Suggestion: add info about amount of polygons in the product

This goes for the 3d designers, would be really good if they could add into the product info the polygons count of they products like:

Ex:

full 5 parts fantasy armor

piece A = 80000 tri/polygons

piece B = 80000 tri/polygons

piece C = 80000 tri/polygons

Piece D= 80000 tri/polygons

Piece E = 80000 tri/ polygons

total polygons 400000

Only few rare products have a info about poly count.

Would be really helpfull to all of them to have that info, for peoples to know before buying since, most of the artists here love to go really high poly count, then it could help the users have a idea of how much "big" the scene will be before rendering or like my cases if the product is worth of buying or no, because for game developing a crazy number of polygons never is good and in some cases even using the "decimator not gonna gonna save the day when the ammount is too high or even to loard the scene when you have a really big ammount of polygons in the scene, then knowing it "before buy" would help a lot in the final decision to buy or not.

Comments

• Ellessarr said:

This goes for the 3d designers, would be really good if they could add into the product info the polygons count of they products like:

Would be really helpfull to all of them to have that info, for peoples to know before buying since, most of the artists here love to go really high poly count, then it could help the users have a idea of how much "big" the scene will be before rendering or like my cases if the product is worth of buying or no, because for game developing a crazy number of polygons never is good and in some cases even using the "decimator not gonna gonna save the day when the ammount is too high or even to loard the scene when you have a really big ammount of polygons in the scene, then knowing it "before buy" would help a lot in the final decision to buy or not.

Products with poor topography and really high poly counts is pretty much why i dont buy Daz products anymore, except from a few select people.  I was putting together a character the other day and when it was finished it had 1.13 million polys on it.  After my first round of trimming away extra polys i got it down to around 700k but i still need to do more work on it.

Having said all that, i dont think you'll find many content creators who will go along with your idea willingly. You're basically asking them to add info to their product page that labels their product as having poor design. Seems like it would be better if artists actually put effort into making their products render friendly for not just pictures but animations.  Only other option besides that is for you to create your own stuff and thats something that i'm considering doing myself.

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    Ellessarr said:

Products with poor topography and really high poly counts is pretty much why i dont buy Daz products anymore, except from a few select people.  I was putting together a character the other day and when it was finished it had 1.13 million polys on it.  After my first round of trimming away extra polys i got it down to around 700k but i still need to do more work on it.

Having said all that, i dont think you'll find many content creators who will go along with your idea willingly. You're basically asking them to add info to their product page that labels their product as having poor design. Seems like it would be better if artists actually put effort into making their products render friendly for not just pictures but animations.  Only other option besides that is for you to create your own stuff and thats something that i'm considering doing myself.

yeah, i feel which the real big villians most of the times are "hairs" and beards/mustaches, with they insane "fibermesh", while for realistm it is really awesome, the pollycount is insane, some hairs are soo high poly sometimes which they account for like 90% of the character polycount, which is crazy, also some cloths, also sometimes does have too high polycount, even things like "bikinis", you can find some of then like 10 to 20k poly in a 2 pieces bikini which again for a "bikini" is a lot insane, most of the times is very easy to ending with a character like you told being around "1 million alone while the character himself is around 60k tri, being like around 1% and this the character alone without any scene or "others characters, yeah i would love to see some more "retopoligy being made not just to be "game friend" but to be "anything friend", cuz even for render, unless you have a "NASA" or pixar pc you would get yourself taking even days for a single render in the way many things are doing here.

but as i told would be really, really good if the "polycount" could be added, as optional or requeriment to add new products, because the next daz is already coming and adding even more crazy stuffs and peoples would start to go even more "high" with that.

• Yup, hairs is where i had most of my issues too.  Clothes are a pain too but not as much as hair. Like when modeling clothes i've seen some creators model the tiniest detail which increases the poly count of the model but that tiny detail wont even be seen in a render.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

Using High Resolution and 2 or more levels of Sub division will increase your poly count.  Setting the SubD to 1 will reduce the geometry weight in the scene and so will setting the resolution to base (the lowest it can go)

Poly count is not a big of a resource hog as textures are however.

For a very informative read on this subject, I suggest you read over the info on my promos for this set - https://www.daz3d.com/resource-saver-shaders-collection-for-iray

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2019

Yes, polygon count is meaningless when products use subdivision surfaces.

Post edited by Seven193 on
    edited May 2019
    Mattymanx said:

Using High Resolution and 2 or more levels of Sub division will increase your poly count.  Setting the SubD to 1 will reduce the geometry weight in the scene and so will setting the resolution to base (the lowest it can go)

Poly count is not a big of a resource hog as textures are however.

For a very informative read on this subject, I suggest you read over the info on my promos for this set - https://www.daz3d.com/resource-saver-shaders-collection-for-iray

this is only true  most of the times for base characters(even some characters are high poly due to others reasons like "furs", some of the cloths and most of the hairs already work at base resolution and subd 1, they are made "high poly" without using high resolution, which is the issue, even a character having a high resolution is not a big deal since it normally means he going from 16k to 64k which still a good value for a character the problem really comes from cloths and specially hairs and specially the "fibermesh, which make many products impossible to be used for game dev and making then very taxing even for render, because even a eye brow can go between 50k and 100k polygons, which while it make really big realistic eyebrows, and can make a awesome render, imagine it using with a high poly hair+ in case of male a fibermesh beard which also can easy go around the same or even more polygons as the hairs + cloth this alone could be already like 70 to 80% of the poly count in a single character if you add even more it can be very crazy, i'm not saying which peoples are not allowed to make amazing models but they must remember which even for "render" not everyone have a NASA or pixar pcs which don't means which the majority are using a 286, but the average computers could be something good enough to render and others things scenes with a proper poly count, using good mix of textures.

Well about the textures inside daz, while rendering inside DAZ is not my point then i can say for that but for sure for game design or even "rendering or making animations inside engines like unreal", between poly count and textures, without any doubts polycount is much more demanding than textures, the diference of performance using a 2k full material(difuse+normal+specular+AO+Roughness+Metalical+tesselation) and 4k are much lower than using a let's 32k poly count mesh and a 64k polycoun mesh, a 64k poly mesh with a 2k texture still much more perfomance demanding than a 32k poly mesh with 4k texture, that is why when peoples use that engines for render or make games or game inside cinematics they try to balance the ammount of polygons to not be "too high" to be too demanding neither too low" to not look crap.

that is why would be really good to have a info about poly count and maybe in a future as the daz move more and more to support game engines(not only to make games) some artists start to try to go for that balance too, otherwise if peoples keeping using aways to most demanding ways it gonna be to a point where no one gonna buy it because no pc can handle make a good scene with all that crazy poly count.

Post edited by Ellessarr on

Listing poly count is optional.  Im not sure its something Daz would enforce.  All my models have poly count listed but its only cause I wanted to.

I understand that the requirements for games are far different than Daz Studio.  A game model is usally much lower in polys, has a few textures and one material zone.  But you did not mention games in your OP.  So you will have to forgive me if my answer was one sided in favor of Daz Studio.  Because games have to present a fully rendered image non stop to the player, I think it will be a long time comming before fibermesh hair will ever be used in a game due to the amount of resources required to present it.

• edited May 2019
    Mattymanx said:

But you did not mention games in your OP.  So you will have to forgive me if my answer was one sided in favor of Daz Studio.  Because games have to present a fully rendered image non stop to the player, I think it will be a long time comming before fibermesh hair will ever be used in a game due to the amount of resources required to present it.

They actually did mention games in their OP

"because for game developing a crazy number of polygons never is good"

Post edited by unused account - glossedsfm on

yeah another good way to add it, since many cloths use things like "high quality and subdivision them owner would place the info like that:

set cloth 5 pieces x polycount:

base resolution 50000

resolution level: high resolution (200000): 

Subdivision Level: 1 (x1)

piece 1  polycount:

base resolution polycount: 10000

resolution level: high resolution (40000): 

Subdivision level: 1 (x1)

piece 2  polycount:

base resolution polycount: 10000

piece 3  polycount:

piece 4  polycount:

piece 5  polycount:

with this type of info could make more easy for peoples know how much poly they are using inside and outside DAZ and have a better control/knowledge and know what they are buying if is worth or no to try.

Mattymanx said:

But you did not mention games in your OP.  So you will have to forgive me if my answer was one sided in favor of Daz Studio.  Because games have to present a fully rendered image non stop to the player, I think it will be a long time comming before fibermesh hair will ever be used in a game due to the amount of resources required to present it.

They actually did mention games in their OP

"because for game developing a crazy number of polygons never is good"

I glossed over it.

Ellessarr said:

yeah another good way to add it, since many cloths use things like "high quality and subdivision them owner would place the info like that:

set cloth 5 pieces x polycount:

base resolution 50000

resolution level: high resolution (200000): 

Subdivision Level: 1 (x1)

piece 1  polycount:

base resolution polycount: 10000

piece 2  polycount:

piece 3  polycount:

piece 4  polycount:

piece 5  polycount:

with this type of info could make more easy for peoples know how much poly they are using inside and outside DAZ and have a better control/knowledge and know what they are buying if is worth or no to try.

The best you can do is submit a ticket asking for that to be done.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

In the past I and others have asked about adding wire shaded images but the idea didn't go over so well, so I doubt there is any chance polygon count would be added.