[Released] Hair Converter from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 3 Female [Commercial]

RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376

Finally, use your favorite Genesis 8 Female Hair without limitations on your Genesis 3 Females! Automatically convert almost your entire library of Hair items using the new Hair Converter from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 3 Female! The Hair Converter scripts provide batch execution for automatically converting, including morphs and rigging, your Genesis 8 Female Hair to Genesis 3 Female Hair in your library. Easily select the hair items in your library, select an output directory, and execute the script. Even better, icons and categories are copied from your original Genesis 8 Female hair to the new Genesis 3 Female hair items.

Your new Genesis 3 Female hair is completely Smart Content aware! They will show up when you select a Genesis 3 Female. Plus, all materials shown in Smart Content for your Genesis 8 Female item will show for your converted Genesis 3 Female item.

The Hair Converter script does not work with wearables (e.g., multi-pair hair). Items without metadata can be converted but will not show up in Smart Content. They may also need to be converted using a Force Convert Item(s) button.

• Convert Genesis 8 Hair for use by Genesis 3 female characters.
  • Keep the rigging of your beautiful, long Genesis 8 Hair for use by Genesis 3 characters.
  • Copies icons from Genesis 8 hair to Genesis 3 hair for a professional look.
  • Converted Hair is Smart Content enabled! All materials shown in Smart Content for your Genesis 8 item will show for your converted Genesis 3 item.
  • Automatically convert your entire library of hair with one operation!

Features

• Hair Converter from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 3 Female:
    • Hair Converter Script (.DSE)
    • Detailed user Guide (.PDF)
main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 763K
popup_1.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 270K
popup_2.jpg
1488 x 1000 - 353K
popup_3.jpg
2000 x 2363 - 1M
popup_4.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 458K
popup_5.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 390K
popup_6.jpg
1778 x 1000 - 386K
Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

Happy dance time! 

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376
    Cybersox said:

Happy dance time! 

LOL

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952

I'm watching .........is it ready yet?

Not quite yet. smiley

How about now ?

Now smiley

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,953

Do you have a V4 to G8 hair converter planned?

Probably smiley  SY and I have not discussed it yet.  Sales have been going down each generation which doesn't help.

• Could you explain what this means, and maybe give an example of a hair item like this?

"The Hair Converter script does not work with wearables (e.g., multi-pair hair)."

Thank you.

Hahaahhhaha it's  mine!!

Could you explain what this means, and maybe give an example of a hair item like this?

"The Hair Converter script does not work with wearables (e.g., multi-pair hair)."

Thank you.

It should read "multi-part hair", hair that loads in multiple separate pieces.

carrie58 said:

Hahaahhhaha it's  mine!!

Well that took you forever! smiley

carrie58 said:

Hahaahhhaha it's  mine!!

Yeah well it's getting harder to find change in the sofa  lately .......what can I say ?laugh

carrie58 said:
    carrie58 said:

Hahaahhhaha it's  mine!!

Yeah well it's getting harder to find change in the sofa  lately .......what can I say ?laugh

LOL.  You must be looking in your own sofa!  You need to visit friends and look in theirs. smiley

• Could you explain what this means, and maybe give an example of a hair item like this?

Thank you.

Thanks. Could you give an example of a hair like this? I'm wondering, for example, if it means hair that has separate poseable bones.

Could you explain what this means, and maybe give an example of a hair item like this?

Thank you.

Thanks. Could you give an example of a hair like this? I'm wondering, for example, if it means hair that has separate poseable bones.

No, it has nothing to do with bones.  The "Double Tails Hair! Genesis 8 Femaile Preset Longtails" is an example.  This preset loads in the base and longtails.  The script needs to convert base and longtails separately.

• No, it has nothing to do with bones.  The "Double Tails Hair! Genesis 8 Femaile Preset Longtails" is an example.  This preset loads in the base and longtails.  The script needs to convert base and longtails separately.

Got it, makes sense. Thanks!

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited June 2019

Probably smiley  SY and I have not discussed it yet.  Sales have been going down each generation which doesn't help.

it's the law of diminishing returns, I'm afraid. Every time someone converts a new generation of products, they suddenly have a whole new toy box of things to play with, so the need to convert yet another generation doesn't have as high a priority. Add to that the fact that there's a lot more work involved in converting anything pre-Genesis 3 due to Iray materials, and that there's a lot of duplication with products that cover multiple generations. I think that original Genesis is probably the worst of these, as a large percentage of my "Genesis" hairs were either V4/Genesis or Genesis/Genesis 2 combo products.  Despite having over 200 "Genesis" hair products, I really only needed the GF1 to G8fproduct for about 30 of them. Still a great deal, of course, but nothing like the economy gained when converting 200+ G3 products to G8 or vice a versa.  Although I'll continue buying all of these as you release them, the  last two "biggies" that I'm really waiting on are V4 and M4 to the G3s, as I have close to a thousand of those. :-) edit - Oh, and G8M to G3m too, of course. :)

Post edited by Cybersox on
    Cybersox said:

it's the law of diminishing returns, I'm afraid. Every time someone converts a new generation of products, they suddenly have a whole new toy box of things to play with, so the need to convert yet another generation doesn't have as high a priority. Add to that the fact that there's a lot more work involved in converting anything pre-Genesis 3 due to Iray materials, and that there's a lot of duplication with products that cover multiple generations. I think that original Genesis is probably the worst of these, as a large percentage of my "Genesis" hairs were either V4/Genesis or Genesis/Genesis 2 combo products.  Despite having over 200 "Genesis" hair products, I really only needed the GF1 to G8fproduct for about 30 of them. Still a great deal, of course, but nothing like the economy gained when converting 200+ G3 products to G8 or vice a versa.  Although I'll continue buying all of these as you release them, the  last two "biggies" that I'm really waiting on are V4 and M4 to the G3s, as I have close to a thousand of those. :-) edit - Oh, and G8M to G3m too, of course. :)

Yeah.  And also not all people have the older generations.  I started with G3 and only slowly started acquiring older stuff (once I knew I could convert them smiley)

• No, it has nothing to do with bones.  The "Double Tails Hair! Genesis 8 Femaile Preset Longtails" is an example.  This preset loads in the base and longtails.  The script needs to convert base and longtails separately.

Unfortunately, it seems like the converter might not work on hair with bones. I experienced the same problem with SY's "SY Genesis 8 Clones for Genesis 3".

For example, I converted Vertigo Ponytail for G8. If I add the converted hair to a stock G3F character, setting her Height to 75%, the ponytail itself floats above the head (see the render below).

As I understand the situation based on this discussion with SY and others, it's not easy to back-convert hair with bones.

Do you know of a work-around for this problem?

No, it has nothing to do with bones.  The "Double Tails Hair! Genesis 8 Femaile Preset Longtails" is an example.  This preset loads in the base and longtails.  The script needs to convert base and longtails separately.

Unfortunately, it seems like the converter might not work on hair with bones. I experienced the same problem with SY's "SY Genesis 8 Clones for Genesis 3".

For example, I converted Vertigo Ponytail for G8. If I add the converted hair to a stock G3F character, setting her Height to 75%, the ponytail itself floats above the head (see the render below).

As I understand the situation based on this discussion with SY and others, it's not easy to back-convert hair with bones.

Do you know of a work-around for this problem?

Oh, no, I don't.  I had seen this issue sporadically but never connected it with height.  I think it is a limitation of the conversion sad

• Bright ShadowBright Shadow Posts: 63
    edited June 2019

Oh, no, I don't.  I had seen this issue sporadically but never connected it with height.  I think it is a limitation of the conversion sad

Okay. That makes sense, since the underlying technique I was aware of has this problem. When I saw "Hair Converter from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 3 Female" I wondered whether you might have found a fix. Thanks for the reply.

Post edited by Bright Shadow on

Okay. That makes sense, since the underlying technique I was aware of has this problem. When I saw "Hair Converter from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 3 Female" I wondered whether you might have found a fix. Thanks for the reply.

No problem.  Sorry it isn't a better answer.

• amysparklesamysparkles Posts: 98
    edited March 2021

I recently purchased this converter and managed to have a little play with it today.

I converted eight different hairstyles. Four converted to G3 perfectly fine and work well with the Growing Up Youth Morphs. All these hairs were by the same vendor - 3DUniverse.

However, three G8-G3 conversions did not fit the hair properly to the G3 scalp. Instead, the three hairstyles were placed somewhere inside G3F's head. No amount of morph slider settings fixed that. The same thing happened with both the G3 base figure, and after applying the Youth Morph. Coincidentally all these hairs were from EmmaandJordi. I really like their hairstyles as they work well with the Youth Morph and render quickly in both 3Delight and Iray. So it is sad they're not fitting correctly.

Another point I will add here, is that I also attempted to convert hairs that had already been converted from V4 to G8F. I had hoped at least some of them would convert again from G8 to G3, but unfortunately they do not appear to have worked. At least, they're not in the folder I specified and smart content is not detecting them. So I think they did not convert.

I also tried converting a DForce hair from G8 to G3, and Daz Studio crashed during the conversion process.

I will attempt some other hairstyles from different merchants later and see if there's a pattern. It seems though that the hair converter does not like EmmaandJordi hairs. Is there any reason why this happens?

Post edited by amysparkles on

amysparkles said:

I recently purchased this converter and managed to have a little play with it today.

I converted eight different hairstyles. Four converted to G3 perfectly fine and work well with the Growing Up Youth Morphs. All these hairs were by the same vendor - 3DUniverse.

However, three G8-G3 conversions did not fit the hair properly to the G3 scalp. Instead, the three hairstyles were placed somewhere inside G3F's head. No amount of morph slider settings fixed that. The same thing happened with both the G3 base figure, and after applying the Youth Morph. Coincidentally all these hairs were from EmmaandJordi. I really like their hairstyles as they work well with the Youth Morph and render quickly in both 3Delight and Iray. So it is sad they're not fitting correctly.

Another point I will add here, is that I also attempted to convert hairs that had already been converted from V4 to G8F. I had hoped at least some of them would convert again from G8 to G3, but unfortunately they do not appear to have worked. At least, they're not in the folder I specified and smart content is not detecting them. So I think they did not convert.

I also tried converting a DForce hair from G8 to G3, and Daz Studio crashed during the conversion process.

I will attempt some other hairstyles from different merchants later and see if there's a pattern. It seems though that the hair converter does not like EmmaandJordi hairs. Is there any reason why this happens?

A lot of EmmaAndJordi are hair with hats integrated.  The converter cannot convert multipart hair.

For the V4->G8-G3, I would need to see the log on trying to convert one of them to tell you more.  You might have to try Force Convert.

• Two of the three EmmaAndJordi hairs I tried to convert did not have integrated hats. The third one did though, so I think I can understand why that one did not work.

The two hairs without hats that I attempted are Rowana Hair and Elsinor Hair.

Not sure how EmmaAndJordi construct their hair models, but I think if I was going to build a hairstyle I would probably start by constructing a base mesh model to work from. Then I can build all my styles on that. So maybe EmmaAndJordi built all their hairs from the same basic construct - which includes a part for hats? If that's the case, could it be the converter is seeing Rowana Hair and Elsinor hair as having hats, even though they do not?

Thankfully I have not encounterd any other issues with the G8 to G3 converter though. :)

I think I did attempt a force convert on the V4-G8 to G8-G3 conversion. I will try one again later and copy the log entries.

• Okays, I just tried a Force Convert on one preconverted V4-G8 hairsyle and that worked. Thank you! :)

The issue I encountered with the V4-G8 conversions is still a problem though. So I'll mention that on your V4-G8 hair converter thread.

amysparkles said:

Two of the three EmmaAndJordi hairs I tried to convert did not have integrated hats. The third one did though, so I think I can understand why that one did not work.

The two hairs without hats that I attempted are Rowana Hair and Elsinor Hair.

Not sure how EmmaAndJordi construct their hair models, but I think if I was going to build a hairstyle I would probably start by constructing a base mesh model to work from. Then I can build all my styles on that. So maybe EmmaAndJordi built all their hairs from the same basic construct - which includes a part for hats? If that's the case, could it be the converter is seeing Rowana Hair and Elsinor hair as having hats, even though they do not?

If you post the log on the failed conversion, I can tell you more

Thankfully I have not encounterd any other issues with the G8 to G3 converter though. :)

I think I did attempt a force convert on the V4-G8 to G8-G3 conversion. I will try one again later and copy the log entries.

I am glad the force convert worked for you!

• amysparklesamysparkles Posts: 98
    edited March 2021

Well, I was recreating the issue and now the hairs I mentioned convert perfectly fine.

The only difference was this time round I converted the hairs one at a time. In my original attempt, I just loaded up all my G8 EmmaAndJordi Hairs and batch converted them. So I think something must have gone wrong during the batch conversion process. In the future, I will remember to convert hairs one at a time.

Oddly enough, even the hair with the hat (Liberty Hair) converted perfectly fine on its own. Though I think it might have been this hair that triggered the balagan during the previous batch conversion.

Post edited by amysparkles on

amysparkles said:

Well, I was recreating the issue and now the hairs I mentioned convert perfectly fine.

The only difference was this time round I converted the hairs one at a time. In my original attempt, I just loaded up all my G8 EmmaAndJordi Hairs and batch converted them. So I think something must have gone wrong during the batch conversion process. In the future, I will remember to convert hairs one at a time.

Oddly enough, even the hair with the hat (Liberty Hair) converted perfectly fine on its own. Though I think it might have been this hair that triggered the balagan during the previous batch conversion.

Interesting.  You can usually can batch convert hairs with no issue, but it sounds like one of the hairs caused the script (or even DS) to partially crash and then all subsequent conversions were messed up.