Am I just slow and too attached, or are new toons popping up rather quickly now?

Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
edited November 2013 in Carrara Discussion

I am not quite certain what to make of that whole Character stuff with Genesis.
First Genesis, then V5 and M5... then came Genesis 2 and a bunch of new Toons like Teens and so on.
Now there us V6 and M6... and that all with 1,5 years. How long have we usually waited until a new generation has been released?

I am still with Michael 4. First I thought about using M5, so I am uptodate with the new technology...

But then came Genesis 2 and now Michael 6. That's happening rather too fast for my taste. It's not only teh amount of money that goes in there within a short frame of time. Also the time, effort and care I put into "creating my character" with all the morphs, textures and ZBrush deforming ...

I am the only one that wants to stick to her "main/signature" characters longer than just a couple of months?

Plus. There is also usally no guarantee that you really can achieve the same facial "build" with the new toons. I found for example M5 not that versatile and you had to buy too many extra morphs to get something done.

Have to admit, I liked the old concept better with the +Morphs and Creature Morphs being good to go... i actually for example never used the ethnic morphs for M4 or V4... I did it all manually with ZBrush or the +Morphs. The only extra morphs I ever bought were the "Perfect..." from Xameva and the UltraMorphs to complete the +Morphs from Daz.

So, I am alone with that kind of feeling?

I really do not mind new stuff. But at this speed... it fills me with great reluctance to constantly throw away my old toons and recreate them from scratch. It's the combination of "shit loads of money + time and effort" all over again *sigh*

Do Michael 4 (Poser, not Daz) clothes for example now fit to Michael 6 with the help of the Autofit Tool, or do I have to buy tons of extra Plugins to smoothen out the kinks? And experience here already inside of Carrara?

I think everyone knows the pain and feeling of having spend money on myriads of clothes and trinkets for their toons. And it hurts extremely if I cannot re-use them properly on the newer toons.
I one of those dboring people who grow attached to certain things and only part with old stuff if the new one is truly better and more versatile and also truly replaces the old without letting something being missed.

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I hate when I buy a car and they just come out with new cars every year… They should stop doing that until my lease is up.

The obvious answer is DON'T COMPULSIVELY BUY. If you like your old figures why replace them?

The not obvious answer is I have no idea what happened that they needed another Genesis so soon. Did some *new* NEWER technology get invented? Does the G2 even work in Carrara? I can't even pretend to be curious. It's just another naked guy/girl, and the promos are some good some pretty bad, but naturally it's White people with a Poser wig on that looks really weird and stiff like it was photoshopped on later.... Naturally I will wait until it's a free bundle in some future version of Carrara. No reason to buy *any* DAZ figures ever if you buy Carrara - you will get them sooner or later.

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited November 2013

Well, while a car usually can always be repaired and receive a new coloring/coating, even if it is the old version of a far newer car -
    3D characters at some point receive not much love anymore.

More and more artists jump on the Genesis train, even at Renderosity it becomes more. No matter if it concerns textures for skin or morphs, hair and so on. Which is only logical since the money comes from there, now.
    Plus, the decent "non-skimpy" armor and fantasy clothes for Gen 4 Characters has become even more rare now.
    Even Xurge3D jumped on the Dawn and Genesis train :-/

That's why it annoys me when they pop up new toons so extremely fast and you never know : "can I use my old stuff with them"

I am actually pretty happy I never bought M5... and V5 Pro Bundle was for a super cheap price back then with 35 $ thanks to that coupon.
    I am not yet convinced about that whole Genesis Auto-Fit stuff.

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on