Fur_test.jpg
2000 x 1500 - 183K

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Very cool! Nice job on the dyno-fur!

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

Thank you DB. I just was curious if it would work in Carrara, but I think the Carrara Fur looks even better ;-)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Alas, I have never been able to make fur/hair work in Carrara. Maybe if evilproducer and/or Dartanbeck hang out at my place for a couple of weeks...

(PS: I have beer!)

I really should try playing with hair some time.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Alas, I have never been able to make fur/hair work in Carrara. Maybe if evilproducer and/or Dartanbeck hang out at my place for a couple of weeks...

(PS: I have beer!)

That would be the only hair you could play with! :P

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

That would be the only hair you could play with! :P

Well; since it seems I'm returning to bachelor mode again, I can revert to my usual Sasquatch state of fuzzy... ;)

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

One thing to note with cararra fur, is it's dependant on surface normals (or it seems to be). I've noticed a few products that turn out wonky till you make sure all the normals face outwards. There's a set from Rendo called BC that has a lot of inverted polys that aren't noticeable in render, but do create problems when you add fur. I mentioned that one because it does use displacement maps for fur that look fine, but cararra fur looks fugly till it's fixed.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I benefit from this thread to pose the problem of the animation of hairs : which are the best way to obtain hair which behaves normally?
    I am explained, after having used all the tools to create a beautiful hairstyle, as soon as simulation is made, the hairs are as in the storm with a lot of of wind, they do not remain stable.
    Which are the ideal adjustments?

edited December 1969

I benefit from this thread to pose the problem of the animation of hairs : which are the best way to obtain hair which behaves normally?
    I am explained, after having used all the tools to create a beautiful hairstyle, as soon as simulation is made, the hairs are as in the storm with a lot of of wind, they do not remain stable.
    Which are the ideal adjustments?

That is the million dollar question! If you figure that out, there are a lot of peopl that would probably pay for that information. With my old computer, I only use the dynamic hair for still images due to the calculations, but occasionally I will try a small test.

To retain the shape, try the stiffness and hair shape slider in the Dynamic Tab.

The other thing I've read is to grow it on a hair cap, and use a low poly figure or proxy object for the hair to collide against. A V4 or M4 (and I assume Genesis) is going to be to high of poly count.

Someone here made a low poly conforming figure for V4, but I can't for the life of me remember who.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

PhilW on sharecg

edited December 1969

Thanks Wendy! His name kept popping into my head, but I didn't want to steer DUDU wrong.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 2013

http://www.daz3d.com/real-furs

Am a noob but this works for me!

I use this product a LOT after using Carrara hair for density and styling, length to start. Then apply the one that suits. EG, there's a brown with auburn in it that works great. Once loaded, you can then tweak the length, thickness, tips, roots and change it to something completely different. I even use Real Furs to create grasses! You can go into the shading tree and change the colours anyway you want. You can always go back into Cararra hair and just lengthen or cut certain sections... for me it gives interesting textures and blends to tweak.

I found you can change the Carrara hair setting back and forth from fur to hair even whilst using this product.... and use the push utility to keep bald spots at bay. Phil has a good tut on Infinite Skills on hair which helped before I got this product. Now I am in heaven as most of my characters wear animal furs or use them in daily life. Excuse rambling, still on painkllers. Nice fur Eddy!

xx :) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

Whoa... Silene, Thank you!
    I don't recall ever seeing this product before. Sweet!

Also, 3DLUST gave me some pointers a while back. He included some real settings to try, and some great test video renders. Perhaps do a search fro Dynamic Hair in this forum - see if you can find my thread?
    He talks about never having the hair actually collide with the figure - but to use primitive spheres instead - which is easy to do. As Silene says, above, PhilW not only has some greeat advice, but a really cool V4 Proxy and a conforming V4 Proxy. This first you animate as if it were V4, the second, instead, you simply conform it to your V4. Either way, you end up with less polygons for the hair to interact with.

I must say, however, that after a whole lot of experimentation with every piece of Dynamic Hair info I could get my paws on, I could never get a good animation from it. I even tried NOT simulating it. It still jitters all over the place. I have finally decided that dynamic hair is simply for stills. Some day I hope to prove myself wrong, because it's the best CG Hair I've ever used, otherwise.

edited December 1969

If you don't arrive there yourself, I believe that I will not arrive too!
    I also tested with low poly caps, but it is not better…
    I created a sequence with a woman under water, that gives excellent results but the character must always move during the sequence so that the hairs follows the movements.
    I will make other tests by applying a very great gravity in the scene (-500?) and collisions distances = 0, I will see…

edited December 1969

If you don't arrive there yourself, I believe that I will not arrive too!
    I also tested with low poly caps, but it is not better…
    I created a sequence with a woman under water, that gives excellent results but the character must always move during the sequence so that the hairs follows the movements.
    I will make other tests by applying a very great gravity in the scene (-500?) and collisions distances = 0, I will see…

It's important to also consider what the surface material is that the hair is colliding with. You don't want the poly object with the properties of rubber, as it will bounce all over.

The thing with the parented low poly proxy is that you want the hair to collide with that and not the human model. Like physics, once the simulation is done, you can hide the low poly proxy shapes.

All that being said, I haven't really done any meaningful simuations myself. I'm just regurgitating what I've read in the past. ;-)

Personally, I suspect to get good results you need to play around with the stiffness and damping parameters and use the hair shader functions that help drive the shape of the hair, such as kink, frizz, wave, etc. as little as possible. That and low poly proxy objects. I also wonder if lots of joints in the guide hair can magnify the jitters that we see.

Good luck!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 2013

my tests using carrara hair painted on conforming hairs not as jittery I found.
    still not great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i7dCgY7zXU

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 2013

Hum, it is not ideal either…
    I never was to see in the shaders functions.
    Can you explain me, or better, make me a screenshoot of your adjustments?
    Beautiful animation all the same!

Post edited by DUDU on
    edited December 1969

I haven't given up entirely on it - but the way it blinks like that is entirely unacceptable for me. I need a lot of shots where the character is mostly still. It does not work well for that, as far as I've found so far. Like I say, even when I don't actually simulate the movement, it spazzes. Yours is doing it too, Wendy. I got far enough where I can get it something like what you've got there. Which still doesn't work for me. Bummer, cuz it looks so good!