Any Other Carrara/Vue Users?

I do about 95% of my animation in Carrara, but I also use Poser, Vue and other programs for specific things.  In particular, VUE has always been a great asset for outdoor environments, with entire detailed landscapes (e.g. town included!) from vendors like Luigi Marini at the old Cornucopia3D shop, now MIA for a few years.  With Carrara's shadow catchers, the animated Carrara figures can be made to look very much like part of the same scene.

In any case, E-On Software has risen from the dead (they say their site got hacked), but is offering only subscription for VUE.  And I can't find most of the old Cornucopia3D products anywhere, although E-on seems to think they will revive it ... someday.  Anybody else got an opinion on the future of VUE?

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Tried an old magazine freebie of Vue 8 a long time ago, but at that time they sold lots of modules to get basic functions, so in the end Vue was pricey. Lots of other companies are going rental only, if it keeps them alive, it is good for pro users. Still a bit pricey for hobby use...
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

got caught buying content locked to one version locked to one computer, left me less than impressed

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Yes, the old way had too many choices of modules, I ended up getting "Vue Complete" that had all the modules, but still didn't have all the content of the higher price versions, so some of the purchased landscapes I mentioned didn't load all the plants, e.g. (You could, of course, purchase them separately)   And yes, the "locked" versions were irritating, although the really big landscapes were only gonna work in VUE anyway. 

I have to say they did get me running after the death and resurrection, seemed to be a problem with my registration code, but the help person stayed after it through a lengthy email echange.  I dread the thought of putting it on a new computer.  I will have to give it a try, though, some of my best models are VUE only.  This 5 minute video has a Steampunk Helicopter (~2:00) and a Steampunk Submarine (~3:00), both great models from Peter Pohle who disappeared from the old Cornucooia3D a while back.  (It also has the great Spirit Of Punk Airship from Ravnheart here at DAZ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdOd9ckzAjs&t=20s