Carrara Won't let me open a Preset or Landscape scene...

staticstatic Posts: 325
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara 8.5 Pro Build 243 (64 Bit)
Whenever I open Carrara, the only scene it allows me to open is an Empty Scene. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Did you install the large Carrara native content? If so, did you install it to it's default location?

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

Yes to both

edited December 1969

Um, exactly how large is large, because my installer says its only 157.4 Kb

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

Hi,

you need this.

rk.

c_8_native_content.jpg
    928 x 725 - 126K
    edited December 1969

Don't recall exactly how large, but it should be well over 100 MB.

edited December 1969

Oh, well the one I have is:
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content 157.40 KB

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh, well the one I have is:
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content 157.40 KB

Yes that is what I have

I isntalled Carrara onto my D drive, not the C drive, was advised to make a folder called carrara. install both Carrara and the content there, then drag the folders out of the content folder into the main folder, and mine all work proeprlyu, and I am a complete beginner.

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    the native Content for Carrara 8.5 is the same as for Carrara 8.

Carrara 8 Native Content (round 180 MB) includes:
    - The scenes (landscape, skies, special effects...) and
    - the presets (shaders, objects, plants...).

Carrara 8.5 Native Content (1.80 MB) includes:
    - Hair Caps for Genesis and Genesis 2 Female
    - Shaders > Skin > Genesis > Victoria 5 > Bree and Gabi
    - Sahders > Skin > Genesis > Michael 5 > James and Philip

Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content (157.40 KB) includes:
    - Shaders > Skin > Genesis > Michael 5 > Bejamin
    - Shaders > Skin > Genesis > Victoria 5 > Tori

Hope, that helps.

rk.

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As I recall, Content 8.5 is not the same. I am not sure what DAZ did in packaging the content files, but I had this same problem. I installed the Content 8.0 files and everything worked fine.

If you haven't installed 8.0 content, I suggest you try that.

edited December 1969

Hi Chohole, thanks that helped. I didn't consider where it installed, Apparently something went wrong with my 8.0 uninstall, and my 8.5 installed in one place, but its pointers looked in the other location. I did a thourough uninstall and reg cleaning to make sure I got them both off, then reinstalled 8.5
    All works perfect now! :)

edited December 1969

Glad you got it sorted out! DIM and Smart content have screwed my old responses (along with C8.5) to some of these installation issues.

• DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Finally found this thread - good. Had the same problem (on a Mac), but I figured out that you can manually add the folders that are in the C85 Folder so I just added the Scenes folder to the Scenes tab it the tray - the Objects and Shaders Folders are in the Presets folder... ugh.

I hate how hard this all is to organize (esp the Content folders). I may have to start a new thread on this because I'm suddenly very aggravated.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

dbuchter said:
    Finally found this thread - good. Had the same problem (on a Mac), but I figured out that you can manually add the folders that are in the C85 Folder so I just added the Scenes folder to the Scenes tab it the tray - the Objects and Shaders Folders are in the Presets folder... ugh.

I hate how hard this all is to organize (esp the Content folders). I may have to start a new thread on this because I'm suddenly very aggravated.

Right. It is much less irritating, I think, to simply install the Native content again to the 8.5 location - as it also adds all of the Wizard stuff. I've never tried using one of the Wizards yet. But I've learned that Native Content holds all of that stuff.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 2013

While on this subject, allow me to point out that my Carrara Walkthrough articles, even though still mostly under development, have some good tips on getting stuff situated for a long term goal of glee within Carrara. Once you crack the code on how easily we can organize our stuff in the browser, it really begins to shine as an excellent file sorting system, complete with thumbnails if you choose to use them (I love thumbnails, personally).

Currently in the walkthrough, that I feel are a good read on this subject are:

Your Carrara Browser - Making great stuff isn’t as cool if you can’t remember where you put it. Let’s get some good habits going right from the start

Daz Install Manager - Installing Custom Poser Runtimes - Basic walkthrough of designing your own custom runtime structure

Navigating in Carrara - some good tips on how to get around the work space, go to where you want to be at specific times, and how to send stuff to specific locations within your scene

I am also currently writing an article on getting started in Carrara for the Carrara Cafe. I've been working on it on and off for a while now, and it will be fairly lengthy, but a good all around set of instructions on getting comfortable in Carrara. Once you're good and comfy, Carrara becomes the place to be as so many things are possible.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on