Ambient Occlusion issue

magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
edited November 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Hello to all,
does anyone know why some decal don't get transparent in AO mode? I've checked both the light through transparency filters but the outcome is as in the following images; some are good others don't. It's a known bug or what?

1413.jpg
2000 x 1500 - 286K
1451.jpg
2000 x 1500 - 298K
Post edited by magaremoto on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Am I correct in assuming the issue you're having is the circular emblem on the wall in the first image, and the graffiti in the second image is what looks correct?

What are you using for the alpha channel? An image map? Have you compared the settings in the shaders that work versus the shaders that don't to see if there are differences in how they're set up?

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm going out on a limb, but…

AO is a geometry trick, not a "lighting" trick. I believe the set you are using is Stonemason's, and the way he created the decal areas is by adding a "sheet" of geometry that floats in front of the wall - since Poser and D|S do not necessarily have Carrara's way to create a decal in a shader, or possibly he was creating a "morph" way to hide the graffiti.... What you are seeing (I believe) and the reason you are only seeing it under AO, is that the extra layer of geometry is creating a shadow because it hovers close to the wall (AO is a geometry trick…).

There have been discussions in the past about this, and I haven't tried to "fix" one myself under these conditions. You might consider using the morphs or whatever that can hide the graffiti layer, and using carrara's shader room to select the area of the wall and add the decals as a shader layer.… But maybe others have worked with these sets and have come up with other solutions...

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

thank you both
    EP I have checked what you suggest and yes the same decal used for the dirty wall works fine on the wall next to the yellow pole but not on the brick building; I'm going to deepen such strange behaviour
    Holly I was wrong the problem seems to be present even without AO; only with IL checked it vanishes. I hope to get out of this headache

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Have you tried Holly's suggestion about the Morph issue?

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited November 2013

Have you tried Holly's suggestion about the Morph issue?

yes EP I have tried almost everything in my ability; meanwhile, I have identified the guilty, it's an annoying bug related to the GI sky light function: below you can see 2 screenshot, with no sky light checked , with sky light intensity set to 30%. As Holly has pointed out it must be a sort of shadow casted on the wall. So I have used a curve filter in the alpha channel to enhance the contrast between opaque and transparent and here is the amazing result

EDIT: the right sequence from top is: 1-3-4-5-2

d.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 318K
    c.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 317K
    b.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 272K
    30.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 318K
    0.jpg
    1920 x 1050 - 327K
    Post edited by magaremoto on