A weird HDRI problem

adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello,

I've been playing with Bryce, wanted to open an HDRI and .... clicking on "open" in the skylab did just nothing.
Restarted the computer but this did not help, it's still the same.
Hope someone has the solution to this problem.
Thanks.

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,270
    edited December 1969

@adbc - Sky Lab > IBL Tab > Use HDRI Image > Open. If the Open button is greyed out if there is a blue dot left of Use HDRI Image, you probably don't use Bryce 7.1 Pro. In this case, check if you're indeed running the Pro version.

If the Open dialog opens but the image doesn't load - the HDRI needs to be in the radiance format with the file type .hdr. The HDRI must be in either 1:1 or 2:1 aspect ratio. If not, it won't load.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited November 2013

A lot of the time because my HRDI backdrops are unorganised, I accidently choose the .jpg preview pic instead of the actual .hdr file.
    If you do that, you don't get a message, it just acts like it's going to load but then doesn't.
    That's the first thing I would check.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited November 2013

Horo said:
    @adbc - Sky Lab > IBL Tab > Use HDRI Image > Open. If the Open button is greyed out if there is a blue dot left of Use HDRI Image, you probably don't use Bryce 7.1 Pro. In this case, check if you're indeed running the Pro version.

If the Open dialog opens but the image doesn't load - the HDRI needs to be in the radiance format with the file type .hdr. The HDRI must be in either 1:1 or 2:1 aspect ratio. If not, it won't load.

Thanks for your reply but I think it's not that simple (I wish).
    I'm using the pro version the "open" button is not grayed out, and I put a dot on the right place, it's just that I click open and nothing happens.

Post edited by adbc on
    edited December 1969

Then I suppose the HDRI file you're trying to load is not a legitimate HDRI file as Bryce wishes.

edited December 1969

@ horo

This is not the case, most of the HDRI files I have are from Daz and were included in the content.
    I downloaded some free ones as well but this is NOT the problem.

Am I so bad in explaining the problem, probably ....

I'll try again (see the image) This is the screen in Bryce and when I click on "open" nothing happens,
    which means no window opens to browse for the image.

Hope this is clear now.

IBL_problem.JPG
    716 x 632 - 82K
    edited December 1969

Strange. At one thing, I was wrong. Even the PLE (personal learning edition) loads an HDRI. It's just that you can't create an HDRI from the sky if you haven't got the Pro version (just checked).

Your screen shot (thank you) shows almost everything correctly. What is irritating is that above the HDRI preview the HDRI Name is "Not set". In my version, the HDRI Name is "current hdrimage" if none has been loaded yet. So the question is what version of Bryce are you running. You find out by clicking in the menu bar Help, hold down the Ctrl key and click on About Bryce. You should see 7.1.0.109.

If you run the most recent version, try this: in the main GUI, click on Create. Hold down the Alt key and click on the tree icon. Does the Open dialog appear?

edited December 1969

@ horo

Thanks for all the information you gave me. After crashing several times, I went to your website and found exactly what has to be in the program file. Did a new installation on another location and found out that the plugin folder disappeared. Yes sometimes things disappear on a computer....

I can load a tree normally and for the time being (never too optimistic where computers are concerned) it seems to work normally and above the little window the text "not set" reappeared.

I think it's time to even close the computer now, 7 to 8 hours a day seem sufficient as far my husband is concerned, and today I went far over the top. But that's always the case when there' s a problem.

Goodnight and thank you.

edited December 1969

That would have been the next I would have suggested: the Plugins folder with the file HDRImport.brh Glad you could make it work.