Spotlight turns the scene dark

SoapdishSoapdish Posts: 29

So I've started using Daz for a few days now. Haven't watched tutorials and been trying to figure out things on my own.

When I place a new spot light, it turns the room dark, with the only light source coming from the spotlight.

If I undo or delete the light, it will go away.

Is this normal? 

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Yes it is normal. Whenever you add a light to a scene like that it overrides the default lighting so you are left with whatever lights you have added. A spotlight tends to be directional, so it normally won't light the entire scene. You must add some other light source if you wish the entire scene lit with an ambient light.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

Hit "CTRL+L"! :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    LenioTG said:

That turns Preview Lights off, useful if you want light for scene set-up but not if you want it for the render.

• SoapdishSoapdish Posts: 29
    edited May 2019
    SixDs said:

Yes it is normal. Whenever you add a light to a scene like that it overrides the default lighting so you are left with whatever lights you have added. A spotlight tends to be directional, so it normally won't light the entire scene. You must add some other light source if you wish the entire scene lit with an ambient light.

Good to know. I thought I was accidentally hitting some short cuts.

Thanks for the help guys!

Post edited by Soapdish on
  • smb675smb675 Posts: 12

LenioTG said:

Thank you for a useful to the point abswer!!!!!

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

LenioTG said:

I remember the day CTRL+L changed my life! Before that day I added distant lights from 4 directions and never had the good WIP light while posing and setting a scene.

Many Daz Studio users don't know about this magic shortcut...