sure to open the texture folder to look at them, but some of the textures work great in the Shininess channel to alter the angle of highlight differently across the same surface, just like the way they set it up to look in Substance Painter, or whatever they used. Often it'll be the Metallic map that I put in Shininess, but sometimes it's a different one - I have to look.

I still find myself Loving V4, M4 and their family of Generation 4 figures, but I also really love the Genesis 1 and 2 figures as well. Genesis 1 really rocks for me because of my fondness of Generation 4 figures - because Genesis 1 can use Generation 4 texture maps.

• Basic Female preset = V4
    • Basic Male preset = M4
    • Basic Kid preset = K4

So I save my individual Generation 4 shaders to my browser, and then just load them to the appropriate slots on Genesis 1.

Part of the magic of this is that Genesis 1 is unisex. So if I want to use V4 maps on a male character, for example, I can load in the Basic Female Genesis 1 preset, then just change the shape to anything I want, but the UVs still read the V4 map locations, and it works quite well!

Another example - I can use the Genesis 1 Troll maps for any shape I want. Just start with the Troll preset (so the maps line up correctly), then change the shape to anything I want. Great for making Orcs, Goblins, whatever!

For those reasons, I've collected an awful lot of the Genesis 1 line - especially characters and shapes, but clothing as well.

This brings up another cool thing. I've also purchased all of the Generation-to-Genesis products, like A4/H4, V3/M3, etc., so I can buy M3 clothing and hair for my Genesis 1 creations - and I can even use male clothing for females and the other way around. Sure... some things just don't quite work that well... but some things are great!

I must say though... I do find that it's a LOT easier to make loose fitting clothing act like its loose fitting with Generation 4 figures than with any of the Genesis figures. That Auto-follow tends to attempt to keep everything tight to the skin, where a lot of my V4/M4 clothes work much better when I want to add billow morphs and the like. So there's a trade off for everything.

That said, I have my main "Rosie" character in three versions now, and they all look believably similar: V4, Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, so that I can use the best of three worlds.

i thought i saw a tutt on master objects