Version control for Carrara files?

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Does anyone do GIT or Tortoise SVN for versioning Carrara files?
Currently I just save new version periodically, but compressing leads to problems and uncompressed files are often 1-4 GB - so eats up space too fast - which means I can only save so many copies - and when errors happen, often no recent place to roll back to and hours of lost work.

Comments

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Seeing how popular this question was the first time, thought I'd post it again. Does anyone use version control on Carrara files? I end up doing multiple saves on huge files in case something goes wrong - which it often does, and if I don't have a series of saves, I'd be sunk. Happened tonight where I didn't notice eyes and jaw popping out of character's head - needed to salvage character from a few saves back.

Version control only updates the changes - so instead of each file being 1GB - would be very small - but I don't know if there's any info stored in Carrara files that would not work well with GIT. Will do some experimenting when I have time - but never seem to find time so was hoping someone might already have discovered whether or not it works.

Thanks

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

No I haven't used version control. But I have pulled an earlier version out of Time Machine (regular Mac backup util) a couple of times.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

One suggestion would be don't use Carrara's compressed option when you save the file. Use a zip utility app to do that ie WinZIP, 7zip, etc

Or, use a backup utility that zips the file.

I've been using Cobian Backup for years. I have it set so it runs every couple hours. It uses zip compression (and 7zip now as well), it runs in the background, and it will backup open files in the state that they were last saved to disk. You can set locations to copy backups to, including FTP.