8.0 Serial number no longer working

TurnerTurner Posts: 116
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all -

Last Wednesday I discovered my copy of 8 would no longer open. For some reason I have two serial numbers in my account, but neither worked.

I sent in a support request but have not heard anything yet.

Any thoughts what may be causing this?

Also - not sure about this, but was there ever a free upgrade to 8.5? I could swear when I purchased 8, 8,5 was included when available, but I can't seem to find any evidence of that now.

Last: I don't see upgrade pricing in the shop. Where is it?

thanks-
Andrew

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Turner said:
    Hi all -

Last Wednesday I discovered my copy of 8 would no longer open. For some reason I have two serial numbers in my account, but neither worked.

I sent in a support request but have not heard anything yet.

Any thoughts what may be causing this?

Also - not sure about this, but was there ever a free upgrade to 8.5? I could swear when I purchased 8, 8,5 was included when available, but I can't seem to find any evidence of that now.

Last: I don't see upgrade pricing in the shop. Where is it?

thanks-
    Andrew

There was no free upgrade to 8.5 that I am aware of. If you had 8 you could use the public beta of 8.5…

To purchase 8.5 I believe there is a dropdown box when you scroll down the description(?) window… When I go to the page it is only listed as PURCHASED so I have no options to buy… Either that or you put it in your cart and then can adjust to "upgrade" pricing if it detects you are eligible….

Not sure why you have two serials in your acct unless one of them is the beta, which has expired (would explain why it doesn't work). Did you try the other serial?

• TurnerTurner Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

Hi Holly -

Yeah, it may be that I'm thinking of the free 8.5 Beta.

Anyway - I have two serial numbers and tried both. Neither worked... :(

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,368
    edited December 1969

Carrara 8 64 bit is opening OK here. You may need to open a support ticket if you are sure it's 8.0 that isn't opening, and that you should have a license for it.

edited December 2013

Hi Richard -

Thanks for the note. I'm sure... and I have TWO licenses for some reason!

I opened the support ticket last week. Just got notification a little while ago today that it is active.

cheers
    Andrew

Post edited by Turner on
    edited December 1969

One week without a reply from DAZ.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

in the meantime you could try resetting the date on your computer ....... to a previous date when the sn worked....

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    in the meantime you could try resetting the date on your computer ....... to a previous date when the sn worked....

Ah... interesting thought, but no thanks. I'd never want to take a chance with incorrect date stamps screwing up anything, especially backups.

edited December 1969

From DAZ:

"Hi Andrew,

Sorry, but Carrara 8 is not supported in the recent Mac OS 10.9. The securities settings were changed in the OS and Carrara 8 was last developed over two years ago.

However, Carrara 8.5 Pro is definitely supported in Mac OS 10.9. I would recommend that you uninstall Carrara 8 from Mac OS 10.9.

I recommend that you use Install Manager to install Carrara 8.5 Pro.

Make sure you also install

Carrara 8 Native Content
    Carrara 8.5 Native Content
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content

Install Manager can be used to install the above files also.

Please let me know the status of this issue."

Only issue (which I've mailed and poster here in another thread) is that the installer doesn't work.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Not sure what the issue is. Is it because they missed the boat on your issue, or seem to know what your other issue was? Prior to C8.5's release, if you looked at the Carrara 8 page, it clearly said that versions of OS X past whatever number weren't supported.

Remember, DAZ does have a record of what you have purchased, so if you say 8.0 stopped working, and you have two serial numbers, perhaps one of them is C8.5 and they're suggesting you install it, instead of C8.0, because their records would indicate you have C8.5. I don't think there's a big brother thing going on here if that is what you're getting at, about the C8.5 instructions they sent.

If you don't have C8.5, it may be their not-so-subtle hint to get it. ;-)

edited December 1969

I upgraded to 8.5, re-installed the installer, and everything seems to be working fine :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Glad you got it working!

One thing I've said before is that DAZ could make the whole installation process a bit less- opaque- for lack of a better word. It's a complex program, so if the intimidation factor is high just installing it, imagine how that effects the perception of someone opening the software for the first time!

Happy Rendering!