Daz installer - probably an obvious answer clothed in mystery

RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I just purchased Tim Payne's "Carrara Skies volume 1"
I opted to use the Daz installer. All appeared to go well.
One issue - I can't find the resource anywhere in my Carrara content browser.

Is There steps that I am not aware of?
Best practices? Anything?

I am on a macbook pro "Maverick's"

Thank you in advance for helping me find my way:)

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

To better help you, I tried the "ReadMe" feature of the DIM, which (still) annoyingly is useless at the time. I know they will fix it, but... oh well...

The problem I'm having is that I'm not certain if my files are still where they were when installed, or if I moved them. Here goes:

I have no clue how MAC's work. On Windows, you go to the installation directory for Carrara: C > Program Files > DAZ 3D > Carrara_xxx

Inside that directory you'll find the "ReadMe's" folder. Mine contains a folder inside of that called: "Carrara Skies PDF", which contains an excellent pdf manual. This is a MUST READ

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807
    edited December 1969

I haven't had much luck installing Carrara content using DIM on a Mac. I usually install it manually. Even after using DIM you can manually tell Carrara where it is. Go to the Scenes or Objects tab (I can't remember where skies belong.) Click on the "document" icon on the right and select "Add folder". Navigate to the folder that was installed by DIM and select it. It should now appear properly in your browser.

edited December 1969

Do read the pdf.
    There's more to this product than one, simple Add Folder, for you must do it in more places than one, and Tim explains all of that.

At first, the DIM wasn't a viable option for installing Carrara content. It has since been fixed and works rather well - on Windows machines anyways... but I'd be willing to bet that it works on MAC as well.

The thing is that Carrara's browser won't just automatically add folders to the browser - unless folders are added to folders that already exist in the browser - so we must add them manually. My products show up automatically because I was lucky enough to find folders that work well with what I was adding - but this certainly is not always the case.

That all being said, what Brian mentions above is correct. We must all get used to finding product installation folders and add them to our browsers.

On one of my installations of Carrara, I even made a single folder for each category of the browser, within their folder name in the "Presets" folder called "DAZ" and then another DAZ folder in Scenes. Then I used the Add Folder option to add those folders to my browser. Then I would drag all of my installed products into their respective DAZ folder, so they would all show up under the "DAZ" category at the bottom of each browser category.

Oh, right. Know that, when you "Add Folder" to the browser using the File/Folder menu in Carrara, the new folder gets added to the bottom of the existing list.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Also, even if a product is installed to an existing folder, if Carrara is running at the time, then it won't see it. You would need to quit Carrara and relaunch it. The exception being if you drag and drop something from within Carrara to the file browser.

edited December 1969

Also, even if a product is installed to an existing folder, if Carrara is running at the time, then it won't see it. You would need to quit Carrara and relaunch it. The exception being if you drag and drop something from within Carrara to the file browser.
    ...or you can select the folder in question and hit the File/Folder menu icon and choose: "Update Folder" ;)
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

...or you can select the folder in question and hit the File/Folder menu icon and choose: "Update Folder" ;)

You could.... IF you wanted to be all efficient and stuff! :P