Animating to different textures in C8.5 pro

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I want to have a simple plane that changes from one texture / image to another over time.

I thought you just had to choose texture in the color channel, then navigate to the desired image; then move the current time indicator, and repeat the process to have the plane transition from one image to the next.

That's not working - whatever image I choose last takes over.

I do have Shoestring shaders which had a feature that let you do this - I'll have to find my notes to remember how - but isn't this a standard feature of Carrara? Am I doing something wrong or can't you animate from one texture image to another?

Thanks.

Comments

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Use "operators" - "mixer" in the color channel, then, choose a different texture for each source.
    Use value 0-100 as the blender.

To change the texture, move the value over time.
    You can blend them, or use a discrete tweener in the timeline to make a sudden keyframe change in the texture.

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

Thanks McGyuiver -
    that worked perfectly.

Out of curiosity, is there a simple way to do this if you want to shift between 5-10 textures instead of just 2?

(Shoestring shaders gives you that functionality, but I was wondering if you could replicate that in carrara with multiple mixers, each pair controlled as you described or if it would simply get too convoluted.

Thanks

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

yes use an image series, number them (image name n) and import as image series
    to get a fade can open the series in virtualdub, use box doubler filter few times and add motion blur filter, re-export as image series.
    to adjust speed or change use the slider under the map and keyframes produced from it.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Thanks McGyuiver -
    that worked perfectly.

Out of curiosity, is there a simple way to do this if you want to shift between 5-10 textures instead of just 2?

(Shoestring shaders gives you that functionality, but I was wondering if you could replicate that in carrara with multiple mixers, each pair controlled as you described or if it would simply get too convoluted.

Thanks

Yes, you can stack the mixers & yes it can get complicated.

I have Shoestring Shaders "Supermixer", but am not really familiar with it's use.....just haven't played with it yet.