Twinmotion renders

Comments

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

Just upgraded to Twinmotion 2020, looked at the new features and the ability to now use video materials will be a big help. 

Wendy, looking forward to see your videos using 2020. 

• thedoctorthedoctor Posts: 195

I finally made time to install and play around with TwinMotion yesterday. Wow, real-time rendering is sure liberating. Not to mention the awesome filtering options and weather effects. This is going to completely change my approach to rendering.

To test I set up a scene with my model getting out of a car so I could experiment with filter settings. Switching cars took less than two minutes.

TwinMotionColorFilter.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    TwinMotionFilterHatch.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    TwinMotionBelAir.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Image1_000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited May 2020

sadly it is no longer free crying

that window of opportunity is gone though I tried to tell as many as I could as know how missing out on something feels

that is why I stopped posting in this thread  here, it is still used in many of my videos just unmentioned on this forum

I use it a lot to render and explore various DAZ sets and so easy to populate them

the terrain editing/scultpting and vegetation painting is incredible and the next thing you should explore yes

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

sadly it is no longer free crying

However, Epic is providing a "Free unlimited time trial" for TwinMotion 2020 that is full featured and will not expire. It can't be used commercially, but is perfect for anyone who wants to make personal images and explore the software. Moreover, a license is still extremely inexpensive ($249) for anyone who wants to do commercial work. 

My primary business is creating 3D forensic models for court trials and my jaw dropped when discovered how functional TwinMotion is as a 3D interactive exhibit. It has a "phasing" feature that lets you set up unlimited versions of your model while saving camera views. Tonight I imported a 3D model I created for the Oakland Ghost Ship warehouse fire trial last year and it came into TwinMotion perfectly. I was able to set up a cross section of the structure as well as a version of the post-fire condition, complete with smoke effects (see attached). I sent in my $249 and plan to use this on several future cases!

By the way, I was an early adopter of Poser in 1996 before it was sold to Fractal Designs and I used it to create a number of courtroom exhibits before I finally made the move to Daz Studio and I just love its capabilities. We have so many toys to play with these days. Its a really great time to be a 3D artist and real-time rendering takes my breath away.

Image11_000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Image12_001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Image13_002.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited May 2020

glad to hear

I have been discouraged from pushing it on this forum though for some reason even though I too render DAZ content in it

your renders show how easy it is to populate sets too yes

glad to hear

I have been discouraged from pushing it on this forum though for some reason even though I too render DAZ content in it

I give you props for your excellent videos and for sharing the potential here. To me this is such a great compliment to Daz Studio. 

I adore the Iray rendering system and use it all the time. However, this application makes it so easy to get unique looks. I pulled in Stonemason's Urban Future 7 and it renders so radically different from what I'm used to. The filtering options make it so easy to get a comic-book look:

Cool FIltering Options.jpg
    5100 x 3660 - 6M
    thedoctor said:

glad to hear

I give you props for your excellent videos and for sharing the potential here. To me this is such a great compliment to Daz Studio. 

I adore the Iray rendering system and use it all the time. However, this application makes it so easy to get unique looks. I pulled in Stonemason's Urban Future 7 and it renders so radically different from what I'm used to. The filtering options make it so easy to get a comic-book look:

yes

Ok, just two more renders and I promise I'm done. I really like the look of these filters. So close to an almost "comic" look -- and all in real-time!

Back to work now.

ColorCorrectionFilters3.JPG
    2610 x 1041 - 322K
    ColorCorrectionFilters.JPG
    2402 x 1003 - 398K
  • I signed up for the free version of Twinmotion back when @WendyLuvsCatz mentioned it way back, (thanks BTW) but I never downloaded it. I did sign up for an account though back then so I still have access to it apparently. So now I'm ready to try it out since I upgraded my PC recently. So i logged into unreal/epic and I see I have 3 versions to choose from. I have no idea which one to install. Theres the 2019 (Epic Version), 2020.1 version and 2020.1 trial version. 

If I want to use this potentially with animations that will be commercial use or on youtube, vimeo, patreon, etc am I better off using the 2019 early adopter version? I don't remember the licensing for that one. Does that one allow commercial use? 

edited May 2020

not the trial version cheeky well you could but no need

the other two, I use both

they have different trees and the 2020.1 better people and more features 

also crashier

I prefer the 2019 trees myself as more varieties 

• I installed the 2020.1 version, I like the idea of being able to use background figures in animation, if it crashes on me I'll try the other version. Anyway, I downloaded the OBJ of Urban Sprawl 3, to try to import it but didn't have any luck. It doesn't show up after importing. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I tried to import one building since its a million different OBJs, then it asked for a new path for the texturres, so I located the other textures for the Daz version of US3 in my runtime folder. but then nothing shows up. Is there a better way to import Daz assets n Twinmotion? Should I be exporting from Daz Studio instead in some other format instead of using the OBJ formats that are sometimes provided?

edited May 2020

export from DAZ studio as obj

if you can rotated 180 on X Axis may need to group it
     import y axis up in advanced as does not do negative and most stuff imports upsidedown

collapse all if want one obj

keep hierarchy if want everything in bits

any transmapped stuff needs png with alpha too so need to edit images with opacity maps

am still doing them

• Carnival video

• Wendy, these are great looking videos! The lighting is quite impressive.

edited September 2020

it is rather like a UE4 game  (is made using it) certainly not PBR like iray but considerably faster!

oh and Twinmotion was the other software I was referring to for rendering your mall populated, they don't like me mentioning it on the forum as it is now paid commercial software.

edited November 2020

Oh boy is this a high poly heavy little hut!!!

DAZ Filament could not load the textures (not huge) at all

Carrara struggled with it

I was really pushing Twinmotion too

but it eventually started rendering after an hour of deciding if it wanted to crash my graphics driver I think

went quite fast once it committed itself

update

no cannot render it on my GPU using iray even displacement off angry

edited December 2020

using tne beta Datasmith plugin for Unreal Engine 

no Twinmotion sculpted terrains sadly just the plants so used an imported terrain

most the static furniture and city objects supported not vehicles or people 

• will share one again

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,923

WendyLuvsCatz said:

will share one again

Really nicely done. I have enjoyed watching it. You are so good on making videos.

Thanks Artini heart

most of YouTube disagrees laugh but nice to have some of my peers show support blush

Using some of my many unused i13 sets.

I still have many more not used yet

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited February 2021

Wendy et al,

Just went through the entire thread, watched about 95% of the videos.

I'm just a new-born with this software having installed it and watched some tutorials. All I can say is that there is a massive opportunity here to integrate DAZ moels and DAZ Software / Carrara with Twinmotion.

As always the package has it's strengths and weaknesses. One strength would be to use built-in shaders/textures as opposed to imported ones. I do this often with the Octane plug in for Carrara.

Also the camera motion blur, weather, sunlight, and foliage motion are strengths along with the speed of rendering. I'm hoping someone will say the speed of development (of a scene) is also faster.

The weak points are the built in people if used up close, along with shaders/materials/textures if not handled with care. 

So much scope here and who knows imported animated figures may come in a later release. In the meantime a crazy idea I'd like to explore is to have the exact same set in Carrara as Twinmotion, use Octane (or Iray if using DAZ) and try to match the lighting with Twinmotion, then you can render a foreground layer (or two) with animated characters and foreground props which obscue the characters. Then layer the scene with something like After Effects or maybe Sony Vegas.

I shall be attempting to create scenes with Twinmotion tomorrow (using Daz props). I have also set up Unreal Engine as I understand there are additional options when exporting from Twinmotion to Unreal. I need to explore this. Camera movement needs more control - I've seen pro clips where the camera movement more than compensates for the quality of the models, and we can create fast sequences with motion blur - so a real opportunity here.

Keep up the good work everyone. I'll make some clips when I'm up to speed.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited February 2021

another UE4 scene exported as an obj rendered in Twinmotion

sadly I cannot do these easily in Carrara due to the long surface and shader names being truncated resulting in save errors and shaders unable to be assigned.

DAZ studio as well as Twinmotion do not suffer this issue.
    i sometimes extensively edit obj and mtl if not too big but it's tricky

I do edit the mtl and convert bump to jpg for Twinmotion and DAZ studio, resulting in lowrez textures but no way I can fit them on my 980ti otherwise, it tops 6GB VRAM as it is in both

also both need the textures in the same folder as the obj so my batch convert in irfanview fixes that up nicely too drilling down into the subfolders and collecting them to the top one

Carrara ironically will find them in the subfolders but you cannot as I said save it as a .car file.

the painful solution in notepad is find and replace in both mtl and obj

this one for example MI_Ceiling_Inst_MI_ with say MI_ exactly respecting capitals etc because it will replace stuff in the obj for example it shouldn't otherwise

I keep backups as get it wrong easily

and

it gets worse

I have to rename the shaders and surfaces in Carrara

hundreds of them

@WendyLuvsCatz - Thanks for sharing. I saw that free model as well. Looking forward to playing with it. 

re: the pain of importing textures etc, have you tried just exporting the obj without mtl, and then going through applying Twinmotions built in textures? I realise any printed material (packets etc) will need a texture file but even so, then there is less conversion, and the result will be better as the inbuilt shaders will react with light correctly.

UPDATE - This morning I've spent time in Twinmotion and have a much better idea of what it can do out of the box. I haven't imported yet - that's next. I can also confirm that UE4 has much better Camera functions, so exporting from Twinmotion to UE4 (feature is in beta so misses out some bits) is not such a bad idea. Using Twinmotion to knock up the scene quick, with built-in shaders then exporting for camera control and custom characters is the route I will try to follow. Requires learning UE4 - but I see you are on those boards as well. 

FIRST RENDER. Even though I'm on a new build of Win 10 and I'm fighting with all the "help" it gives slowing the machine down for no good reason, I still managed an average of 24 frames per minute on a 8 year old 8GB machine with medium strength GPU. To put it in perspective that's 24-48 x faster than Carrara-Octane for a small drop in quality if you avoid the naff bits and stick with the good (architecture, scenery, weather).

Pretty impressive.

edited February 2021

yeah that supermarket needs product maps

and actually looking at it in DAZ studio the surface names are even worse devil

Twinmotion will handle the original map exports if you have a good graphics card so no editing needed just all the maps in the same folder

import with hierarchy don't import the terrain ( it shares the fire extinguisher map and ridiculously highpoly)

• DAZ content in Twinmotion is much easier

I group it and rotate it 180 on the x axis then import in TM Y+

edited February 2021

DAZ studio iray, I had to create emission maps

I used the diffuse for ceiling, lights etc as guides

sm00.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 645K

@WendyLuvsCatz - OK thanks for the tips. I am downloading a shed load of free stuff as we speak (type). I'll see if my machine can handle the supermarket. 

That DAZ Iray render looks much better esp. from a lighting point of view. 

Finally spare a thought for us poor late people, looks like I'm going to have to pay for Twinmotion as I wish to present my scripts to Netflix execs etc. I'm guessing publishing to youtube for free is probably ok. The other thing is that 4K exports (commercial version only) are going to become increasingly expected so another reason to buy it. It's been an expensive month. :)